DroneExpert Improving GPS Signal Video

Sadly even Dronexpert do not know where to get the adhevisive aluminium foil sheets. It seems it is only available in very larges quantities. Maybe somebody will start to sell it.

vortigern said:
Sadly even Dronexpert do not know where to get the adhevisive aluminium foil sheets. It seems it is only available in very larges quantities. Maybe somebody will start to sell it.

Please look here how you can do it :D
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19099

Firstly, i want to commend drone expert. I am AMAZEBALLS!
I have always wanted to take off in my backyard. I usually just go ATTI and float for 2 minutes to get lock. I then set new home lock in the sky. This always chewed flying time and is more riskier.

Tonight, I did a control test and got 5-6 satellites and that was after 3 minutes.
I moved her to another location just so she didnt have a GPS memory.
Half hour later after the mod, and back at the control site, I got 7 satellites in 53 seconds.
I can now take more risk when launching in tight narrow areas knowing that the phantom will be assisted. Last week at Bents Basin, I couldn't take off because the rockwalls on both sides blocked the GPS and gave 5 sats. I couldnt ATTI launch her because of the wind channelling down made it even more riskier. This is must mod for those who want to take off in poor GPS locations or if you are affected when you record.

Secondly, the mod.
I tucked the cable under the shield as per video.

vortigern said:

What i love was that it was It was cheap and easy. Household foil :) and contact. Trace, cut, add foil, paste.
I forgot to take photos of the aluminium foil on the adhesion. It should be self explanatory. Basically what you want to do is block the electronics from interfering with the GPS signal.
I just use adhesive contact and left the adhesion exposed on the arm parts and foiled the middle. I used shiny side of the foil to reflect (arguable). I reckon wide clear sticky tape would work. Just make sure you dont block the vents.

GPS%20Foil%20Mod.jpg

Results:
GPS%20foil%20mod.png

This shouldnt differ in flight as she will always pick up 10+ sats.
Hopefully she will fly more stable at lower altitudes and minimise "fly-aways".
Thanks drone expert!!!

Edit: Question... did drone expert discover this or did someone on some forum?

Will opening up the Phantom invalidate warranty out of interest? If yes I guess it's a tradeoff - loose warranty or loose the phantom after GPS is lost and it flies away... :)

jarrah31 said:
Will opening up the Phantom invalidate warranty out of interest? If yes I guess it's a tradeoff - loose warranty or loose the phantom after GPS is lost and it flies away... :)

What warranty? :D

We took this issue up in our technical group that are working with AIS and GPS and the answer from the group was this:
It more looks like an EMC problem with the installation of the GPS. What they are doing in the Youtube clip is shielding the GPS receiver form first of all the WiFI unit and maybe also the engine control . The GPS receiver is very sensitive of nocie as the signals from the satellites are very week (-130 -150dBm).
Conclusion: the fix does not improve the the GPS but takes away surrounding nonce!!

It would be an interesting experiment to take the top of the Phantom of and have a longer GPS cable and do some test on the same spot mounted and 1m away!

//gunnar
Pardon my English :D

Thanks I did not check all of it :)
Noise was what I meant !! Sorry ;-)
//gunnar

RPA said:
First may I say that your English is far better than my second language by miles.

But I had to lol at the accidental misuse of the word nonce.

Nonce is most definitely best avoided in all its forms. Particularly in the UK at the moment as it seems we are having a nonce crackdown right now.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nonce

pmsl .......... ooops lolol :lol:

My intentions where good!
Maybe someone that looks beyond misspellings could do the test :)
Spelling/misspelling should maybe be in an other forum.
End of discussion!
Ma

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik