Dual cameras(two gopros) on one phantom 2. Possible?

Reaction score
I need to know if I may use a top mounted fixed gopro as my fpv cam so as to see where I am going and use as my piloting feed while at the same time using a gimble and another gopro below also with its own transmitter dedicated for filming steady shots. I would view the top mount feed via a controller mounted monitor and the gimble one via a tripod mounted monitor.

Yes, two cameras with two transmitters is possible, but I'm not sure how well it will work out in practice. A couple of things:

- Do you really want a GoPro for the piloting feed? You won't get all that resolution sent to your piloting monitor. You can buy REALLY inexpensive and REALLY light ccd cameras, and I think I've even seen some combo kits with a camera and transmitter all mounted together in a small package that you could tape to the top of your Phantom.

- From what I understand, there is quite a bit of "bleeding" into other channels with the video transmitters. That is, if your piloting transmitter is on Ch 1 your filming receiver on Ch 2 or 3 might pick up Ch 1 too. You should pick channels as far apart as possible. Or, you could use an entirely different band for the piloting feed.

In my opinion, it would be simpler to use a setup that allowed video input switching. The DJI iOSD Mark II does this. It takes two inputs and allows you to switch between them. I would still use a cheap/light camera for the piloting feed. If you're going to go the two transmitter route, you really should be comfortable with the various parts of an FPV system. There are some great videos in the FAQ section of fpvlabs.com

Thanks guys
Right on about the ccd, yah just have a coue extra Gopros laying around, thought to use em for that reason but for added size and weight it doesn't seem worth it.
Yah I think ill start out switching with mark II and see how it fairs. I will likely evolve into a dual transmitter set up later when I get a few more dollars to throw at it. I think I will use an entirely different band also like suggested. Gota look into wich is recommended. I think I have 3 choices?

Ok cool so no top mount. How about right in front (In between the top and bottom) or would you imagine with some of these tiny CCDs I may be able to fit one on the bottom just above the gimble. I think I could hide it there from view of the gimble mountes Gopro.
In fact I just ordered my phantom yesterday and don't have it yet. So all this is inquiry is based on imagination and research so thanks for your help.

Now the other thing I'm trying to do witch I think is kinda fun is to find some sort of video mixer that would overlay the GoPro footage over the fpv footage in a smaller window on the same monitor. (Eventually when I do get another transmitter.)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj