Dual Radio Question - S1000 / Please help!

Reaction score
Hello guys, I recently bought a S1000 + A2 + Z15 deal. I also have the Lightbridge. I wish to operate the camera independently (2 radios). Which of the following set-ups is possible and what do you recommend:

Option 1- One Futaba radio going straight to the A2 (for control) and a second receiver for a second controller in order to control the gimbal. In this case, can the second receiver be a 2.4Ghz? (would it interfere with the A2 which is also 2.4?) - no lightbridge involved.

Option 2 - Lightbridge with 2 radios for control and video.

Option 3 - Lightbridge for control and video of the gimbal. A second radio connected straight to the A2 for the pilot (with perhaps another small fixed fpv camera, and the Mark II for data log and telemetry, and a 5.8G video transmitter).

Option 4 - Similar to Option 1 (pilot's radio straight to the A2, cameraman's radio straight to a receiver attached to the gimbal), but video of gimbal being sent through a Lightbridge. Pilot could have the extra camera setup specified in option 3. The advantage of this setup is that we could use a radio with no trainer's port for the camera control.

Option #4 would be my choice, if it is possible to achieve. What do you think and what do you recommend? any other creative suggestions?

Additional question 1, if an Option 2 is chosen, can the IOSD Mark II still be used for data log only?
Additional question 2, have the issues of the A2 dealing with using its internal rx been solved?

Thanks a lot guys!!!! :D

Why would you not use the Lightbridge as it is intended?
This will allow dual radio control and has 2 channels of video - HDMI for the main camera and AV for the FPV system. You will need a 2nd receiver for the pilot view, but that's about all.

Lightbridge takes care of the R/C via its 2.4GHz telemetry link, so introducing another 2.4GHz radio for control would be quite dangerous - especially as the TX on the Lightbridge is 100mW - so more powerful than most r/c TXs.

Simple radios with a trainer port can be had for £50 - even an old 35MHz set would do, so this is a small cost compared to the rest of the rig. Lightbridge also supports OSD, so no issue here either. You are also disabling the receiver on the A2, so this potential failure point is avoided as well.

If you only want to use the Lightbridge for video, swap out the radio control for an Immersion long range 440MHz system. This will give you excellent range and no possibility of interference.

Hello friend! Thank you for your quick reply. Some questions:

This will allow dual radio control and has 2 channels of video - HDMI for the main camera and AV for the FPV system.
[/quote]

Will telemetry be seen in that second FPV stream? If not, can the Mark II be used to get it?

You will need a 2nd receiver for the pilot view, but that's about all.

Not a problem, as I have 2 receivers.

Simple radios with a trainer port can be had for £50 - even an old 35MHz set would do, so this is a small cost compared to the rest of the rig.

What is a low-priced radio that you would recommend for this purpose? I don't want to spend a lot of money on a radio which will only be used thru the trainer port (as the actual transmitter inside will not be used, since it is going thru the lightbridge). It might be worth mentioning that the main radio that I have is the 14SG, which would be used for the pilot. The second radio would only be for the gimbal (Black Magic Z15) so a cheap one would be good.

Also, if I follow this route, can the Mark II still be wired in for data log?

Thank you!!!

No reason why you cannot wire any OSD into the FPV feed, as it is an analogue signal. Just connect as normal - between the camera and the Lightbridge. Not sure if you can switch the Lightbridge OSD to different streams, so worth experimenting first.

The Twister Planet R/C - http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.uk/d ... avmain=R/C equipment&subcatname=Planet RC is less than £50, has 5 channels and a trainer socket. Perfect for gimbal control and still looks quite "pro" as well.

noiseboy72 said:
No reason why you cannot wire any OSD into the FPV feed, as it is an analogue signal. Just connect as normal - between the camera and the Lightbridge. Not sure if you can switch the Lightbridge OSD to different streams, so worth experimenting first.

The Twister Planet R/C - http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.uk/d ... avmain=R/C equipment&subcatname=Planet RC is less than £50, has 5 channels and a trainer socket. Perfect for gimbal control and still looks quite "pro" as well.

Thanks a lot pal!!! Very useful information, I really appreciate it! :D

imprimatur said:
Additional question 2, have the issues of the A2 dealing with using its internal rx been solved?

What issues?

The only irritating one that I have is that you can't set the ESCs easily with it. You need a separate rx to set them. However, that is a one-time event unless you have to change one out or you change your tx.

ladykate said:
imprimatur said:

What issues?

The only irritating one that I have is that you can't set the ESCs easily with it. You need a separate rx to set them. However, that is a one-time event unless you have to change one out or you change your tx.

Some people have reported fly away issues, or lack of control. I guess they are just isolated cases. :roll:

imprimatur said:
Some people have reported fly away issues, or lack of control. I guess they are just isolated cases. :roll:

Well... obviously it hasn't been a problem with me. Proper GPS and compass alignment, etc, are assumed. Control is fine if you set the gains right. No flyaways... somewhat the opposite. I lost video and orientation when it was at the far end of a pass. Couldn't tell which way it was going so I flipped the transmitter off and it came back to me like it was supposed to... surprisingly, I took a minute to realize what I had to do - was going to just walk that way until I could tell the orientation better - then it dawned on me that the RTH switch was much easier. :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav