Dual Antenna?

Reaction score
Are there any FPV 5.8 transmitters that have dual antennas? Most of the time when you lose FPV signal, it is when you turn the quad away from the receiver. Wouldn't dual antennas prevent this in all but the most extreme cases?

Or would they interfere with each other. Video signal out of phase? I am not talking about 2 different transmitters, just one transmitter with 2 antenna. Or maybe a y adapter off the transmitter to 2 antennas.

It's been so long since studying for my HAM license, I can't remember if this would be a good or a bad idea lol.

I was told that the only way to do this is to use two transmitters. I mounted an antenna that was long enough to not be blocked by the camera on the return home.

A single transmitter with 2 antennae is asking for trouble... sorry not really feasible.
The best option it have a reasonably long downward antenna, take off... come to a hover.. reach up and straight the antenna downwards. Do your flight and hand catch on return.

That way the antenna is below the gopro

I put on taller, wider landing gear so there is more clearance below my camera. OK to hand catch it, but ok to land it too without crunching the antenna.

terrylowe said:
I put on taller, wider landing gear so there is more clearance below my camera. OK to hand catch it, but ok to land it too without crunching the antenna.

Use a FLEXIBLE extension between VTX unit and the antenna. No worries on take off / landing because it will not stress. My extension is 10 cmts long and antenna hangs free under all stuff. No signal loose on returning to home because it is always the lowest part in flight.
I upgraded my antennas with these:
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce.com/blackhawk-micro-5-8-ghz-9-dbi-set-with-nimrod-rhcp-gold/
P1030541__21158.1405441840.1280.1280.jpg

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud6y_nPafW4[/youtube]

Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Peter Venkman: What?
Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
Venkman: Why?
Spengler: It would be bad.
Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal!
Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

If you tried to put two antennas or two transmitters on the same frequency on the aircraft, you would generate dead zones every 52 mm as the phase differences in the signals would cancel each other out. The solution is a diversity receiver which is basically two receivers and two antennas and the downstream electronics select the better signal. The voting system in the diversity receiver works extremely fast so you don't see the selection take place.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr