Dropped Dead mid flight

Looks like compass errors to me. Did you calibrate your compass successfully before the flight?
A compass error caused a P3 to shut down and drop to the ground? I'm not thinking this was the issue. The GPS to Atti would be a GPS issue, not compass.

Battery was new and in good condition. If I were to guess I'd say the power failed for whatever reason. Could be the battery was not inserted correctly.

A compass error caused a P3 to shut down and drop to the ground? I'm not thinking this was the issue. The GPS to Atti would be a GPS issue, not compass.

Battery was new and in good condition. If I were to guess I'd say the power failed for whatever reason. Could be the battery was not inserted correctly.
It had video all the way to the ground, UGG, thanks for the input.

Another possibility is a VPS error? It doesn't work well over water. But 30 feet is higher up than VPS range. Was VPS turned on? If so, you may want to turn it off in the future (except for when you fly indoors).

It looks like you only flew for about 30 seconds before falling down. It was idle for around a minute.

Definitely seems odd and probably in the group of failures that DJI covers but I can't speak for them.

Another possibility is a VPS error? It doesn't work well over water. But 30 feet is higher up than VPS range. Was VPS turned on? If so, you may want to turn it off in the future (except for when you fly indoors).

It looks like you only flew for about 30 seconds before falling down. It was idle for around a minute.

Definitely seems odd and probably in the group of failures that DJI covers but I can't speak for them.
Turns out I was up as high as 124 ft.

A good GPS lock should bypass (turn off) input from the VPS. I also don't see why VPS would cause the motors to shut off. The P3 went into atti mode, which could allow VPS to function but it seems like this may have happened when it was already falling.

@Seattle, your description sounds a lot like some flights I've looked at lately where propulsion was lost in one motor/prop. See Professional - Need Help With P3A Crash | DJI Phantom Forum It may look like a compass issue but, the P3 actually is spinning. A propulsion problem will cause the P3 to spin and lose altitude. If you want either I, @Luap, or @TheRealNick to look at your flight please retrieve the .DAT and DropBox it so one of us can take a look. At the very least you should retrieve the .DAT before sending the P3 to DJI for repairs.

Same happened to me in December 2015. Brand new p3p falls from the sky (15ft ) they replaced or fixed it ( gimbal snapped off ) but didn't tell me the cause took 25 days total door to door

@Seattle, your description sounds a lot like some flights I've looked at lately where propulsion was lost in one motor/prop. See Professional - Need Help With P3A Crash | DJI Phantom Forum It may look like a compass issue but, the P3 actually is spinning. A propulsion problem will cause the P3 to spin and lose altitude. If you want either I, @Luap, or @TheRealNick to look at your flight please retrieve the .DAT and DropBox it so one of us can take a look. At the very least you should retrieve the .DAT before sending the P3 to DJI for repairs.
Would all the data be on my tablet? It was apparently recorded successfully, It did a spin alright I have the video, all the way to the ground. Thanks so much for the help!!!

Oh BTW all the props were on it.

Oh BTW all the props were on it.
There have been cases where the ESC failed. The .DAT is on the P3, not the tablet. To retrieve it:
  1. Go to the DJI GO App and connect to the P3
  2. MC Settings -->
    select Advanced Settings Advanced Settings --> Enter flight data
    mode
  3. wait until you get a dialog telling you that the quad is
    in flight data mode.
  4. Connect a USB cable from the USB plug in the nose of the Phantom3 to your computer. This is not the USB connector on the side of the camera. Your Phantom 3 should have come with the required USB cable
  5. The data drive should mount and be available.
  6. Use the date on the FLYXXX.DAT files to pick the one you want and copy it to your computer

A few quick thoughts:

1) Did the video stop recording automatically? Usually in crash videos, even if the props stop (CSC, etc.), I usually see the drone fall into the water with the video still recording. I suspect it could be a battery problem where power cut out?

2) You seem to have taken off and landed a few times. Usually I think DJI recommends that you take off on a full battery only. By the 3rd take off you were probably still pretty strong on battery capacity though so I wouldn't think it would be an issue but just thought I'd bring it up anyway. I always take off and fly on a full battery and then land when I'm done and move on to another battery (rather than take off again even though I have >50% left). Perhaps on one of the landings, if the landing was hard the battery got loose and in the air the battery got more loose and yuo lost power? In that case, it might record a little bit from what's left in power in the capacitors and such but would quickly black out.

3) It's high enough where VPS isn't an issue.

4) A bird or something hitting is is also a good theory but if it was in visual LOS, you probably would have seen that.

A few quick thoughts:

1) Did the video stop recording automatically? Usually in crash videos, even if the props stop (CSC, etc.), I usually see the drone fall into the water with the video still recording. I suspect it could be a battery problem where power cut out?

2) You seem to have taken off and landed a few times. Usually I think DJI recommends that you take off on a full battery only. By the 3rd take off you were probably still pretty strong on battery capacity though so I wouldn't think it would be an issue but just thought I'd bring it up anyway. I always take off and fly on a full battery and then land when I'm done and move on to another battery (rather than take off again even though I have >50% left). Perhaps on one of the landings, if the landing was hard the battery got loose and in the air the battery got more loose and yuo lost power? In that case, it might record a little bit from what's left in power in the capacitors and such but would quickly black out.

3) It's high enough where VPS isn't an issue.

4) A bird or something hitting is is also a good theory but if it was in visual LOS, you probably would have seen that.

Yes the Video stopped on its own. Apparently data shows I was at 90% on battery. And not bird in sight and the craft was in sight too. Thanks for your input.

Hello Budwalker The dates don't seem to match up but I think this is the .dat file link thanks FLY074.DAT
There have been cases where the ESC failed. The .DAT is on the P3, not the tablet. To retrieve it:
  1. Go to the DJI GO App and connect to the P3
  2. MC Settings -->
    select Advanced Settings Advanced Settings --> Enter flight data
    mode
  3. wait until you get a dialog telling you that the quad is
    in flight data mode.
  4. Connect a USB cable from the USB plug in the nose of the Phantom3 to your computer. This is not the USB connector on the side of the camera. Your Phantom 3 should have come with the required USB cable
  5. The data drive should mount and be available.
  6. Use the date on the FLYXXX.DAT files to pick the one you want and copy it to your computer
Hello Budwalker, I'm hoping this is the right .dat file. the dates don't match but the file names do. Thanks
FLY074.DAT

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl