Dual battery for the Phantom 2 Vision

Reaction score
Just new to the forum...
I am purchasing a phantom 2 vision....

I was wondering if anyone had given any thought to adding a second LIPO to the Phantom 2 vision... I know they have a proprietary battery that gives you information back though the Vid link... but has anyone thought to make up a cable / splitter to parallel 2 batteries..

Ex 1 Phantom 2 Vis battery and a second other brand Lipo 11.1v strapped up under the P2Vis... may not read proper in the battery meter but you would know you have a bit of extra juice to get home once you pass the 15 min warning stage....

I figure all the readings I have done people has split the Phantom 1.x battery and ran with 2 batteries...

to he honest I am trying to avoid purchasing 3 or 4 $150+ batteries Sadly it is a $40 Lipo in a fancy proprietary housing

By strapping on an additional LiPo battery, you also strap on additional mass & weight, which in-turn loads the rotors & motors compromising lift & performance and doesn't double your flight time, but only incrementally increases it. But you'd have to be the judge as to whether those trade-offs are worth the extra flight time.

As for the battery, eventually some overseas company will probably manufacture an "open frame" replacement battery case so you can transfer the contents of your DJI battery into the new case and allow you access to the LiPo so you can swap it with a fresh one anytime you want. My guess is the ID & SN is embedded in the PC board the battery connects to so it would remain the same, but I'm just guessing.

iDrone

Yeah, I'm guessing that DJI implemented a security protocol on the 'smart chip' to avoid easily cloning the batteries. This happens too on cameras (maybe some smartphone and laptops too?), so they can control what batteries go into their devices. Usually they cite security and reliability issues for enforcing this, but surely the financial gains cannot be ignored.

And as with 3rd party camera batteries, it doesn't take long for enterprising far eastern companies to crack the security chips... usually the first version that comes out simply bypass the lock, letting you use cheaper 3rd party battery without giving full feature (% of battery doesn't show. Not as critical on cameras than on quadcopters!!) until they 'fully decode' the encryption of the smart chip...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.