Dropsafe parachute with Phantom

Reaction score
It's been some time since I'm looking at this DJI Dropsafe, which is compatible with the S series. http://www.dji.com/product/dropsafe

But it got me wondering - even though it's a little bit heavy for the little Phantom, can it somehow be used on Phantom? Has someone ever tried this? It would be an excellent option to the flyaways thing to slow it down or the landing itself.

The dropsafe at 550g is nearly half the weight of the Phantom itself (1242g). The Phantom will probably not be able to take off with that much weight attached to it.

This would be an incredible accessory though. It would sell like hotcakes.

Where thw hell woukd you attach it.

If ypu search on google theres some designed for phantom.... but still... clearance must be bloody tight...almoat need it to shoot out the side or something...

Well, these Mars parachutes seem very reliable, I've browsed their website and watched some YouTube videos, they are quite nice.
But the thing is, these illustrative pictures show a Phantom 1 with smaller props, not sure if it will fit with the P2's 9 inch props. What are your thoughts?

gfo315 said:
the pictures show a Phantom 1 with smaller props, not sure if it will fit with the P2's 9 inch props. What are your thoughts?
As it says on their their website ...
Before buying please make sure these following requirements will be met.
1.Max prop size 8.5 inches
(stock phantom 1 props 8")
(stock phantom 2 props 9.4")

NO - it doesn't fit on a Phantom 2.
There's no room for this just like there's no room for a Dropsafe.
Lose your fear and just fly.

In my area, saw some guys that adapted small chutes from Opale Paramodels on Phantom, think it can be a solution.

Mounting one on a P2V+ will be problematic. Top center mounted will probably interfere with GPS signal. And since 3 of 4 props are still spinning when one loses a motor, the spinning props are bound to snag the chute lines from any sideways chute deployment. Would be nice to have, though.

Why does a parachute need to be mounted on top? In a free fall, the bird is going to be tumbling on all axes. What is the purpose other than to reduce it's decent rate, which "end" is up can be easily remedied by the location of the anchor point for the cords.

A flat pack could be designed to supplement like a landing guard (gimbal guard plate?!?). This would reduce horizontal wind drag for normal operations. And like a drag car, the start chute pulls the remainder out of the pack.

My question, rather than what parachute could be used, is what activates the safe guard? Mentioned, one motor failure, but couldn't the logic control the whole failsafe? Kill remaining motors and then deploy chute, above a certain AGL.

Just adding fuel to the fire....;)

Why does a parachute need to be mounted on top? In a free fall, the bird is going to be tumbling on all axes. What is the purpose other than to reduce it's decent rate, which "end" is up can be easily remedied by the location of the anchor point for the cords.

Well, I've seen some crash compilation videos, and when Phantoms are free falling, the props seem to start spinning backwards, and they keep the copter in the "normal" flight position (of course, with a lot of wiggling). Props do not stay still, unless it's a low-altitude fall. This might be a problem when using a parachute in the side or below.

Unless it threw itself away from the phantom before, in fact, activating. So the cords wouldn't hit props and tangle everything.
Will be very nice if we find a way to do it, though.

Hmm that solution seems kinda pointless, well except for like 1 or 2 scenario's out of 10000.
Obviously you can't cater for everything but that only seems to cater for an ESC/motor failure, and only if you have time and atltitude to re-act.

Seems like its only good to show off to friends lol.

Here's one that looks like it would fit. This one will only work if the battery is not dead AND your remote controller is connected to your Phantom.

http://www.marsparachutes.com/mini-phantom-mount

Don't forget to unfold and refold your parachute often with Mars, it is sticky when you let it in the tube for a too long period

Baby powder it... absorbs the mosture.

Careful with the mayday board. I suggest you get the manual trigger. mayday maker confirmed that it was the improper calibration that caused the malfunction.
After two weeks of repairing. Yesterday the distributor informed me...the test flight was not good and later found out the mother board of the drone is broken. one of the main chip is broken...now..its not repairable. i think, i have to wait for another month for this issue finally over...my drone is dead..needs a new one...but that is life...we will die soon...

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4