Drones abroad? Traveling on a cruise, restrictions

I carried my in the original P2V+ packaging. :) Got a big color picture of the P2V+ in front of it.

That said, I can retrieve it whenever I am getting off the ship. So not a big deal. I mean unless you want to fly while you are on the ship or while the ship is moving (not recommended), makes 0 difference really. I take my memory card, battery, and charger with me to my room. That's it.

What do you mean by "Retrieve It"? Do they hold it in a special room? No I don't plan to fly it on the ship

What do you mean by "Retrieve It"? Do they hold it in a special room? No I don't plan to fly it on the ship
No idea where they keep it other than they kept it "somewhere". And whenever I debark, I tell them I want to get my bird and they make a call, and 10 to 15 minutes later someone comes by with my bird.

Im planning a trip to St. Maarteen, im just wondering if I will be violating any local laws if I fly my Inspire 1 over the island.

Any thoughts or experience from you guys?

Im planning a trip to St. Maarteen, im just wondering if I will be violating any local laws if I fly my Inspire 1 over the island.

Any thoughts or experience from you guys?
Me 2 leaving on March 2nd. Let me know if you get a good response from them I'd love to bring mine along

Im flying in next Tuesday (feb 2) will let you know my experience, as for the batteries im taking them as carry on.

According to Carnival Cruise Lines, Drones are no longer allowed on the ships, no matter what. I think it's just a shame, I would be more than happy to let them hold it and return it to me as I leave the ship. But you can't even get passed the screening area without being told you can not get on the ship with it. Something needs to be done adopt this, I follow all professional quidelines as well as being registered with the FAA. How can cruise lines get away with this. I'm not a child with a radio controlled toy. I photograph and do video work for a living.

I just got this from the Carnival web site about restricted items...
  • Items for Port Use only (Note: all must be stored in the guest’s stateroom)
    • Snorkel gear
    • Skateboards
    • Golf clubs
    • Fishing rods
    • Tennis rackets
    • Kites
    • Roller blades/skates
    • Collapsible wagon
    • Metal detectors
    • Boogie Boards (maximum 42” in length)
    • Drone Cameras
    • Beach chair
    • Umbrella
This was listed in the Exceptions section after the list of prohibited items that included "Any radio controlled flying toys" so I guess it's ok as long as you keep the drone in it's case until you get off the ship in a port...

I'd call the cruise line and get a letter. FYI - Carnival hates bad press and gives a lot of "free" nights and such for something as simple as getting sick. Happened to my daughter last Fall.

That said - if you are flying, the batteries must be carried with you in the passenger compartment. I take the entire kit in my backpack personally.

Call the cruise line and get something in writing about it being allowed on the ship and the storage process/retrieval. Most of the cruise lines try to accommodate you.

All this process makes me even happier we travel on our own boat.

I would like to see how that is going to work. I've been on 8 NCL cruises. My wife and I always board with a carry on and a small backpack. I've never been ask what is in the bags.

Their is not one word about Drones on the NCL website

What can't I bring onboard?
Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors/beverages*, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal. *For more information read our FAQ "What about alcohol consumption and wine corkage?" Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard.
Just got back from a ncl cruise Jamaica Grand Cayman Cozumel and there island. Shot video at all locations and had no issues. Port authoritys or ship officers.Here is a short video of one location
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: tjshelton and RayH
Me 2 leaving on March 2nd. Let me know if you get a good response from them I'd love to bring mine along

Are you on NCL Gem by chance out of NYC?
I'm on that one.
I've been to all these places and have gotten great pix from afar by climbing mountains, etc. Would love to get some video/stills but the issue with bringing my P3P is concerning. I've traveled for years both air and sea with tons of pro AV gear and never had issues but once they see a "drone" might as well point at someone and yell "he's got a gun!"

Yeah it's a sad world we live in.

Are you on NCL Gem by chance out of NYC?
I'm on that one.
I've been to all these places and have gotten great pix from afar by climbing mountains, etc. Would love to get some video/stills but the issue with bringing my P3P is concerning. I've traveled for years both air and sea with tons of pro AV gear and never had issues but once they see a "drone" might as well point at someone and yell "he's got a gun!"

Yeah it's a sad world we live in.
No I'm leaving from Baltimore on royal Caribbean

Cruise ship crew member here.. I'm sailing alternating east/west caribbean itineraries at the moment. Had to get approval from the staff captain (2nd in command) just to buy the drone and have it shipped to the ship. It was approved though and I was warned that I had to be responsible for knowing/obeying local laws wherever we were and that the drone couldn't be flown close to the ship.

The worry I have is that these being small islands with airports the restricted airspace must cover most of the island. So I'm going to look into it and keep flights simple and closer to the ground.

It's a shame that Carnival issued a blanket restriction on drones. That being said, it certainly looks like nobody knows exactly how to regulate these things on confined spaces like ships but I'm sure they will come up with a refined and specific policy as drones are becoming more and more popular. I'll keep you posted as to my results!

Oh and somebody asked where drones are stored on the ship for guests - the security team has a locker where they hold items of value that people aren't allowed to have on the ship (for example, the ulu knife that is very popular for sale in Alaska - those all get held there until the end of the cruise).

Same here, I'm currently on a cruise right now and they didn't allow me to bring the drone to my room but told me the same thing, I can use it while in port(s). Took some nice footage today while docked in Labade, Haiti.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Same here, I'm currently on a cruise right now and they didn't allow me to bring the drone to my room but told me the same thing, I can use it while in port(s). Took some nice footage today while docked in Labade, Haiti.

You're on Royal Carribean? Did you just show up with it or did you have to contact them ahead of time? If so, who do I contact to get permission? I'm gonna be on Royal Carribean next month and would love to take my phantom.

Yes I am and I just showed up with it. When it didn't show up in my cabin they called me saying they had it and would hold it for me while I was on the ship.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31