DronePan

ICE

Built-in Photosynth uploader

When you want to share a panorama, ICE can upload it directly to Photosynth, where your friends can view it using an interactive web viewer or the Photosynth app for iPhone or Windows Phone.
Any suggestions for the Mac?

Last edited:
Light room can do spherical stitch if you already own it.

Google photos can also IF you supply necessary sky photos. If sky missing, it will just produce big pan nor 360.

FYI, both YouTube and Facebook will now host 360 pano but only video. You can covert your jpg to mp4 - cool interface
What is the process of converting your .jpg spherical panorama to .mp4 so that YouTube will host the 360 pano?

Is there a special setting somewhere in LR for outputting a spherical panorama stitch?

Thanks!:cool:

ICE

Built-in Photosynth uploader

When you want to share a panorama, ICE can upload it directly to Photosynth, where your friends can view it using an interactive web viewer or the Photosynth app for iPhone or Windows Phone.
Photosynth app for iOS was unfortunately withdrawn by MS from the App Store about 2 months ago. :( Without it, the horizon constantly tips in Safari, making it virtually unusable on an iOS device. Still great on a desktop, but who uses one of those these days? :cool:

Tried this app today. Pretty amazing. I was flying at 120 meters high and 300 meters away. After the Pano was ready I switched back to the Go app and it said NO CONNECTION. Back to the Pano app and flying on the camera back. Glad I knew the surroundings and how to fly manually.

With PTGui it's just very easy to make a 360.
Agreed about PTGui. Unfortunately, the entire PTGui web image loading crashes many mobile devices. Another option is PanoramaStudio Pro, which swaps out low res and high res versions of the tiles, based upon the zoom level and the focus area within the image. Also about $100 to remove the watermark. I use both and offer links to each version when sharing. If the PTGui crashes, the PanoramaStudio Pro version still works.

You can't "task switch" between P3P flying Apps. You have to completely close the one currently controlling it to revert to using the DJI GO app, unless the other app does that for you. Apparently, it doesn't. Double tap the Home button and swipe UP on the Dronepan beta App to terminate it first, and then try connecting with DJI GO. Hopefully, that restores the FPV and GO app control.:cool:

When shooting for these spherical panoramas, shoot in DNG+JPG so you can optimize the DNG raw files in LR before the stitching. Makes a huge difference in the result. Use exported JPG's from LR created with the optimized DNG's instead of the original JPG's. Try it both ways, since you'll have both a JPG and a DNG of each image. Compare. The original JPG's are just for a quick mockup. Then take your time, and work with the DNG's instead!:cool:

What is the process of converting your .jpg spherical panorama to .mp4 so that YouTube will host the 360 pano?

Is there a special setting somewhere in LR for outputting a spherical panorama stitch?

In lightroom, select all your photos and go to tools/merge

you can make a quick 5 second video in your video editor and output it to a MP4 movie (4096x2048 max).

or you can use ffmpeg to convert -t 5 = 5 sec clip

ffmpeg -loop 1 -i img.png -c:v libx264 -t 5 -pix_fmt yuv420p out.mp4

I made my first panorama today, but I only had PTGui and they have their watermarks on the photo when finished. I downloaded the Hungin aswell, but I don`t understand how to make a 360, the image just seems wrong and is wrong. What settings should I adjust using Hungin OR is there another program I can use?
Don`t want to spend money for only making theese things.

Thanks;)

Here is my picture if you`re intrested:
Panorama P3P Oslo, Norway

Reactions: pdw and Boebe
In lightroom, select all your photos and go to tools/merge

you can make a quick 5 second video in your video editor and output it to a MP4 movie (4096x2048 max).

or you can use ffmpeg to convert -t 5 = 5 sec clip

ffmpeg -loop 1 -i img.png -c:v libx264 -t 5 -pix_fmt yuv420p out.mp4
Wow! Thank you! I'll give both a try! :cool:
So, just to clarify, you are manually scrolling around within the spherical panorama and recording the screen to create the 5 second clip? Can you provide a link to a YouTube movie which is the output, so I can see the result? I am having a hard time visualizing the result, because of the zoom capability into any part of the original image which would be lost in a movie of it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you! I'll give both a try! :cool:
So, just to clarify, you are manually scrolling around within the spherical panorama and recording the screen to create the 5 second clip? Can you provide a link to a YouTube movie which is the output, so I can see the result? I am having a hard time visulaizing the result, because of the zoom capability into any part of the original image which would be lost in a movie of it. Thanks!
No.... in your movie editor, you would drop the jpg into the timeline and give it any duration.. then save the movie to mp4 file. here's the youtube result. even when paused, you can drag the screen around to see 360.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've watched your vids on your YouTube channel. In regards to getting more 'actual' sky in the pictures, the Phantom has a setting to increase the gimbal pitch 30 degrees 'upward'.

You may already know about this, but just wanting to pass along if not.

When connected to the P3:

iOksMd5.jpg
Yea we've found it simple to automate this on Inspire but still researching how to automate it on Phantom, really appreciate the feedback!

Yea we've found it simple to automate this on Inspire but still researching how to automate it on Phantom, really appreciate the feedback!

You're welcome. I used DronePan out in the field this past weekend with my P3P and it worked flawlessly. Thank you so much for all your efforts. DronePan makes aerial photography robust.

Reactions: pdw
Tried this app today. Pretty amazing. I was flying at 120 meters high and 300 meters away. After the Pano was ready I switched back to the Go app and it said NO CONNECTION. Back to the Pano app and flying on the camera back. Glad I knew the surroundings and how to fly manually.

With PTGui it's just very easy to make a 360.
I had the same issue, but by disconnecting the USB cable and reconnecting the GO video fired up again. Minimal inconvenience that may be ironed out in future beta releases.

You can't "task switch" between P3P flying Apps. You have to completely close the one currently controlling it to revert to using the DJI GO app, unless the other app does that for you. Apparently, it doesn't. Double tap the Home button and swipe UP on the Dronepan beta App to terminate it first, and then try connecting with DJI GO. Hopefully, that restores the FPV and GO app control.:cool:

I don't have any problem with"task switching"

I had some success with ICE by omitting the last two shots in the sequence but not perfect. I did however create a conventional panorama in Lightroom from the results of DronePan and the results are quite nice. Clear images and certainly really easy to take from the Phantom 3 perspective, saved a lot of work at the time.

View attachment 31819

From an application perspective:-
  • I do like the simple approach but it would benefit from neater GUI
  • I always worry about drift creating blur in some lighting conditions, not a problem today but it was still drifting after a turn perhaps a slider for slow - fast sequence
  • I also rarely do a full 360 pano, tend to do 270 at most, perhaps a slider to set degrees
  • I know its not flying recording video, but a map in the lower right would be a nice touch for orientation and for flying from A to B
  • If automatic camera settings is all we can use adjust EV and lock AE would be nice
All that said, it's a great little app and certainly one worth having in the toolbox as it took a great series of shots with no effort on my part at all so really looking forward to the development process and very happy to be on the beta. I will be using it again this weekend for sure.
Man this is excellent feedback, thank you! We're investigating all of the above. We actually had a map in there initially and many testers said it wasn't needed, but now we're rethinking that approach and will add it back in. Thank you again

Reactions: Cyclone
I don't have any problem with"task switching"
I was specifically speaking of task switching between iOS P3P flying apps. The SDK requires exclusive control of the P3P, and merely "suspending" the DJI GO app won't work. It has to be completely terminated. Therefore, you cannot task switch between P3P flying apps, unless a workaround is found. Besides, would you really want both flying apps running at the same time? If a crash occurs due to one of the apps, you would never know which app caused the crash!:cool:

Any suggestions on how to upload a PTGui *.mov file?

No.... in your movie editor, you would drop the jpg into the timeline and give it any duration.. then save the movie to mp4 file. here's the youtube result. even when paused, you can drag the screen around to see 360.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thank you for the example. It has features I didn't know existed on YouTube. However, the YouTube hosted versions do appear to suffer from two limitations. On an iPad, you lose the ability to scroll around with your finger, and can only scroll around using the acelerometer to see, by moving and pointing the iPad in the direction you want to see.

For me, though, the bigger loss of functionality is the inability to zoom in on any part of the image to see fine detail. It is essentially a static, fixed size spherical panorama. Both the desktop YouTube version and the iPad YouTube version of the spherical panorama cannot be zoomed into, unlike the PTGui, PanoramaStudio Pro, and the ICE versions, which all allow full zoom into any part of the image. The 30-60 MB final stitched spherical panorama jpg has incredible detail that is lost in the YouTube version, without any zoom capability.:cool:

I made my first panorama today, but I only had PTGui and they have their watermarks on the photo when finished. I downloaded the Hungin aswell, but I don`t understand how to make a 360, the image just seems wrong and is wrong. What settings should I adjust using Hungin OR is there another program I can use?
Don`t want to spend money for only making theese things.

Thanks;)

Here is my picture if you`re intrested:
Panorama P3P Oslo, Norway
These spherical panoramas are very addictive and an excellent way to share the drone experience with others. I initially was reluctant to spend $100 just to remove a watermark, but it truly is worth it! I licensed both PTGui and PanoramaStudio Pro and create a web version in each program of all my spherical panoramas. They each have their strengths and differences, such that I like them both! I also create a third version using the free ICE, but the lack of control on the iPad viewing of the ICE version is a deal killer for me, now that Microsoft has removed the ICE viewing app from the App Store. Great on the desktop though!:cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic