Dual Battery Mod

Yes, seems low to me too. My p3p batts are about 10 months old, and taken good care of. I need to hover test with just one of those to compare. But yes, I want more, maybe not doable at 6000'+

What do you get stock? Old or new motors? Interesting... a bad connection it's possible ... or a bad battery or cell

Has anyone else done this to center the weight distribution? Did it cause weird camera vibration at speed? Annoying. Handles perfectly otherwise. I restored it to its original position, camera is now smooth again. Maybe air pressure is building up on the front lip, maybe if i give the air somewhere to go hmmm.

yKGJd8o.jpg

its nice to see ya around here LeeSK! Here's to seeing you posting some distance flights man, i recall a few months ago you were pushing it hard and getting some great flights!!
Multistar High Capacity 6600mAh 4S U$42.85 VS
MultiStar LiHV High Capacity 6600mAh 4S U$31.99 I can't buy Lihv one from global Hobby king ....High Capacity one also good choice ?

Multistar High Capacity 6600mAh 4S U$42.85 VS
MultiStar LiHV High Capacity 6600mAh 4S U$31.99 I can't buy Lihv one from global Hobby king ....High Capacity one also good choice ?

Unfortunately MultiStar LiHV batteries are almost unattainable, at least from 6.6 and above. High capacity ones are a close second choice. They are a little heavier and offer less flight time, but if that's all I could get, I'd still trust them over most other brands.

In fact if anyone has MultiStar LIHV 6.6-8.0-10.0's I would be willing to make a considerable trade. Just pm me

Reactions: Digdat0 and Lee SK
Unfortunately MultiStar LiHV batteries are almost unattainable, at least from 6.6 and above. High capacity ones are a close second choice. They are a little heavier and offer less flight time, but if that's all I could get, I'd still trust them over most other brands.

In fact if anyone has MultiStar LIHV 6.6-8.0-10.0's I would be willing to make a considerable trade. Just pm me
i have an 8 i can barter with ya on ;) lol

Reactions: Lee SK

Is it possible to charge up to 15.2v with Multistar High Capacity?

Is it possible to charge up to 15.2v with Multistar High Capacity?

I don't currently have an 8.0 LIHV, because I crashed/trashed it, but I do have that 8.0 14.8 version, and I overcharged it with an LIHV charger to 4.30. It's probably extremely dangerous and I did it outside in the middle of my yard, I only did it once and it discharged fine and didn't show any problems with puffing or overheating. I'm not recommending this, but it can't be done. I don't know the long-term ramifications of doing this. Maybe somebody on this thread can chime in. But I can't confirm that you can overpack the 14.8 to 4. 30 per cell

Sorry I just joined in.. but if you guys are discussing overcharging a normal lipo 4.2v per cell to a lihv voltage if 4.35v per cell then I just wanted to chime in and tell you it def can be done. I have done it and have seen it done many times..

I did it on accident as I had my charger still set to lihv when I charged my normal lipo and not noticing until after the charge was finished.. I immediately discharged the lipo all the way down from 4.35 down to 3.8v per cell, then charged it back up to the normal 4.2v per cell and used it.. I never had any ill affects such as puffing or power loss as dirtybum mentioned above..

I know there are lots of guys who use the zippy compact lipos and over charge them to 4.35v per cell to get longer flights outta their phantom 3s but I def don't advise doing it.. if your gonna do it, keep in mind it is deffinetly dangorus.. always use a lipo bag and be on high alert.. I also would recommend that if you DO decide to do this, I wouldn't do it too often, as it's very hard on the cells because chemically they aren't designed to hold that kind of voltage, but from my experience and from what I have saw, it does work, and they do last a lot longer in the air as far as flight times and all that.. there was a guy who used 2 compact lipos zippys 1800mah I think, and overcharged both of them and used them along with a stock p3 batt and he went 9 miles and got over 30min of flight time! That's insane.. I can prolly find the video for you guys If your curious..

Like I said If you DO want to do this.. I would say your best bet is to plan out your long distance flight.. make sure every thing is just right.. and if the weather and day is a perfect day for record breaking distances then maybe go for it if you feel comfortable .. but I wouldn't do it on a regular occasion.. maybe just for the days you want that little extra power/battery life to get you that little bit farther for a goal or record ..

Again, I'm not saying it's ok, and I'm not telling you to do it. It's super dangorus and IF you do it, please be aware of what could happen, and of the risks you could be taking.

Hey guys, been gone awhile, weather in NY has been really bad for flying lately so I havnt flown in a month or so, in the mean time I did some altering of my venom fly 2300 lihv externals.. iv been wanting to do this mod for some time now and finally had the chance to do it last night.

Previously I was running 2x venom fly 2300 lihvs one on each side of my battery wings along with a battery clip and a xt60 Y harness.. in total I had too much wire, and a total of 6 connectors between my external packs and my quad.. this created a TON of extra weight as well a lot of bottlenecks for voltage/amperage drop.
3e0f28138323c469f9a18c716e1f8603.jpg

So last night I decided to permanently solder both venom fly backs together in parallel, which eliminated not 3 but 4 xt60 connectors in total along with over an inch of access wire.

a791193b55d725ba930f52924649cebf.jpg

I then put a zip tie between the packs to make it clean and secure

cc2017f6a7c24cedba393cea418d0db2.jpg

Then mounted them on my p3 for a test fit.. I left myself JUST enough wire to reach the battery clip, which was my intention as I want as little resistance between the two packs and the drone as possible.
a2c4a69917f4d4db60e2260bde1d72a2.jpg

6d5e5d81a7ba34642e7effdef61504e8.jpg

8142661902af16a8025bf207b92b1834.jpg

As you can see it looks nice, tight, and clean.

I was getting between 25-27min tops before i permanently joined the packs together.. my time in the air always fluctuating a lot because I also found out last night that one of the solder joints on the Y harness I was using was broken, and it was only making connection part of the time..

So in the end I have very high hopes, I fixed all of the solder joints, eliminated 4 connectors/bottle necks, and between the 4 connectors and over an inch of wire that I removed I know I lost quite a bit of weight.

I plan on trying this out today. Gonna test more for time in the air instead of long distance.. just as a start to compare.

If you wonder how I'm gonna charge the packs i just use my venom duo pro charger, I have a parallel board that I use, so it's gonna be the same charge procedure only instead of plugging in 2 battery power plugs and 2 balance plugs to charge it, now I'll just be plugging in one battery power plug and 2 balance plugs.

14d915ef9baa177c274997c3f567680d.jpg

I also charge my phantom 3 battery's with this charger.. I use the phantom 2/3 charge cords made by venom and what I did was solder those together on parallel.. I just make sure the two p3 smart packs I'm going to charge are near the same voltage.. and from there you just plug them in and charge it like any normal battery.. keeping in mind you gotta double your amp rate.

d1891c99551d59bd3282e2bf25f1c41f.jpg

fe4d16f8f8c4679edd2482a67a67b332.jpg

Hey guys, been gone awhile, weather in NY has been really bad for flying lately so I havnt flown in a month or so, in the mean time I did some altering of my venom fly 2300 lihv externals.. iv been wanting to do this mod for some time now and finally had the chance to do it last night.

Previously I was running 2x venom fly 2300 lihvs one on each side of my battery wings along with a battery clip and a xt60 Y harness.. in total I had too much wire, and a total of 6 connectors between my external packs and my quad.. this created a TON of extra weight as well a lot of bottlenecks for voltage/amperage drop.

So last night I decided to permanently solder both venom fly backs together in parallel, which eliminated not 3 but 4 xt60 connectors in total along with over an inch of access wire.

Then mounted them on my p3 for a test fit.. I left myself JUST enough wire to reach the battery clip, which was my intention as I want as little resistance between the two packs and the drone as possible.

I was getting between 25-27min tops before i permanently joined the packs together.. my time in the air always fluctuating a lot because I also found out last night that one of the solder joints on the Y harness I was using was broken, and it was only making connection part of the time..

So in the end I have very high hopes, I fixed all of the solder joints, eliminated 4 connectors/bottle necks, and between the 4 connectors and over an inch of wire that I removed I know I lost quite a bit of weight.

I plan on trying this out today. Gonna test more for time in the air instead of long distance.. just as a start to compare.

If you wonder how I'm gonna charge the packs i just use my venom duo pro charger, I have a parallel board that I use, so it's gonna be the same charge procedure only instead of plugging in 2 battery power plugs and 2 balance plugs to charge it, now I'll just be plugging in one battery power plug and 2 balance plugs.

I also charge my phantom 3 battery's with this charger.. I use the phantom 2/3 charge cords made by venom and what I did was solder those together on parallel.. I just make sure the two p3 smart packs I'm going to charge are near the same voltage.. and from there you just plug them in and charge it like any normal battery.. keeping in mind you gotta double your amp rate.

Thanks for your details^^

Reactions: NoBiffBetter

nice! thanks for sharing the details, this looks solid. Curious to know if you see improvements!

Reactions: NoBiffBetter

When using those cables to charge a stock DJI battery, there's no need for a balancing cable ?

Yes, seems low to me too. My p3p batts are about 10 months old, and taken good care of. I need to hover test with just one of those to compare. But yes, I want more, maybe not doable at 6000'+

I get 24-25 min all day hovering with my p3a.. new style motors tho.. 2x venom fly 2300s.. one on each side. Still not happy with that tho. Iv been able to go 7miles out and barley make it a Back. I usually get 26-27 min flights when doing long distance on this setup, but I haven't tried my setup in temps warmer than 50 degrees yet as I live in NY so I'm hoping it gets better this summer.

If not I'm thinking about going with a 5000-6000mah multi star and making it a true split pack. And if I don't do that I will more than likely get a premade 6000mah split pack made by horizon.

the smart board inside the battery facilitates the balancing function.

Anytime man, love sharing stuff with you guys, and I will def keep you posted on the details of my best flight. Didn't get a chance to fly the other day to test. But I'm sure there will be some improvement.

And digdat0 is correct, the p3 battery is a smart battery which has its own circuitry board inside, this allows the battery to balance its own cells.

Basically the battery IS the charger; all you need is a 17v power source to allow the battery to charge up.. in my case, since I room both venom cables I had and solderd them in parallel I now can charge both battery's at once. But like I said, you should always make sure the voltages between the two battery's you are going to charge are very similar in voltages.. otherwise the battery with the higher voltage will try to charge the battery with the lower voltage..

I havnt figured out if this is really that bad or not yet..cuz I think that dji has put some type of an amp limiter inside their battery's when in CHARGE mode so say after maybe 6 or so amps the battery will not pull anything higher than 6amps during a charge. So if this is the case, then it really doesn't matter if you have one battery trying to charge the other, because the battery being charged may not accept amperage of any amount that could hurt it..

But then again, if dji doesn't have this amperage limiter set up into the smart battery during charge mode, then it could get bad.. if there was no amperage protection and you had it set up like I do, but one battery was significantly higher in voltage than the other, then the battery with the higher voltage would rush into the battery of lower voltage.. at a possible 100+ amps and could smoke or blow up your lower voltage battery that was accepting the charge..

Again.. iv never had an issue, nor have I played around with it enough to determine whether there is indeed an amperage limiter or not, tho I'm almost positive that there is.. but all I do is make sure the voltages are close, with in .20 of a volt or so, and plug each battery in to the harness, turn on each battery's power ( if you don't turn the battery's on, then the charger will not see there is a battery connected and will not charge to charge them.. and from there I choose my amperage, normally never exceeding 1c charge rate.. which in parallel that would mean adding the mah of both smart packs together and then choose the "charge" setting not "balance" just charge mode..

Sorry that was so long: just wanted the ppl who have never done this before to know exactly how to do it.

I actually have a video I made in YouTube of how I do it, this wasn't charging in parallel, but it's the same thing just with one battery instead of two.

Link to charging video:

I made this video awhile before I made the two separate harnesses into one parallel Harness ..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl