Dronecast, the Pinnacle of Stupidity

ianwood

Taco Wrangler
Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/Dronecast.us

Please post on their wall and help them understand just how dumb they are before someone gets hurt.

https://vimeo.com/100077609

15183_588192071279976_3136397073245824225_n.jpg

It's ok man. The guy is putting himself out of business before he starts.
Would you pay $50,000 for 20 minutes worth of time?
Hell, for that, I can hire 5 advertising trucks and cover more territory all day long.
I seriously doubt if he's gonna have a customer.

found on Google

According to Singh, the logistics of the drone are quite simple. In the test run, he created a banner for his company and attached it to a drone that sailed about twenty-five feet high in the Philadelphia skyline. The drone, equipped with GPS, then followed the route Singh generated with an iPad app he and his team created

note the end part, isn't he just using Ground Station i think its called? Also how is he only flying 25feet around when he should be 50metres away from anyone

someone's already been posting about safety of flying drones over/near crowds and the guy is just blowing him off saying "we've already taken all necessary and possible precautions with our drones"... NOT THE POINT JACKASS just because something is as safe as it can be doesn't mean it's safe. a freaking chainsaw is as safe as it can be but I wouldn't run one in a crowd of people

Suwaneeguy said:
It's ok man. The guy is putting himself out of business before he starts.
Would you pay $50,000 for 20 minutes worth of time?
Hell, for that, I can hire 5 advertising trucks and cover more territory all day long.
I seriously doubt if he's gonna have a customer.

Which will get a much lower ROI than a drone banner. At least people will be interested in looking at this. Although the novelty will wear off soon enough once the advertising market catches on. Then it will just be a cheaper alternative to an add truck or billboard.

Like it or not this is the future folks. How is this any different than amazon/ups delivering packages? He's skipped the "formal" COA and testing process is all. Which is so absurdly expensive and time consuming it is just useless for any small business to try right now.

Please post on their wall and help them understand just how dumb they are before someone gets hurt.

Coming from you Ianwood, who made the video of downtown LA this is confusing. Flying over urban areas is ok if you don't have a banner? But with a banner is not? Or is it that advertising inherently involves groups of people? I'll admit there is risk there, which can be mitigated by where and when you choose to fly. But flying in a city at 7:00 AM or high noon doesn't eliminate all risk. This business has taken on slightly more risk than you did by flying in downtown LA. It's in their best interest to be as safe as possible as it was when you were filming LA. I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt and commend them on what could be a very profitable business.

Reactions: dronadsystems
Must have hit a nerve with dronecast. Posted some opinions.
After some back and forth comments they deleted everything.
Must be worried about something.
What bothers me as much as anything is what they do is there business and they can take their chances, but to try to entice other into a possibly serious situation is unimaginable.
On one had they say there's nothing illegal about it and on the other hand they claim to be working closely with the FAA.
It's actions like theirs that will most certainly bring strict regulation and in some state possibly likely a ban.
Totally irresponsible.

derrickduff said:
Coming from you Ianwood, who made the video of downtown LA this is confusing. Flying over urban areas is ok if you don't have a banner? But with a banner is not? Or is it that advertising inherently involves groups of people? I'll admit there is risk there, which can be mitigated by where and when you choose to fly. But flying in a city at 7:00 AM or high noon doesn't eliminate all risk. This business has taken on slightly more risk than you did by flying in downtown LA. It's in their best interest to be as safe as possible as it was when you were filming LA. I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt and commend them on what could be a very profitable business.

What's there to be confused about? Look at the description on my video. I am surprised the difference is not completely obvious to you. I avoid crowds. He targets them! What he's doing and what I do are night and day different. I've established a detailed set of safety constraints of which he has already broken 50% or more (overflying crowds, violating restricted airspace, etc.). Not to mention he's using an S1000 with CF props and towing a sail!

:shock:

Add to that, he has no safety statement whatsoever which tells me he hasn't even thought about it. And when confronted with it, he lies to cover up the oversight. That I can be lumped in with him is exactly why I want his irresponsible operation shut down ASAP.

QYV said:
someone's already been posting about safety of flying drones over/near crowds and the guy is just blowing him off saying "we've already taken all necessary and possible precautions with our drones"... NOT THE POINT JACKASS just because something is as safe as it can be doesn't mean it's safe. a freaking chainsaw is as safe as it can be but I wouldn't run one in a crowd of people
Who are you calling jackass....and why??????????

QYV said:

What's there to be confused about? Look at the description on my video. I am surprised the difference is not completely obvious to you. I avoid crowds. He targets them! What he's doing and what I do are night and day different. I've established a detailed set of safety constraints of which he has already broken 50% or more (overflying crowds, violating restricted airspace, etc.). Not to mention he's using an S1000 with CF props and towing a sail!

:shock:

Add to that, he has no safety statement whatsoever which tells me he hasn't even thought about it. And when confronted with it, he lies to cover up the oversight. That I can be lumped in with him is exactly why I want his irresponsible operation shut down ASAP.

I didn't say activity A is equal to activity B. I said activity A has risk and activity B has risk. But what you're saying is your arbitrary safety constraints should be followed by everybody. And if they don't they're completely night and day from what you've done, which I might add violate plenty of other arbitrary safety constraints anybody could come up with. There's plenty of people who would be much more comfortable with us flying laps in open fields miles from civilization.

Don't get me wrong, for the most part I agree with the measures you've taken to mitigate risk. And I commend you for such a great video of downtown LA. I just don't understand why a certain risky activity is kosher because you say so while another is not.

What you're saying is all things are relative which is true. And there is no absolute line of demarcation between safe and unsafe. But, I don't think it takes much to recognize that there is a gulf of difference between my approach and his. I am not mandating my rules nor do I believe they are perfect. But I have them and I have put a lot of consideration into them.

I believe urban flying can and must be done with a lot of consideration for multiple safety factors.

I am calling out Mr. Dronecast for not putting any consideration into safety and ignoring what I consider to be obvious safety concerns. And for trying to BS his way out of it when asked about it.

His site says "patent pending." How do you patent a DJI copter carrying a banner? His dad owns a luxury travel company so guess it's a typical deal where just because the family has money, all the sudden you are an entrepreneur.

What's really bothering me is... yeah... so maybe, by some miracle, he's figured out how to make the drone 100% safe; no flyaways, no lost connections, perfect flying record (fat chance, but let's give him - and his "patents" - the benefit of the doubt for a moment). There are still so many things he can't control that would make this an insanely dangerous undertaking... not the least of which is the population themselves. We all saw the video a few months ago of the quad flying over the celebration of a sporting win (can't remember the team/sport at the moment). Those people turned downright hostile and pelted the drone out of the sky with rocks and beer bottles. It, if I remember, it was higher than 25 feet up at the time.

The kid is just making up numbers and 'reporters' are just writing down whatever he says. If you guys google around, in one article he was saying that he charges $100 for a whole day (or something stupidly small) and in another article he's talking about $50,000 contracts. The only clients he mentions is some dive bar that gave him a $100 or so to fly a bit...

So yeah... don't believe everything you read.

This is a complete non-starter in the U.S. The FAA explicitly prohibits flying 'drones' for commercial purposes - unless the FAA grants a license for this (which so far they've done only for an oil company in the Alaskan Arctic).

If it is correct that this guy comes from money I'd imagine that he's done more that just bought a multirotor and set up a Facebook page. Presumably the family lawyers have been involved with setting up this business and he's obtained the appropriate permissions to do this (thanks in no small part to his families business influences no doubt). I notice in one picture on his FB page that he's cordoned off an area of beach in New Jersey to conduct his operations, that must have required various permits...surely?

Regardless, the guy and presumably the city are exposing themselves to all sorts of risks, personally I'd never fly a multirotor over a crowd of people I didn't have control over or have the express permission from as you would do when making a movie.

It would be interesting to find out whether he has determined the maximum safe wind velocity limits of the aircraft when towing large sail and whether there is some sort of safety mechanism that would allow the sail to detach in an emergency?

In my opinion it's a bad idea around and offers little advantage over the usual much safer advertising methods.

If he's operating in your area, write to the city council and point out the risks involved before he brings the flying of multirotors into disrepute.

ProfessorStein said:
We all saw the video a few months ago of the quad flying over the celebration of a sporting win (can't remember the team/sport at the moment). Those people turned downright hostile and pelted the drone out of the sky with rocks and beer bottles. It, if I remember, it was higher than 25 feet up at the time.

I was thinking the same thing.

I think it's unrealistic to expect a hobbyist to not fly their quad because they live in an urban environment. Much has been discussed about risk mitigation, and it's a good discussion to have, but it doesn't address the tipping point. I think the tipping point for urban flight has to be in areas where there are known groups of people.

Monte55 said:
QYV said:

whatever jackass was responding as DroneCast's facebook to their Fb comments with such brilliance as the one I quoted.... and for ... the reason I subsequently said.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj