Dual Batteries

Yeah, most people have gotten over dual battery phobia by now. Depending on how it's done, it can be quite efficient. If you're ending up with 1400+g after you go dual battery, you'll probably see 10 minute flights. If you're closer to 900g you can get 25 minutes.

Dtacmed said:
Anyone using dual batteries. Comments ? worth the extra weight ? Flight time etc.

I've never done so myself, but I've heard mixed results.
some like the extended flight time, while others don't feel it's worth it in the end just to get 50% more flying time.

IMHO, considering that 1200g is considered the maximum weight of the Phantom, anything over that is less desirable.

If extended flying time is critical for you, then by all means, give it a shot.

But if you want to get the most flying time out of your batteries, you'll get 20% more total flying time just flying with single batteries, and less likely to overwork/overheat your motors doing so.

It comes down to personal taste I think as the main issue is the change in flight characteristics.

I use dual batterys more than not personally and I'm getting over 10 mins now with Zenmuse and FPV (this is with stock props so far... Graupner 9x5's to be tested soon). Triblades are also getting good feedback for better flying at weight.

For nice steady video work it works fine but @ 1298g it is never going to be a sports flyer. I've done plenty of work on dual batt setups and you can fly pretty fast. Just have to watch your descent speeds.

Video demo here of my last 10 min flight (boring vid but proves it can be done):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy1z-qoPWlU[/youtube]

an earlier test without the gimbal saw near 13 mins... again not a stunning vid (except the bit where i come an inch away from a powerline and didn't even know it until i saw the footage!):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECE33j0qXmE[/youtube]

Personally I've never had any issues with hot motors... they tend to be mildly warm to touch post flight.

DeweyAXD said:
Personally I've never had any issues with hot motors... they tend to be mildly warm to touch post flight.

Agreed, this may come down to what conditions you fly (110 degrees in the desert heat?) but the most I'd say is "barely mildly warm" after a 20 minute continuous flight. If your motors are hot at 1200g and not at 900g, it's probably not the extra weight that you should be worried about.

The motors will stand up to a lot more punishment than even a very overweight Phantom could ever give them.

They are identical to the 2212/920kv Red DJI ones used on the Flamewheels. I get 15 mins flight from my 1.9kg F450 (using a 5800mah 4S) with those and again they are not even hot to touch. There is no denying that weight will of course work the bearings harder though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik