Dual Battery Mod

Thinking about splitting a MS LiHV 4000mAh.. how hard of a job is it.. never split a pack before but looking into it.. is it just splitting the 4 cells into 2 and joining the 2 tabs removed via some good wire and aluminium paste/solder ??

are the MS cells glued/taped or easy to pull apart?
Not hard just be careful, for MS batts cut the shrink wrap off only!! Then remove the tape and foam over the top covering wires, theres more tape and kapton tape, remove that as well. Each cell pack is stuck together with small squares of strong 2 sided thin foam tape. Separate down the center. You will need to add length to the bslance plug wires and the one wire that will connect needs to be 8". I made a video doing tthe whole process and will try to post it soon
7d42d3ce77792ce68dc2bf89e903d88d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not hard just be careful, for MS batts cut the shrink wrap off only!! Then remove the tape and foam over the top covering wires, theres more tape and kapton tape, remove that as well. Each cell pack is stuck together with small squares of strong 2 sided thin foam tape. Separate down the center. You will need to add length to the bslance plug wires and the one wire that will connect needs to be 8". I made a video doing tthe whole process and will try to post it soon
7d42d3ce77792ce68dc2bf89e903d88d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for that info PRO...I already ordered the longer balancing leads,12 gauge wire, some more xt60 connectors (in case I want to extend the power leads) ,and some 50mm and 100mm shrink tube (hope one of those sizes work for me)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EFIRDUW/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CMCFZ7G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ETROGP4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shrink Tube

I look forward to watching your video....

Reactions: Strat and Digdat0
So while i wait for some goodies to arrive.. I was bored today and thought i make my current 1300mah batteries blend in more with my drone to avoid the funny looks from people.. (anyone else keep getting ask why the drone looks like TNT is strap to it?)

Re-did my batteries with white PVC shrink wrap and pulled out the dusty vinyl cutter to make some stickers.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

I would recommend using 14 gauge vs 12, 14 is lighter and is more than adequate for the voltage/current demands when using external batteries. Every bit of weight saved translates to longer flying times.

So while i wait for some goodies to arrive.. I was bored today and thought i make my current 1300mah batteries blend in more with my drone to avoid the funny looks from people.. (anyone else keep getting ask why the drone looks like TNT is strap to it?)

Re-did my batteries with white PVC shrink wrap and pulled out the dusty vinyl cutter to make some stickers.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg
looks nice. the CF stickers on the arms looks very nice.

Reactions: Strat
I would recommend using 14 gauge vs 12, 14 is lighter and is more than adequate for the voltage/current demands when using external batteries. Every bit of weight saved translates to longer flying times.

While I do agree that every gram counts, In this case I'm going to split a MS8 (tank battery) which already uses 12 gauge for the leads so I think I really should keep it the same and it'll also add less resistance...

Reactions: Procharged97
I know this has nothing to do with anything but I received my package (hobby king shrink tube) from Hong Kong in 2 days from DHL and my amazon order was shipped from one state away and will be here tomorrow...Yes one was free and the other cost more then product itself but holy cow 2 days from Hong Kong!

By the way 100mm is way to big don't even know what i was thinking...50mm will work...Wish they had 65 or 75mm...I know what ill be doing Saturday...Hopefully not setting my house on fire in the process :)

While I do agree that every gram counts, In this case I'm going to split a MS8 (tank battery) which already uses 12 gauge for the leads so I think I really should keep it the same and it'll also add less resistance...

that's one heavy battery!

I know this has nothing to do with anything but I received my package (hobby king shrink tube) from Hong Kong in 2 days from DHL and my amazon order was shipped from one state away and will be here tomorrow...Yes one was free and the other cost more then product itself but holy cow 2 days from Hong Kong!

While i still wait for my stuff to arrive from HobbyKing via our local post from the AUS warehouse (8hours drive from HK warehouse) the 5th day and counting.

Tried the banggood infinity graphene batteries today total flight 25min 33sec landed with 9% which was mostly hover and some laps on 2 x 1300mah.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoydBros
MS8, is that a Multistar 8000 MAH Battery?

How much weight is the MS 8 ? Why not use 2xMs4 rather splitting a Ms8 ...
For information my MS 4 is 363g ( and Ms 5.2 : 435g , Ms 6.6 : 520g)

Mulitstar 8000mah under your VPS that one heavy battery my max is 6600mah with camera flight I might try 8000mah without camera flight.

How much weight is the MS 8 ? Why not use 2xMs4 rather splitting a Ms8 ...
For information my MS 4 is 363g ( and Ms 5.2 : 435g , Ms 6.6 : 520g)

MS8 LIHV = 630 grams and MS4 LIHV = 353 x 2 = 706 grams...I have a scale so those weights are accurate and I don't know why my MS4's are slightly lighter then yours...I purchased two of them because that was what I originally had planned...I also have two MS8 my first one has a Cell that is slightly weaker then the rest and Hobby king sent me a replacement and that's the one I'm going to test splitting...

Mulitstar 8000mah under your VPS that one heavy battery my max is 6600mah with camera flight I might try 8000mah without camera flight.

Yeah I guess it is...If the bird goes it goes I don't fly over populated areas...Somewhere around 10 flights with it so far...I'll let everyone know If or when it happens...

Reactions: Strat

I wish someone would get one and give it a true test with a straight out flight and back with or without a camera...I personally can't seem to find a good flat location...too many mts in PA...Maybe we find that the 6.6 is better but at least it would be known...My longest flight is only around 36000 and back then going in circles (which I know uses more energy) to drain the battery...40min to 10% . I tried a similar flight with a 6.6 and it wasn't as good...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl