Dropping Satellites

Yuri Kom suggested this could be quite important in another post on the Internet, and he seemed to know what he was talking about.

I was going to do this, but didn't in the end when the copper foil worked (for me) on its own.

Here's some screenshots he kindly did to show you what needs soldering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNpTPp6epvk

I see he grounded the existing shield.
Could also be done to the added shield as well.
Then add a connector if you want to remove and disconnect the top shell.

Looks like he melted part of his to shell near the connection point.

Hey guys,
I had the same issue, did the aluminum tape on the inside but was still dropping sats when recording. I saw a video of a guy putting a static shielding bag (plastic bag with metal to protect electronic parts) between the camera and body of his phantom and it would keep his sats the same with the bag in place, but drop sats when he removed the bag, so............... I thought why not put some of this aluminum tape shielding between my camera and phantom? It seems to have worked because when I hit record my sats stay the same. Here's a pic:

Hope this helps,

Eagles Eye

Attachments

• IMG_20140917_141353_424.jpg
    IMG_20140917_141353_424.jpg
    961.5 KB · Views: 382
eagleseye said:
Hey guys,
I had the same issue, did the aluminum tape on the inside but was still dropping sats when recording. I saw a video of a guy putting a static shielding bag (plastic bag with metal to protect electronic parts) between the camera and body of his phantom and it would keep his sats the same with the bag in place, but drop sats when he removed the bag, so............... I thought why not put some of this aluminum tape shielding between my camera and phantom? It seems to have worked because when I hit record my sats stay the same. Here's a pic:

This may be a dumb question, but the whole gimbal assembly is aluminum right? It's already between the camera and body, so why would the aluminum tape be of any benefit? I guess if you are seeing better results then you might be onto something.

Some satellite info:

My Quad is picking up 6 to 7 satellites right now.

Using my cellphone app, It is finding 17 to 18 satellites.

Pictures shows signal strength of at least 12.

Attachments

• sky 2014-09-17_16-25-22.png
    sky 2014-09-17_16-25-22.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 336
Your cellphone app is likely able to receive one or more of the other GPS type system SVs whereas the current DJI (uBlox)module is limited to the U.S. GPS standard.

Other possible systems include the Russian, EU, Indian, and Chinese SVs.

OK. I'll check apps for just locals. Maybe there is a specific percentage that DJI only allows the Quad to use.

Here is the DJI response when I asked them what the Quad is programmed for in case in mid-flight the satellites drop to only 3,4 or 5 :

D. M. (DJI Technology)
Sep 17 15:19

Dear Tim,

Thank you for contacting DJI technical support. Our current standing on this scenario is to attempt to land when you notice that satellites have dropped below 6. Being below 6 satellites could effect a units ability to return to home although we are uncertain of whether it would or would not here at this facility. Thank you for contacting us on this.

DJI Technology Customer Service

DBeard said:
dpdpkpcom said:
Kelvinator said:
Going to try the aluminum foil tape first since I already have a roll. Hopefully it will help. If not I will try the copper route. Will try to test this afternoon after work. Thanks everyone for your input!

If I could suggest you wrap some around the exposed part of the gps cable and then insulate it to avoid shorts !!

I think that could be the key.

Interested to know how you get on :)

I did that to no effect. Still have some interference.
I don't think copper is not going to help. I believe this is EMI.

I double did this using 2 layers (1 from another V2+) of the material and foil tape in the middle and on the cable. Zero effect. Exactly same as before. I had a few V+s and have tried the same places they where they would pickup 8-10 Satellites and this 1 is lucky to pickup 5-7. It also doesn't flash rapid green until it picks up 7.

Wedeliver said:
and
rrmccabe said:

Humm, this isn't a thread.. it's a book! op, you should open your shell and see if the sats come back when you move the gps away. check out that first video. then if you think this is your issue, the fix is there. good luck and let us know how it works out..

I've been testing various versions of this mod. First I put the wire behind the material inside the unit and covered it with foil tape and wrapped the cable. No effect. I then added a second layer of the DJI material from another unit over the top of everything already there. No effect. I also tried downgrading the firmware. Notta. I removed the foil tape and now have 2 layers of the DJI material. Same issues.

On mine recording doesn't seem to change anything. Also this unit doesn't flash all green until after it has 7 satellites which it can only maintain for a few moments.

With many people having similar issues it seems there is either a faulty component or something went wrong in manufacturing i.e. bad solder joints.. I have another one here that went for a swim in the bay so it's shot but doing an uneducated visual they appear to be the same including the part number on the satellite antenna.

The 3 others I've owned would pick up 8-10 satellites in the same spot, same time of day that this one can not lock 6. :(

What's up DJI? A little help please....

It's not true that the same satellites are in the same position at the same time of each day.

GPS satellites complete an orbit in approximately 12 hours, which means that they pass over any point on the earth about twice a day. The satellites rise (and set) about four minutes earlier each day.

I happen to be a month long period where the sats are minimal in my area, during my prime flying time. :evil:

Can anyone supply any pics of exactly how to do this please ?
Just abit confused.... what does the shielding look like ?? and I just put the cable behind it... ? Kinda confused :/

thanks

Kelvinator said:
Thanks for the feedback. I tried just putting the gps cable behind the factory shielding. I got more satellites more quickly than before but still dropped below 6 when I start recording.

Very lengthy discussion on this subject over here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19099

justin00 said:
Can anyone supply any pics of exactly how to do this please ?
Just abit confused.... what does the shielding look like ?? and I just put the cable behind it... ? Kinda confused :/
thanks
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q31s6NDFUlA[/youtube]

dunginhawk said:
this fix did not work for me BTW>.. i followed it to the letter. :(

I call it helpful, but not a solution, I agree. I typically now (after mod) get more sats more quickly. But I'm still dropping during recording.

so yesterday AFTER foil mod, i got 9-10 this time of day... today, 6-7. something is definately not right.
only thing i did was open it back up to add clear packing tape to avoid shorts

It is normal for SV's (sats) to come and go and have different amounts 'visible' from time to time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.