DronePan

Pointless unless stitching can be done in app and the photo saved to the device.

What about stacked panos?

Are these features for the future?

lol, pointless seems a bit strong.. it makes it alot easier to capture the photos then to manually yaw and pitch.

would love to have in app stitching though - sure, it won't be as great as PTGUI but google photosphere and the samsung camera can stitch in app - should be possible.

Reactions: Bigdz
lol, pointless seems a bit strong.. it makes it alot easier to capture the photos then to manually yaw and pitch.

would love to have in app stitching though - sure, it won't be as great as PTGUI but google photosphere and the samsung camera can stitch in app - should be possible.

Yeah that was a bit over the top, lol. Can't complain since it's free.

Also, looks like it stacks but not 360 deg? Can't tell from video.

Here is what I use for stitching my pano's. Doesn't get much easier.

Image Composite Editor - Microsoft Research

Last edited:
I installed and used DronePan today and gotta say I really enjoyed it. Couldn't be easier and it produced good results in my less than stellar test flights today.

I joined the DronePan beta test this morning. Weather looks good so I will try it out later. Just a little height at first to ensure control is solid then 400ft above my village. When done, and stitched, I'll post a nice pic of rural Kent.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443168279.158548.jpg

Last edited:
I have been beta testing and it works really well, need to capture more sky, not sure how this is going to be done, but it works great

Reactions: pdw
Yeah that was a bit over the top, lol. Can't complain since it's free.

Also, looks like it stacks but not 360 deg? Can't tell from video.

Here is what I use for stitching my pano's. Doesn't get much easier.

Image Composite Editor - Microsoft Research

I just took a great pano - usually use Lightroom or Photoshop but thought I would try ICE. Having problems getting it to organise and orient the 20 images from DronePano as its missing the sky - any tips?

I just took a great pano - usually use Lightroom or Photoshop but thought I would try ICE. Having problems getting it to organise and orient the 20 images from DronePano as its missing the sky - any tips?
Did you go in under the structured panorama settings or let it auto detect? Then under projection select Spherical.

Hey guys, if you want join the DronePan beta and have not yet received an invite, please drop us your email here and I'll add you:
DronePan : Sign Up to Stay in Touch

I've watched your vids on your YouTube channel. In regards to getting more 'actual' sky in the pictures, the Phantom has a setting to increase the gimbal pitch 30 degrees 'upward'.

You may already know about this, but just wanting to pass along if not.

When connected to the P3:

iOksMd5.jpg

Reactions: pdw
Did you go in under the structured panorama settings or let it auto detect? Then under projection select Spherical.

I tried both - if left on auto it does not seem to detect the number of pictures per row, and on structured I can dial it in but the output is unpredictable. Whereas the trail version of PT GUI nailed it - sphere with the top cut off <- thats not the most technical term I know but you know what I mean.

I had some success with ICE by omitting the last two shots in the sequence but not perfect. I did however create a conventional panorama in Lightroom from the results of DronePan and the results are quite nice. Clear images and certainly really easy to take from the Phantom 3 perspective, saved a lot of work at the time.

DJI_0074-Pano-Edit.jpg

From an application perspective:-
  • I do like the simple approach but it would benefit from neater GUI
  • I always worry about drift creating blur in some lighting conditions, not a problem today but it was still drifting after a turn perhaps a slider for slow - fast sequence
  • I also rarely do a full 360 pano, tend to do 270 at most, perhaps a slider to set degrees
  • I know its not flying recording video, but a map in the lower right would be a nice touch for orientation and for flying from A to B
  • If automatic camera settings is all we can use adjust EV and lock AE would be nice
All that said, it's a great little app and certainly one worth having in the toolbox as it took a great series of shots with no effort on my part at all so really looking forward to the development process and very happy to be on the beta. I will be using it again this weekend for sure.

Reactions: GeoChan and pdw
It tried my beta DronePan yesterday afternoon and all seemed well. I sat about 15ft for the first run, so I could see clearly and retrieve quickly if anything went wrong. Nothing did.

I assumed that the app would require F mode, but started in P just to see what would happen. The app tried to start and then flagged up that I needed to change modes. Unfortunately, on the iPhone 6 screen the text ran out of space so the message lost the 'F'.

At 400ft the 20 shots ran smoothly and I changed location to take another set.

My problem is in post processing. I used Lightroom to stitch the panorama using 'spherical' and this worked fine, with no discernible artifacts but I cannot see how to view the finished picture as a sphere.

Is there a good Mac app for this, or does Lightroom have a setting I've missed?

Last edited:
I'm having trouble producing a spherical panorama, but PTGui gives a good regular panorama from the DronePan set; as below (watermarks as I am trialling the app).

Attachments

• 1 Panorama (1)web.jpg
    1 Panorama (1)web.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,020
Last edited:
Thanks Bob. I'm thinking of setting up a web site, so this is good news - and motivation!

that's a nice photo, but it's not a 360-panoroma. Dronepan allows you to take 20 pictures in a spherical configuration and using 3rd party apps, construct a 360-degree panoroma. This can be viewed in VR with google cardboard, gear VR, oculus rift - or viewed on your smartphone by just rotating your phone. or viewed on a computer monitor by dragging the mouse:

almond park orangevale

-note: fake sky.. unfortunately, you can't take pictures above the aircraft... you can either fake a sky or leave a big gaping black hole at the top.

Would you mind sharing your process for faking the sky?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20