Dual batteries,good or bad??

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Phantom 1 from someone that was upgrading. It came set up with a mount for dual batteries along with 7 batteries. Two of the batteries were the larger 2500 series. So i decided to see how much having these helped with the flight time. I started with the 2 larger batteries mounted. The phantom was heavy and although it took off, it flew like a loaded truck. And imagine my surprise when after only 7 minutes it signaled that it needed to land. Then I mounted two of the regular 2200 batteries. A little better in both flight performance and flight time. But still only 12 minutes.

Then I took the external mounts off and just put one 2200 battery inside like it was designed for. It flew much better, sort of like a hot rod. And the flight time extended to a full 15 minutes before it showed the red light to land. I checked all these batteries for full charge before flight. However an interesting side effect was that the big batteries still showed 60% charge when the flight was over. The smaller units showed 40% and the single battery ran all the way down to 14%. There is something going on there having to do with the extra weight and drawing more amperage to compensate.

So short answer, it looks like running just the one original battery works best for the little guy.

There's many threads on the Phantom 1 using dual batteries but I'll try to sum up what most have found.

As you mentioned "flys like loaded truck" - that pretty much sums the concensus of other P1 pilots. The usual results were - most got a few minutes more flight time maybe 2-3 minutes over the basic 10-12minutes.

2 things to "better" your flight times - IF you use dual batteries make sure you calibrate battery voltage w/dual batteries (under voltage on advanced page in assistant software) and to lower your battery warning levels. Safe battery warning levels are 10.6 for first warning and 10.2 for second.

Hope this clears things up for you.

I propose this was happening.
People were running Phantom 1 with on battery. Then as the battery was aging, they added a second one.
But the battery did not perform anymore as new. When I used two new batteries, flight time improved 60 percent in my result.
Here is my Phantom 1, I don't fly is as often since having the Phantom 2.

Thanks a lot for the response. The configuration for your battery mounts are different than on the P1 that I have. Mine sets on the sides of the craft, kind of up high. I wondered if maybe they interfered with the air flow from the props. I do like the fact that it makes it easier to hookup the batteries rather than jamb it inside.

Like you, I fly my P2+ when I want to do something serious involving video. But I got tired of replacing my gimble (3 times) so I decided to get something a little more robust to gain more practice time. So far the P1 seems to be a tough little bugger. And the gopro is almost indestructible.

Hotrod said:
Thanks a lot for the response. The configuration for your battery mounts are different than on the P1 that I have. Mine sets on the sides of the craft, kind of up high. I wondered if maybe they interfered with the air flow from the props. I do like the fact that it makes it easier to hookup the batteries rather than jamb it inside.

Like you, I fly my P2+ when I want to do something serious involving video. But I got tired of replacing my gimble (3 times) so I decided to get something a little more robust to gain more practice time. So far the P1 seems to be a tough little bugger. And the gopro is almost indestructible.

You've had to replace your gimbal 3 times? Why? :shock:

If you're careful, your P2V+/H33D/Whatever should be fine, lol.

Personally, I would stick with 1 battery. Not sure if a few minutes is worth it. These things can reach their max range on a single battery easily.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20