Drones are Falcon Prey!!

Reaction score
Just want to pass on a hair raising experience I had last week. Went for a few normal flights above my nursery last week, its great to visually see how all my crops are doing from the air. After about 15 min of good flying, one of my employees said "Look at that hawk!" low and behold this hawk had its wings swept back and in a attack dive, headed directly for my P3. Immediately I started to rapidly decend from the 200' but soon noticed it was going to hit. I pulled up at the last second and the hawk went inches below me. I once again started to descend and had to perform one more evasive maneuver following the second hawk dive. Just sharing this information to you guys to be aware of hawks in the area. Apparently they either feel territorial or viewing them as prey. Regardless, be careful. Pretty sure a direct hit would not only bring the copter down but will most likely injure or kill the hawk! Just glad this was one of those rare flights I had that I kept it within visual range. would have never seen it coming 2000' out!

Yep, all kinds of birds will chase or check out the drone. I was fishing on the Madison River in Montana over the weekend and we had all kinds of swallows, ospreys, even seagulls come in for a closer look. The swallows, surprisingly, were the most aggressive, coming close, swarming around it, but never touching the "bird."

Anyone know the best way to out maneuver a bird? I've had a few birds chase my P3 recently. I know you can't outrun a bird in a dive...but what about a climb? Quick sudden sideway movements? Or are birds superior to Phantoms in every direction?

not that I planned my counter measures correctly, but when it dove at me, all I could do was climb seconds before. It literally flew under my by inches! THen immediately descended again and had to climb one more time! So glad I was right over head and only 200 ' high. If it was further away and higher, I might of been evading this bird for awhile! I'm going to outfit my quad with flares to distract the hawk in the future!!!!!

lost my first P2V+ to a seagull attack. Almost lost my second P2V+ on its maiden flight to another seagull...
DON'T go down. It takes forever to loose altitude, and you're just making yourself a better target.
CLIMB!! and back out of there.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub