Dual Battery 13 min flight video (finally!)

Reaction score
So after I finally got my Hero3 back from GoPro I have been out flying again!

I wanted to do a simple video demonstrating the characteristic and flight time possible on my dual battery setup. I also used it to test a prototype of the popular fibre optic based OSD (that shows you the output of the status LED).

It is not a thrilling video given the territory so don't expect much! In the latter stages of it you can see how even at 1175grams running Hero, FPV and 2 batts, the Phantom is pretty nimble.

Flight time from motors on to motors off is about 12.55 and as you can see this is not just hovering.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECE33j0qXmE[/youtube]

Thats pretty good weight for a 2 batt setup gopro and fpv, my single cam setup and fpv is only 27g lighter then yours but my jello mount is a bit too heavy even though its effective. What batteries are you using?

Turnigy Nanotech 2250 in the shell and the Stock 2200mah under the body. I save a bit of weight using my Hero3 frame (its ike 4g) rather than the Waterproof/Skeleton housing (which I prefer to use if i want steadier shots). Likewise I brave it my not having the GTU10 onboard if i want more than 10mins flight time (adds 75g iirc).

Carbon props seem to have mixed reviews but for me they are really good for coping with this setup. Might get some tri-props some day to see what difference it makes.

I found good carbon props to fly quite well at 8 inch when not too heavy and 9 inch when a bit heavier. The triblades are nice lift wise and I can do 10 minutes with a 1150g phantom and 2700mah battery using those and flying around quite a bit. That 10 minutes is max flight time as in my test I flew to auto land on stock voltage levels.

Last time I weighed my anti jello mount it was close to 200g I think but cant remember exactly and the gimbal I am getting will likely be a lower weight overall as it is only 235g with gopro so thats lighter then my current mount and gopro.

if I were to ditch my mount and mount a second battery instead this would not add much total weight if any to my current setup. I have seen some high capacity light weight batteries but overall I dont mind 8 to 10 minute flight times when flying around a bit.

It would be interesting to see how youd go with triblades on your setup as weight can be quite easily handled by the phantom with those props as I even fly mine up to 1.3kg getting 8 minutes at 2700mah pushing quite hard.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl