Droning for Dollars

Reaction score
I am wondering if other repair shops test fly aircraft before or after a paid repair or mod service these days, as this could be considered commercial flying. From an FAA website:

Do I need a Section 333 grant of exemption if I'm not charging for my services?
A. Unless you are flying only for hobby or recreational purposes, you will need FAA authorization via a Section 333 grant of exemption to fly your unmanned aircraft system (UAS) for your business. This applies even if you are only flying to supplement or aide your business and not charging fees for doing so.

For now, until there is clarity, I feel I am not legally allowed to test fly customers aircraft without the 333.

How do they know you are "test" flying their drones? It would seem to me as if you're just flying them for recreational purposes for fun after fixing them.

For now, until there is clarity, I feel I am not legally allowed to test fly customers aircraft without the 333.

Then it's doubtful your repair business will be very successful - I wouldn't want to have mine repaired by someone else if they aren't going to test it out after the repair work.

If you are repairing these units and not charging - then IMO that is considered a hobby and flying after you repaired is a part of the hobby.
Think you are taking that "text" a little too literally - however if you are that concerned, then apply for the exemption.

How do they know you are "test" flying their drones? It would seem to me as if you're just flying them for recreational purposes for fun after fixing them.

Exactly!

Reactions: MajObvious

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1