Dual Battery Mod

i made this post in a different thread a few months ago, but here's some things i remove for weight, and their weight

UPCyJGO.jpg

All together how many grams were you able to get off the quad? Iv been thinking about doing some weight reduction myself but the thing is I really don't wanna alter the physical quad itself incase I ever sell it.. Plus I don't want it to look buchard as I also like to use the quad for normal flying as well and still like taking gorgeous smooth videos.

I made a 40k run the other day, it was way too cold for the battery's, I tried to keep them as warm as I could, but it didn't help.. It was only maybe 35 deg F, tops outside and was extremely foggy as well.. Def shouldn't have tried to go as far as I did.. I made it 12k feet shy of my takeoff spot and had to ditch my quad at a local school, thank god i was able to land it from 12k away and recoverd it easily after a 10 min drive out to the location. I would have made it back had I gotten my normal 27-28 min batt times, but because it was so cold out i couldn't keep the quad up in the air any longer than 22min.. So had I had that extra 5-6 min of batt life I know I woulda made it...

I'm thinking of either weight reductions.. Simple ones, or a battery change. Some ppl out there are getting 30-35 min! That's where I wanna be. If I get there then a 40k flight should be cake walk in the right conditions.

Here's some pictures of my flight and flight log.. You can see in the live feed bow bad the fog was, it was pure white, and all I had to rely on is the map, otherwise I wouldn't have known where I was to make my emergency landing.
4befd5ceaeeb02dfd97b4a67285e3971.jpg
12c434156ff367e8709a61de03b6f39f.jpg
86a0626216e6a28e22f9fc080ad627bf.jpg
fe15609f240da2474cc418ca12f378b2.jpg

Ended up landing it smack dab in the middle of a baseball diamond for easy pickup ;)... Def don't wanna put myself in that situation again tho if I can help it. The fog was so bad my whole quad was moist. Luckly all was fine on it.. Man they built these p3's tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Digdat0
All together how many grams were you able to get off the quad? Iv been thinking about doing some weight reduction myself but the thing is I really don't wanna alter the physical quad itself incase I ever sell it.. Plus I don't want it to look buchard as I also like to use the quad for normal flying as well and still like taking gorgeous smooth videos.

I made a 40k run the other day, it was way too cold for the battery's, I tried to keep them as warm as I could, but it didn't help.. It was only maybe 35 deg F, tops outside and was extremely foggy as well.. Def shouldn't have tried to go as far as I did.. I made it 12k feet shy of my takeoff spot and had to ditch my quad at a local school, thank god i was able to land it from 12k away and recoverd it easily after a 10 min drive out to the location. I would have made it back had I gotten my normal 27-28 min batt times, but because it was so cold out i couldn't keep the quad up in the air any longer than 22min.. So had I had that extra 5-6 min of batt life I know I woulda made it...

I'm thinking of either weight reductions.. Simple ones, or a battery change. Some ppl out there are getting 30-35 min! That's where I wanna be. If I get there then a 40k flight should be cake walk in the right conditions.

Here's some pictures of my flight and flight log.. You can see in the live feed bow bad the fog was, it was pure white, and all I had to rely on is the map, otherwise I wouldn't have known where I was to make my emergency landing.
4befd5ceaeeb02dfd97b4a67285e3971.jpg
12c434156ff367e8709a61de03b6f39f.jpg
86a0626216e6a28e22f9fc080ad627bf.jpg
fe15609f240da2474cc418ca12f378b2.jpg

Ended up landing it smack dab in the middle of a baseball diamond for easy pickup ;)... Def don't wanna put myself in that situation again tho if I can help it. The fog was so bad my whole quad was moist. Luckly all was fine on it.. Man they built these p3's tough.

Glad you made a safe landing and got it back, that's the key. I think you were smart to land, 12k is a good 4+min and in those conditions, better safe than sorry. Land and fly another day!! Do you have a phone number written on it anywhere? If not, maybe good idea just in case. That was some thick fog! Also try taping over the vents which go to the battery area, will keep your dji battery going better in colder conditions. I find it's more sensitive to cold than the externals.

Saw this pic on the other thread before and saved it, i dont have a scale myself so this was great, thanks :)

After 56hours of flying managed to burn ESC, now waiting for new board and motors. Tried to fly with other P3P (older model)
and it's a battery hog.. is yours with old or new motors?

i made this post in a different thread a few months ago, but here's some things i remove for weight, and their weight

UPCyJGO.jpg

Saw this pic on the other thread before and saved it, i dont have a scale myself so this was great, thanks :)

After 56hours of flying managed to burn ESC, now waiting for new board and motors. Tried to fly with other P3P (older model)
and it's a battery hog.. is yours with old or new motors?

mine have all been new motors aircraft, which seems to be better on battery. But, some believe that the old motors can go faster in GPS mode .. so its a trade-off I think :) Ive only flown new motors. I'm surprised you had an ESC burn out .. Ive got 71 hours, 8.5million feet and 485 flights on my DJI GO .. not one ESC issue. In fact, other than a battery failing on me (which DJI warrantied the fix), I've had zero issues outside of a few compass errors.

I totally missed this question .. sorry! I think I've shaved about 30-40g of weight off the aircraft. I've taken everything off which is not required from the one bird :) I dont have a way to weigh the whole thing, so all i can do is measure some of the parts :) When i stripped the gimbal down to bare bones camera, that removed 100g as well. I only flew that setup once though, broke the gimbal ribbon and need to buy a new one.

Reactions: NoBiffBetter
mine have all been new motors aircraft, which seems to be better on battery. But, some believe that the old motors can go faster in GPS mode .. so its a trade-off I think :) Ive only flown new motors. I'm surprised you had an ESC burn out .. Ive got 71 hours, 8.5million feet and 485 flights on my DJI GO .. not one ESC issue. In fact, other than a battery failing on me (which DJI warrantied the fix), I've had zero issues outside of a few compass errors.

I was coming back from +20km flight and when i was landing it was kinda whining a bit, after that it just kept saying ESC error and doesn't fire the motors on. Might just be one motor, but it haves 56 hours on the clock so got a new board and motors. I know i could pull log out and see which arm/motor but.. lazy and i wouldn't replace just one motor anyway.

About weight reducing, i would like to cut the original landing gear just under the antennas, mostly for looks (crossbars are not heavy, but well.. few grams) but if i do that, i need to relocate the compass and not sure if there is any other good place for it. Thing seems to be super sensitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Digdat0
Glad you made a safe landing and got it back, that's the key. I think you were smart to land, 12k is a good 4+min and in those conditions, better safe than sorry. Land and fly another day!! Do you have a phone number written on it anywhere? If not, maybe good idea just in case. That was some thick fog! Also try taping over the vents which go to the battery area, will keep your dji battery going better in colder conditions. I find it's more sensitive to cold than the externals.

Thanks man! Yah I'm glad I decided to just land it and not push it any farther. Idk what I was thinking I must have been nuts to go that far in fog and cold weather like such as that haha. The bird was pretty wet, since then I have cleaned it compelltly and looked over every aspect of it including blades and motors, and all is good, even took another flight on it since then and she flew like a charm.

And about the tape on the battery vents, I have thought and even talked about doing this on this forum before but have never done it, I should try it and see if my flight times increase... To be honest tho I would have to think it was more the external battery's that are so affected, because Everytime I do measurements on the battery's after a run, my main batt is around 80 degrees F give or take, and my externals are always much lower usually between 40 degrees to 55 degrees.. This time of year is just tough for long distance.. The wind and the temperature never wanna work with you. I thought about making a little sleeve of some sort to put my externals in, kinda like insulation.. But then I thought, that's just more weight and will the trade off be that worth it? But maybe I'll give that a go.. As well as tape the battery vents. I wouldn't have thought the smart batt was more sensitive but maybe your right.. Although it does stay way warmer than my externals as it it, because it's surrounded by other electronics inside the quad itself.

I feel that warming my externals would help a ton reguardless, so maybe I'll try both ideas one at a time and get back to you with which one made a bigger difference in the cold.

While waiting my new ESC board, modded old motor p3p.. Better COG with external battery. I think i could move the gimbal little more, to get it perfectly balanced. Anyway, now it's using motors more equal and sound is lot quieter when hovering. (burned ESC with new model p3p due heavy use of the rear ones)

phantom23.jpg

phantom22.jpg

I tried to charge original p3 battery with skyrc d100, it says cell error or connection error. Battery was powered on, and using 5A lihv charge (not the balanced one) .. dunno whats wrong. Where i can find the latest firmware for D100 charger? skyrc website is a mess, if someone has link to latest fw, please link it here. Thanks.

Before someone asks.. had to make new OFDM-gimbal cable, original was too short. VPS board completely removed, so battery can be secured with straps + 3m dual lock under the VPS cover.

phantom24.jpg

phantom25.jpg

I know that the velcro strap is kinda wrong direction over the external battery now. Also had the battery crosswise like everyone else.. but had to test how it works.

Last edited:
I like what you did with the strap tho.. First time iv seen that done.. I have thought about moving my gimbal mount the way you have it, and making my own holder for another p3 battery.. Then just using the battery clip I already have coming from the one stock battery in the stock location.. Run a custom made harness to connect from the battery clip into the second p3 battery mounted under the vps.. Using the venom charge cord I already have.. Cuz the end on the venom charge cord could go directly into the second battery, and all I would need to do is cut off the bullets on the end that would typically go into a charger.. And put an xt60 connector on it instead.. Then plug that into my battery clip and walla.. Two p3 battery's linked in parallel, one in the stock location and one on the bottom of the vps. But if I did this I would like to do it with out moving my gimbal forward.. Cuz I really don't want to alter the stock look of my p3.. I do a lot more than just long range with it and would hate to alter it JUST for long range.. This is why for now I have been using the battery clip with a Y harness and two saddle battery's instead with battery wings..

I may eventually go tbis rout tho.. I feel as tho the stock p3 battery's are gonna be by far better than any other 4s for the power that it puts out and for the weight that it is..

I like your setup man, looks great! Let us know how long you get in the air, what battery are you using again for under the vps?

I think you will like it more if you use it for video, less props and shadows. Doesn't have stock look after, but it takes less than 5min to make it stock again.

Black battery under vps is ms5200. That gives little more than 30mins with some wind and subzero temps, with old p3p. Still breaking it in.

Ordered the kit maxwell smart has, stock p3 battery under vps, but i will take only carbon gimbal plate and thinner vps cover out of the kit. I might relocate the ofdm module under vps cover later, there is limited space near battery compartment inside p3 for it. Needs some grinding and cutting but it can be done. This would be best for external battery mount, huge flat place under the belly.

Might move it there later, not sure how hot it gets but since i'm located near arctic circle, i dont think it will cause problems..

I think you will like it more if you use it for video, less props and shadows. Doesn't have stock look after, but it takes less than 5min to make it stock again.

Black battery under vps is ms5200. That gives little more than 30mins with some wind and subzero temps, with old p3p. Still breaking it in.

Ordered the kit maxwell smart has, stock p3 battery under vps, but i will take only carbon gimbal plate and thinner vps cover out of the kit. I might relocate the ofdm module under vps cover later, there is limited space near battery compartment inside p3 for it. Needs some grinding and cutting but it can be done. This would be best for external battery mount, huge flat place under the belly.

Might move it there later, not sure how hot it gets but since i'm located near arctic circle, i dont think it will cause problems..

Nice man. That is some good time in the air with the ms5200 how much weight have you stripped off it tho cuz that's def gonna factor in that time.. I'm almost thinking I'm better off running one ms5200 or another stock p3 batt under the belly than the two venom fly 2300 I am running in parallel now.. I went with these tho because I like the configuration.. It is well balanced, and east to strap- with out covering my vps- as I still use it at times.. But so many ppl are getting 30
Min plus with the ms 5200 and second p3 that I'm almost thinking of going that rout.

Before I do tho, I am going to try a few differnt battery combinations .. I have a few others in mind that Iv been keepin my eye on.. Cuz If I can get close to 30 min in the air with the dual saddle bag batts then I'm prolly gonna keep it the way it is just cuz of the reasons I listed above.

Also.. There are a few guys I have seen using regular compact lipos but over packing them to 4.35v per cell .. I would have to assume tho not only is this pretty dangourus but it will prolly hurt the life span of your packs a BUNCH.. Have any of you ever tried to over pack them to get longer flight? I'm talking with regular lipo batts.. Not lihv.

The one guy who overpacked the 2 compact lipos got like 35 min flight! And another guy who tried it got like 36-37min which is just crazy

Nope, i don't have any regular lipo's lying around, just some lihv hyperions (had them side mounted, just like you) can't member what times i was getting, 1800mAhs, 2400 hyperions buffed after few flights. I have strippped pretty much everything on your (?) pics before + led boards removed, completely. i will strip more inside shell when i get my new motherboard and motors for my newer p3p. There is plenty to cut off, eg. rear of the battery deparment. Modded it to have room for the ofdm-board. I have ms6600 pack too, not tried yet. 3-4 cycles with charger from full to storage, to help a little (maybe, idk) i will try 6600 with wooden props (xoar precision) later, they are more silent, weights little more than plastic/carbon but also more stiff for added weight. I love them, over any other props i've tried, because p3 sounds less like angry bee in a emphty coke can.. :)

Last edited:
Nope, i don't have any regular lipo's lying around, just some lihv hyperions (had them side mounted, just like you) can't member what times i was getting, 1800mAhs, 2400 hyperions buffed after few flights. I have strippped pretty much everything on your (?) pics before + led boards removed, completely. i will strip more inside shell when i get my new motherboard and motors for my newer p3p. There is plenty to cut off, eg. rear of the battery deparment. Modded it to have room for the ofdm-board. I have ms6600 pack too, not tried yet. 3-4 cycles with charger from full to storage, to help a little (maybe, idk) i will try 6600 with wooden props (xoar precision) later, they are more silent, weights little more than plastic/carbon but also more stiff for added weight. I love them, over any other props i've tried, because p3 sounds less like angry bee in a emphty coke can.. :)

Nice man sounds like you have done a lot and plan to do much more, can't wait to see it all done.

So you prefer wooden props cuz it eliminates noise? Yet adds weight.. Which you are stripping many things off to try and loose weight lol. You really must hate the noise' haha.

I don't mind it.. Tho I have never used carbon props, I have thought about it tho just becusee they have a lot less give and tho the quad wouldn't be as stable I would think that the flight time would be slighter longer with carbon vs stock.. When you used carbon vs stock was there a difference? The weight is a big reason I may change to them..

I use 2x 2300 lihv venom fly, they have not puffed and give me roughly 27 min of flight.. I have only tried these batts maybe 4 or 5 times so I'm sure they arnt fully broken in yet, also the warmest outside temp I have been able to test in is 48-50 deg F.. So I'm hoping my times get better for sure..

Also my quad of anything is heavier than stock not lighter.. It's basically stock with an added 2x venom lipos, carbon gimbal guard, which I really like when landing on uneven ground and hate to get rid of it, as well as the two side battery wings which also add some weight. So now that I think about it .. Overall I don't think 27 min is too bad considering the weight of my quad + outside temps being very low and to top it all off my lipos only having maybe 5 runs on them in total.

Hopfully I get some better times once the weather warms up and starts cooperating.. I was gonna test more tomorrow but now they call for lake affect snow -I live in NY .. The a-hole end of the earth lol.

My best flight thus far was 35k there and back with around 6min or so left.. I went for a 40k the other day.. Which I posted on here and had to ditch the quad in a safe spot cuz I wasn't gonna make it home (temp was only 35 or less def F and the wind had shifted on my return flight) def not good conditions to push for 40k haha. But I live for the rush and had a blast doing it. And got my quad back safe and sound after a 10min drive to the location.

Once your all done with your weight reductions I have a feeling your times are gonna be phenomenal! Keep up the good work man!

Hey curious what you guys have for voltage on your external battery's when your done flying .. I noticed that when my phantom battery is dead my voltage of my externals is still around 3.7v no load.. P3 Powerd on its around 3.6v.. I think the stock battery is programmed to turn off after 3.6? Cuz I usually land on or right before critical battery.. And today, both times I was done flying I unplugged my externals and 2-20 seconds later my quad would just shut down.. And the voltage after I checked was around 3.7v

Does this sound a little high to you for it to be at critical? Both flights I used the same phantom 3 batt.. It only has maybe 8 runs on it..

Ouch...sorry to see you bird in that state DB ..did you hit bitumen? how close where from home?

Hi No Biffbetter..yeah I fly back from 37k and landed with 4% battery...external was a MS 4000 lihv and still had some life left in it...not like DB but as everyone knows long range flying is ballsy stuff..cheers!

Reactions: NoBiffBetter
Also.. There are a few guys I have seen using regular compact lipos but over packing them to 4.35v per cell .. I would have to assume tho not only is this pretty dangourus but it will prolly hurt the life span of your packs a BUNCH.. Have any of you ever tried to over pack them to get longer flight? I'm talking with regular lipo batts.. Not lihv.

The one guy who overpacked the 2 compact lipos got like 35 min flight! And another guy who tried it got like 36-37min which is just crazy

Sent from my SM-G935T using PhantomPilots mobile app

**** that was a long read. Thanks all multistar 5200 ordered!

Tip: dont try and solder in 12awg like me, its so fat and awkward ive given up and gone with 14awg. The stuff already in the drone is only 16awg

Last edited:
**** that was a long read. Thanks all multistar 5200 ordered!

Tip: dont try and solder in 12awg like me, its so fat and awkward ive given up and gone with 14awg. The stuff already in the drone is only 16awg

I use 14awg.. I think it's more than enough Amps to carry dependent on your wire length.. Try and keep length to a minimal. I am actually going to take some length out of my Y harness this week.. I may even lengthen the battery wires and just solder both positives together from both my packs, and both negatives together , then put 1- xt60 on the end of them.. This way I'm eliminating 2 other connectors which are only rated at around 50amps I believe.. This should help a lot to minimize resistance and will increase the amps/voltage going from both packs to the quad. Thus bettering my performance and flight times. Right now in total I prolly have 8-10" total in 14awg wire.. I'm hoping to cut that in half as well as eliminate 2- xt60 connectors all together.

Has anyone ran both 12awg and 14awg? Did you see any change? I would think 14awg would be plenty.

How many amps is the p3 esc, does anybody know?

And sorry to hear about your quad dirtybum:( I was lucky to recover mine 12k feet away when I went 40k.. Just happened to find a safe landing zone minutes before I was forced to land which in turn saved my quad. For now on I don't fly long distance with out picking out safe landing spots/routs on my return flight first.. This way if I run into trouble I make sure I'm directing my quad in the path of my safe spots.

This little extra planning prior to flight can for sure help save your quad in a jam.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1