DroneFly any good? Nope.

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that if a P2 is assembled correctly, there isn't an affordable quad that can touch it. Ok. I ordered a "Production Kit" from Dronefly.com. After all was said and done I had spent a considerable amount of cheddar for a worthless and poorly assembled unit. The intereference board wasn't grounded and was on the outside of the hull so it was totally useless....basically a passthrough board. The IOSD was also on the outside introducing it to more interference. The gimbal was bad right off the bat. I sent it back on my dime. It came back after replacing the main board on the hull.(?) Whatever. I flew it once and the problem (drooping) was still there. The gimbal went dead. I sent it back a second time and they would not warranty the H3-3D. I had to buy another gimbal granted at a reduced price. Now there was no feed from the GoPro and again....no warranty. I sent the unit to a professional drone guy. He expressed that the unit was a joke as far as the assembly goes. He said that it was put together in haste and with no regard to electronic placement to maximize efficiency. I shipped the unit to him and from the pictures and video I get now it is a totally different photography platform. HE EVEN FIXED THE GOPRO! I am out over 600.00 for what I should have gotten the first time from Dronefly. If you want the guys name and facebook page....PM me. This guy is awesome....period. His work is perfect and his prices are even better. His communication is on the spot and your project will be documented with progression in pictures!
Bad Dronefly......baaaaad Dronefly.

Jeff Clack said:
Let me start by saying that if a P2 is assembled correctly, there isn't an affordable quad that can touch it. Ok. I ordered a "Production Kit" from Dronefly.com. After all was said and done I had spent a considerable amount of cheddar for a worthless and poorly assembled unit. The intereference board wasn't grounded and was on the outside of the hull so it was totally useless....basically a passthrough board. The IOSD was also on the outside introducing it to more interference. The gimbal was bad right off the bat. I sent it back on my dime. It came back after replacing the main board on the hull.(?) Whatever. I flew it once and the problem (drooping) was still there. The gimbal went dead. I sent it back a second time and they would not warranty the H3-3D. I had to buy another gimbal granted at a reduced price. Now there was no feed from the GoPro and again....no warranty. I sent the unit to a professional drone guy. He expressed that the unit was a joke as far as the assembly goes. He said that it was put together in haste and with no regard to electronic placement to maximize efficiency. I shipped the unit to him and from the pictures and video I get now it is a totally different photography platform. HE EVEN FIXED THE GOPRO! I am out over 600.00 for what I should have gotten the first time from Dronefly. If you want the guys name and facebook page....PM me. This guy is awesome....period. His work is perfect and his prices are even better. His communication is on the spot and your project will be documented with progression in pictures!
Bad Dronefly......baaaaad Dronefly.

It's rather laughable to see that you failed to respond to anyone on your last bashing of Dronefly, but instead chose to bash them again on another post. It seems very clear from your posts and ignoring of other people's comments on your previous post that you are the problem. When are you going to start responding and actually telling us what happened? I've had nothing but amazing service from Dronefly, as have many of these other members. You seem to be the ONLY complainer. :lol:

+1 MrDrone. Dronefly has always treated me as a valuable customer and I will go back to them for any new purchases. Not many companies get my recommendation as I am hard to please, but I highly recommend Dronefly.

Didn't DJI originally suggest the interference board was mounted externally? In fact most tutorial videos still mount it externally. Saves taking the shell apart.

It doesn't need grounding either. You simply plug it inline between the motherboard and gimbal. Whether it is mounted inside the shell or outside makes no difference. The plastic shell is not shielded and that 1 and a bit mm of plastic won't have any effect on interference. I would suggest the same goes for the iOSD.

Dronefly has replaced parts for me that they had absolutely no responsibility to replace under warranty. But I have to wonder, did the OP crash then expect his gimbal to be covered under warranty?

SteveMann said:
Dronefly has replaced parts for me that they had absolutely no responsibility to replace under warranty. But I have to wonder, did the OP crash then expect his gimbal to be covered under warranty?

Same here. Expierence with them has ben excellent. This OP has issues with them, he needs to stop already, the bashing is getting old

My experience with them has been mixed. I have no complaints with the technical work they've done, but serious complaints about their customer service. I just got my P2 back today. I'm sure it's perfectly fine, but I will not be using them again. I don't mean to hijack Jeff Clack's post, so I'll post my own topic later tonight.

I have had nothing but very very positive experiences with DF. However the loud ones get heard and often have the ability to spread incorrect information based on ONE experience where others here equaling many many experiences have found them to be positive as well.

This board is notorious for fostering that "lynch mob mentality" and when these guys feel they have a following for misguided thoughts it spreads around here like wildfire. Some people just love to speak very loud and some simply like to follow the loud mouths!

I guess that's inherit in society and not just this forum but it seems this forum is a magnet for that stuff. But in closing DroneFly possibly lost 1 customer because of this post and even losing 1 is a shame because they are good peeps!

I too have had great service from DroneFly. I bought my second P2 from them and had an issue with a faulty 5.8 TX, they sent me a brand new one straight away even before getting the broken one.

I can't comment on their build as I built mine myself to save money.

I would certainly use them again for any future purchases as living in the middle of the Pacific Ocean where I do, customer service is where it is at.

I've sent three Phantoms in for repairs by DroneFly.

1. My P1 had a meeting with a mighty Eucalyptus and ended up on the ground smoking when I got to it. I sent it to DF and they called me to let me know they had received it and it would be shipped back shortly. I was impressed at how quickly they turned it around and sent it back. When it came back there was no invoice. They had fixed it for the prepaid cost of $99. It worked perfectly after that, so I was ok with it, but I still wanted to know what was done.

2. Another P1 had an altercation with a fence or the ground (I didn't see the impact.) I prepaid the $99 and sent it in. No communication but my P1 was back quickly, this time with an invoice and I saw my card charged about $86 for a new CAN Bus. In my note with the prepayment, I specifically asked them to notify me if there would be additional charges. Didn't happen. Charged my card, though.

A week or so later, I got a customer service survey from them. I took the time to fill it out carefully, letting them know I was thrilled with the repairs and turnaround time, but disappointed with the lack of communication and customer service. No response, but I didn't expect one.

3. Just got my P2V+ back after repairs from its crash in Lao. Again, I specifically asked them to contact me before completing repairs. I wanted to talk to them about upgrades to my antennas. I received an email from Kevin asking for permission to charge my card for a new gimbal & camera (ouch.) I emailed back saying go ahead and replace those parts but please give me a call because I want to talk about some additional work. I also called and left a voice message. Then I sent an additional email asking him again to contact me before shipping my P2 back.

My next contact was a form email telling me my Phantom was being shipped and what day to expect it. Again the repairs and shipping were fast but the communication was a one way street.

To summarize:
incident #1 - no invoice
incident #2 - charged my card without permission
incident #3 - no communication despite repeated attempts by me

Conclusion: They do good work, but I will not use them again. I asked them four times to contact me, and they didn't. This is not my idea of customer service.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20