Dropping Satellites

Reaction score
New to the forum here and fairly new P2V+ owner. Since installing a new camera and gimbal after a tree got in my way I am all of a sudden having satellite issues. I can acquire 7 or 8 before launch and can maintain those until I start to record video. It then falls below 6. Never had this problem with the original camera and gimbal. What could this new camera have to do with dropping satellites? Thanks

and
rrmccabe said:

Humm, this isn't a thread.. it's a book! op, you should open your shell and see if the sats come back when you move the gps away. check out that first video. then if you think this is your issue, the fix is there. good luck and let us know how it works out..

Thanks for the feedback. I tried just putting the gps cable behind the factory shielding. I got more satellites more quickly than before but still dropped below 6 when I start recording.

Here's what worked for me kelvinator. I had exactly your issue.

Do the cable behind the shield thing that it sounds like you've already done.

Buy some copper adhesive tape and tape up in the same fashion as the aluminium foil fix you've probably seen the video for. I also put copper tape around the remaining unshielded gps cable as much as I could and then insulated all the copper tape with insulation tape.

I was upto 11 satellites today and a minimum of 8

Hth

dp

Aluminium didn't work for me, despite doing 2 layers of it.

But it has worked for many !!

I'm pretty sure an important factor is getting as much of the gps cable shielded as possible.

Had I tried that with aluminium tape then it may have helped.

Does it really make sense to report number if satellites acquired without knowing when and where? I was under the impression that the number of available satellites vary greatly during the course of the day? Check an app called GPS Plan for example.

How about this ?

Copper tape improved my experience over my experience with aluminium tape. It was noticeable not just in number of GPS satellites but also I used to drop satellite connections when video'ing. I now don't drop satellites when video'ing.

My personal experience (fwiw) was better.

But, and it's an important but !!!

I shielded the gps cable MORE with the copper tape than the aluminium, so that could be an important factor!

But, many DO report improvements with aluminium.

My limited reading on the matter led me to believe that copper has better EMI shielding than aluminium, but I am no expert !!! Although the fact DJI use copper in their stock shielding backs this up.

From my layman's perspective, copper all the way. :)

Interesting. Perhaps I should switch my setup to copper, because I still loose satellites when camera starts to record..

Can anyone confirm their tests with copper tape?

I only did aluminium, but i do not get a drop in satellites when recording.

It also boosted my satellites from about 5 or 6 to 9 or 10.

That's what I was saying before, that boost comment is not worth anything without a compare to a specific situation. I.e same place and time of day. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Moving the cable under the stock shielding and aluminum foil tape/clear tape the shell as per the youtube video and the rest of the cable I found minimal to no improvement. In fact it decided to fly out of control again, normally I could turn off the video and regain control, no luck it just flew into the ground damaging the unit and gimble arm.

Does DJI or their dealers stand behind their product? It is such a great unit when it is working well. Where do I go from here? Will they replace?

Full batteries with all the latest firmware. All calibrations completed.

My experience is similar. I do have improved satellite lock, meaning it's quicker and I'm generally picking up more satellites than before. But I still drop during recording, sometimes up to two satellites. Yesterday I went out, SatPredictor said I had 7 sats. Huge open park, but I dropped two as soon as I start recording. Elevation didn't help, so I brought her down and packed her up.

Going to try the aluminum foil tape first since I already have a roll. Hopefully it will help. If not I will try the copper route. Will try to test this afternoon after work. Thanks everyone for your input!

Kelvinator said:
Going to try the aluminum foil tape first since I already have a roll. Hopefully it will help. If not I will try the copper route. Will try to test this afternoon after work. Thanks everyone for your input!

If I could suggest you wrap some around the exposed part of the gps cable and then insulate it to avoid shorts !!

I think that could be the key.

Interested to know how you get on :)

dpdpkpcom said:
Kelvinator said:

If I could suggest you wrap some around the exposed part of the gps cable and then insulate it to avoid shorts !!

I am going to try that first. Will post back results.

dpdpkpcom said:
Kelvinator said:

I did that to no effect. Still have some interference.
I don't think copper is not going to help. I believe this is EMI.

Copper will help but there's two types of EMI possible here... conducted via noise on the DC supply and radiated which can directly 'impact' the RF section. Then the radiated can also be conducted by the ribbon cable acting as an antenna of sorts.

Has anyone tried grounding their foil shield to the DC return (negative)?

That might help.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20