Drones will be banned?

Reaction score
Airspace around Dubai International airport was closed this morning due to unauthorised drone activity resulting in a number of delays at the airport.Also new incidents with drones are taking place almost every day around the globe.What do you think?

I don't think they will be banned, I think they will start imposing hefty fines for those abusing the airspace.

@ryantrax I hope you are right; A lot of dum dums making life harder for the responsible, certified UAV professionals that take this industry and the safety measures required to operate in the NAS very seriously

Reactions: ryantrax
@ryantrax I hope you are right; A lot of dum dums making life harder for the responsible, certified UAV professionals that take this industry and the safety measures required to operate in the NAS very seriously
Agreed, every drone news story I hear these days makes me cringe, like putting 1 more nail in the coffin for the professionals.

Who is saying anything about a ban?

But those boneheads are certainly making it difficult for the rest of us:

Dubai airport grounds flights due to 'drone activity' - BBC News

"In the wake of the incident, authorities in the United Arab Emirates have announced plans to tighten the rules on buying and using drones.

Drone owners must already register with the UAE General Civil Aviation Authority."

There are always bad elements around. It's duty of police to keep them checked.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I don't see a full outright ban on the technology ever happening now, at this point you can't shut Pandora's Box (might be the wrong analogy, lol), but I do see a day when a similar setup to retail gun sales in the U.S. (computer database check at the dealership prior to sale) is implemented..UAS pros will probably be able to show their Airmen Certificate and bypass a lot of that red tape, but it won't be as easy as getting the girl at Best Buy to unlock the drone case and then walking it up to the sales counter, IMHO

My question is, eventually, will hobbyists be treated differently than those with UAV licenses?

Perhaps they will require a transponder on drones so the airport towers with radar know exactly where they all are at all times. Sucks, but could be their next step! There is very little airspace that is not covered by a radar service area.

The government is like "you can't do that, it's not legal and unsafe" unless you give us some money and we will give you this nice crisp piece of paper saying you can.

In Canada right now, you can walk into a cut rate auto/hardware type store & there between the Hay bailing wire & Tractor parts are a table of drones, Syma & Dromidia & other makes all capable of going far & high enough to get the op in trouble or at least, cause a front page "drone fly's over Blue Jays game"!
While I was there a Mother, bought her 15, maybe 16 yr.old son a Syma X11, he;s probably flying it right now over the heads of fellow students in the school parking lot.
How are they going to regulate this, to me, this is where a lot of the bad headlines are going to come from.

In Canada right now, you can walk into a cut rate auto/hardware type store & there between the Hay bailing wire & Tractor parts are a table of drones, Syma & Dromidia & other makes all capable of going far & high enough to get the op in trouble or at least, cause a front page "drone fly's over Blue Jays game"!
While I was there a Mother, bought her 15, maybe 16 yr.old son a Syma X11, he;s probably flying it right now over the heads of fellow students in the school parking lot.
How are they going to regulate this, to me, this is where a lot of the bad headlines are going to come from.

Exactly. Just like in another thread where the airport in Dubai was shutdown because a drone pilot in the area flying his drone. Granted that was in another country but the FAA will see that and who knows what else they'll set guidelines on.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4