Dropping Things From Drones?

Reaction score
Hi all,
I run a YouTube channel called Ed Ricker Vlogs and do product reviews for drone/camera accessories.
A Chinese company called "FLIFLI" sent me a message asking if I'd be interested in receiving/reviewing their new "drop release device" for Phantom 4 drones: Amazon.com: FLiFLi AIRDROP Release and Drop Device for DJI Phantom 4 Series (FAD-1000ST): Toys & Games

I would love to review it, but it got me thinking about legality/responsibility. I live in the USA. Are there any FAA rules about dropping things from drones (intentionally or not)? Perhaps if not now, there will be soon if this sort of product takes off in certain idiot social circles.

Let me know what you think...not trying to make a video that's going to get a lot of hate.

Thanks!
Ed R.

Last edited:
I don't fathom why a video would generate hate...

I took a quick look at your YouTube channel and it seems that you are operating as Part 107 certified to make the video's shown as they & the channel clearly are commercial in nature. So you should know the rules about dropping things.

If you are not Part 107, then ... better become certified :)

See the sticky at the top of this forum: FAA Links

ps. Not to be too snarky but a quick search indicates that you've had your Remote Pilot cert. just about 3 months, right? Part 107 is a quick read.

Last edited:
Full disclosure...
I did not watch the OP's vid.

Dropping items is not forbade.
So as long as reasonable precaution during the drop is taken there's no issues.

I have no use for a purchased device but a review is not something I'd be concerned about.

This is not legal advice.

I'm a private pilot. Dropping things from aircraft is NOT prohibited, so long as it does not create any safety hazards.

Reactions: BobP4
Sec. 91.15 — Dropping objects.

"No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property."

107.23 Hazardous operation.

No person may:

(a) Operate a small unmanned aircraft system in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another; or

(b) Allow an object to be dropped from a small unmanned aircraft in a manner that creates an undue hazard to persons or property.

Thanks for chiming in everyone!

I don't fathom why a video would generate hate...

I took a quick look at your YouTube channel and it seems that you are operating as Part 107 certified to make the video's shown as they & the channel clearly are commercial in nature. So you should know the rules about dropping things.

If you are not Part 107, then ... better become certified :)

See the sticky at the top of this forum: FAA Links

ps. Not to be too snarky but a quick search indicates that you've had your Remote Pilot cert. just about 3 months, right? Part 107 is a quick read.
When I dropped 1,000 $10 bags of Cocaine in the local prison outside recreation zone, it created a quite a rucus the next morning -- I did it at night! LOL They were really light, couldn't hurt anybody. Did I break any drone regs? No hate replies please, just joking. LOL

Reactions: Neon Euc
Wow, way to resurrect a thread Phantom1972!
Since it's resurrected anyway, I'll share the videos we made of the product/activity this thread was originally posted about.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And yes, for some reason a lot of people really didn't enjoy them. They thought it was reckless and a bad example to others to be dropping things from drones.
What I find odd is that there are a ton of other drop device videos on YouTube, and my videos were the only ones that were received poorly. I think we took every precaution to be safe and responsible, but to no avail.

Very cool, seemingly careful and showed what worked. Like my FarnsworthDronePlatforms.com products.
-Peter Farnsworth

I don't know it's real or fake.

Interesting. I have seen a pile of drones, mostly Phantoms that were captured from ISIS. Seems that the effectiveness of drones is considered classified to keep ISIS from knowing how effective they are. Probably with practice with wind in play one could become accurate in dropping lightweight ordnance. Seems as if ISIS has absolutely no respect for the rights of others nor the suggested 400 foot altitude limit! What’s good ole fashioned war coming to back when lines of infantry lined up in an open field some fifty yards and opened fire?
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Instead of dropping bombs, I recommend dropping toy parachutes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31