Dronexpert Gimbal vs Rotopixel Gimbal for Phantom 2 Vision

Reaction score
The long hard decision between the two gimbals had to come down to some factors: 1) First was availability for purchase. 2) Design and ease of use. 3) Customer reviews 4) Cost. So did lots of research on the internet and Youtube. At the time of my purchase Rotopixiel was not yet available to purchase and was still working on getting up starting their business. I then went to Dronexpert gimbal and went to order one. They said it would take a couple of weeks so I figured I could wait but took 4 weeks to get. When it came it was the easiest modification to my P2V it was literally “plug n play” . Undo the mount for the camera and plug in the gimbal in. I will say the hardest thing I did encounter was to install the 7th lever on the Phantom itself was the 4 hex screws closest to the landing skids that my hex drivers handle would not fit next to the legs. Gee that was hard huh. Once installed first time turning on I did encounter the jitter and random movement from the camera. I did read about the few people had this problem so was a little nervous. So I did all the things said to do, make sure ribbon cord was free and pulled all the way thru, make sure plug was pushed in all the way in and kept square on camera. I did find that the existing white plug jack that comes out of P2V when you plug it in to the gimbal board there is a small gap between the two plastic top and bottom is a tight fit and need to push in all the way. To this day have had no problems with at all. I do like that I can take the gimbal off with just the two plugs and put in their travel box it came with so I can still take the props off and gimbal in just seconds and traveling with it is my #1 priority I have seen the Rotopixiel looks very complicated to travel with even in a hard travel case. I am not saying Rotopixiel is bad but have not had it to compare it to. So with all said I am very happy with the Dronexert Gimbal so far. The major Pro for this is the ability to travel with ease and performance.

Re: Dronexpert Gimbal vs Rotopixel Gimbal for Phantom 2 Visi

K-Fine said:
The long hard decision between the two gimbals had to come down to some factors: 1) First was availability for purchase. 2) Design and ease of use. 3) Customer reviews 4) Cost. So did lots of research on the internet and Youtube. At the time of my purchase Rotopixiel was not yet available to purchase and was still working on getting up starting their business. I then went to Dronexpert gimbal and went to order one. They said it would take a couple of weeks so I figured I could wait but took 4 weeks to get. When it came it was the easiest modification to my P2V it was literally “plug n play” . Undo the mount for the camera and plug in the gimbal in. I will say the hardest thing I did encounter was to install the 7th lever on the Phantom itself was the 4 hex screws closest to the landing skids that my hex drivers handle would not fit next to the legs. Gee that was hard huh. Once installed first time turning on I did encounter the jitter and random movement from the camera. I did read about the few people had this problem so was a little nervous. So I did all the things said to do, make sure ribbon cord was free and pulled all the way thru, make sure plug was pushed in all the way in and kept square on camera. I did find that the existing white plug jack that comes out of P2V when you plug it in to the gimbal board there is a small gap between the two plastic top and bottom is a tight fit and need to push in all the way. To this day have had no problems with at all. I do like that I can take the gimbal off with just the two plugs and put in their travel box it came with so I can still take the props off and gimbal in just seconds and traveling with it is my #1 priority I have seen the Rotopixiel looks very complicated to travel with even in a hard travel case. I am not saying Rotopixiel is bad but have not had it to compare it to. So with all said I am very happy with the Dronexert Gimbal so far. The major Pro for this is the ability to travel with ease and performance.

Good for you, I´m thinking to get the rotorpixel in the future, the only cons about Dronexpert Gimbal is the price...for me..!

Good to see a healthy competition starting to form. Unfortunately give a few more months and the Chinese knock-offs will starting popping up.

DJIp2v said:
Good for you, I´m thinking to get the rotorpixel in the future, the only cons about Dronexpert Gimbal is the price...for me..!

DJIp2v - are you in Medellin? Expat or Colombiano? Reason for my asking is I am married to a Paisa and now have a big family in and around Medellin. This summer you will find me and my P2V at El Penol amongst other places.

Bye any chance do you use the lens attachment for filters? Curious if it is any problems with fitting this?

cougar said:
Bye any chance do you use the lens attachment for filters? Curious if it is any problems with fitting this?

No I do not use the filter ring. There are too many post editing software out there to add any extra

I think I my impatience got the best of me on this one. I ordered the Dronexpert a couple of weeks back. Looks like there are going to be even more options out there in the next month or so. 3DPower has now made theirs plug and play for almost half the price. No more trying to figure out how to power the unit. There appears to be others coming up with gimbals.

I guess it will all be in the results (vids) and dependability.
Let see how it plays out.

I seriously considered both the Dronexpert and the RotorPixel. (Actually ordered then cancelled the RotorPixel)

As of today, it would be difficult for me to justify the difference in cost $600+ for the Dronexpert (Shipped with a case), $410 (8+ weeks still pre-order, including shipping) for the RotorPixel to the $280 (Shipped) gimbal from Taco. It's now Plug N Play and most have received it in about 5-7 days after ordering. And no one has reported any major problems, thus far. Just my 2¢. :cool:

In respect of travelling with Rotorpixel... If you undo one thumbscrew and unplug one cable you can just pop the camera unit off the gimbal. The gimbal will then fold up within the area of the Vision legs (i.e. fit in your existing flight case without modding the case) and the camera unit can either be placed between the legs as well or into another cut-out in the flight case. Some pre-cut cases with a cut-out designed to take the Vision with a battery attached can use the side meant for an attached battery to fit the gimbal without removing the camera at all.

To see how to remove the Vision camera from Rotorpixel (and how long it takes) see here: http://youtu.be/-Lf5fCWH08A?t=4m25s

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1