Dronebase- is it worth it

I did a few pano missions a week ago(weather has been bad). First one I did and uploaded, paid out with-in minutes. So, I was impressed by that. The others haven't had the success as did the first, but just getting out there and having the opportunity to make a little f/u $$ and some experience seems worth it.
I've only did missions around my neighborhood and work. As soon as the weather gets better. I'll try some more...

Reactions: microraptor
I use the same settings on my P3P.
The Mavic needs different settings due to the different FOV, the P4 I have read are the same as the P3, so P4P should be good too.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I wondered if I could use Litchi Pano mode when doing these missions, but never knew what settings to use. I give these a go and hopefully they work out for my P4 Pro.

I use the same settings on my P3P.
The Mavic needs different settings due to the different FOV, the P4 I have read are the same as the P3, so P4P should be good too.

For you guys who used Litchi Pano to do pano missions. The settings listed above left a black hole in the middle of the pano on one of my missions. Never had this happen before when done manually. Sure settings listed above are for a P4 Pro? Thx

Is dronebase paying on a pending 107 license, or should I wait until I get my final in the mail?

Last edited:
How do you know if a pano mission hasn't already been done by someone else? I realize that there are multiple avenues to sell the photos for db, but I would think the chances of getting paid are much lower if a mission has already been completed and paid out to another pilot. So, is there a way to know this when considering a mission?

How do you know if a pano mission hasn't already been done by someone else? I realize that there are multiple avenues to sell the photos for db, but I would think the chances of getting paid are much lower if a mission has already been completed and paid out to another pilot. So, is there a way to know this when considering a mission?

You select a mission on the map, and click "Add Mission", and that locks it to your account - no other pilot can see it or select it. Then you fly it, and upload the results. If, for some reason, you can't complete the mission, you just go to your account, select the mission, and cancel it - it will then be available to other pilots.

You select a mission on the map, and click "Add Mission", and that locks it to your account - no other pilot can see it or select it. Then you fly it, and upload the results. If, for some reason, you can't complete the mission, you just go to your account, select the mission, and cancel it - it will then be available to other pilots.
I see. So, what's stopping someone from monopolizing every mission in an area for themselves? I have two missions added but because of the weather I haven't flown them this week yet. I can hold them indefinitely? Another pilot in my town can add every local mission and wipe out the offerings indefinitely? You're sure this is how it works?

I actually thought this was the way it worked, and found a flaw with in. The flaw being someone "hoarding" all the missions. Turns out it doesn't work this way.

All missions are displayed until the submit button is hit. So you could possibly shoot a mission, go home to upload, only to find out someone beat you to it. This hasn't happened yet, but if it does, contact Nick and he will take care of it.

I see. So, what's stopping someone from monopolizing every mission in an area for themselves? I have two missions added but because of the weather I haven't flown them this week yet. I can hold them indefinitely? Another pilot in my town can add every local mission and wipe out the offerings indefinitely? You're sure this is how it works?

OK, I was wrong. I just spoke to the DroneBase folks:

If someone adds a mission, it is still available to be added by other pilots. Once someone completes the mission and it is accepted (i.e. is properly stitched), then it is removed from the map. So yes, multiple pilots can have the missions added - but they can't horde them.

I asked about the case of multiple pilots adding the mission, perhaps shooting and uploading at close to the same times. They opined that this hasn't been a problem as yet. I suggested that they change the icon of a mission that has been accepted by at least one pilot - so that you might elect not to go shoot it unless it sits there for a while and doesn't get completed. They took it under advisement.

I'm curious to know how long does it take to get paid for approved panos? Ive done six and they were all approve but haven't been paid for them. any ideas?

Did you go to Qwil and create an account? That is where you get paid.

You should have received an email, mine was "Invitation to Qwil from DroneBase" from [email protected]
I'm curious to know how long does it take to get paid for approved panos? Ive done six and they were all approve but haven't been paid for them. any ideas?

It all depends. Some I've been paid within hours, others days, others not at all yet.

Did you go to Qwil and create an account? That is where you get paid.

You should have received an email, mine was "Invitation to Qwil from DroneBase" from [email protected]
Yeah did the qwil thing, but only was paid for the first one I did...the 6 that i just did say N/a next to payment. Guess its it or miss, but definitely lessons the chances of me going back out and doing more of these missions...

Approved only means it stitched together, not that they have sold. You will get an e-mail each time one is actually sold.

I had only been paid for four of the last 25 I submitted. Was about to give up too, but just had one sell today - big $19 payday! :)

Thier web site has refreshed with almost all new listings, including several in my own zip code which has never had any previously. So maybe...
Yeah did the qwil thing, but only was paid for the first one I did...the 6 that i just did say N/a next to payment. Guess its it or miss, but definitely lessons the chances of me going back out and doing more of these missions...

To make panos pay off, here's my advice:

1. Find a cluster of them near each other and bang them all out, maximizing your time and fuel expended. Once you get the workflow down, it should take no more than 10 minutes on-site. I can do missions in 5 flat when I'm on my game.
2. Shoot only between 11a-2p when the sun is highest in the sky. Dark, shaded images don't sell nearly as well.
3. Sunny days make better looking images. Overcast days mitigate harsh shadows. So if I have to shoot later than 2, I do so on overcast days.
4. Use a sun shade. For the beauty shots, you really need to see well to ensure that they are the best they can be.

From what I have read and my experience with DB here are my 2 cents. Out of all these posts only one person Davemex said he was getting client missions. Frankly I don't believe him. I live in Houston and I email back and forth with a guy named Nick at DB and he said he would send over client missions as soon as they are available. Houston area has 6 million people and they don't have a single client mission? No way. When I asked Nick why the pay was so low he said it was not sold to the realtor but to a "data company" I pressed him further and he said Zillow. So this whole company seems to be a shill for Zillow or realtor.com. Think about it they don't care what gets paid for a job- take 100,000 panos times $20 bucks and what do you get- $2 million bucks , while we get $25 bucks. Until DB starts showing client missions with guaranteed payouts, I am sticking with my story. By the way I have not seen 1 company for drone pilots to sign up with that gets any results.
Ok that said I have made some money with them, about %60 payout, but ask yourself are you too lazy to call people and ask for work and just like not having to talk with people to sell your service? The time you spend flying $20 panos, uploading them and praying for a payout you could have made real contacts in your area. This is a sales business, leave the cave. kill something and bring it home.

Dronebase is having a problem with their software. Sent in 7 panos today and 4 of them came back upside down and were rejected.

190b0c33803649ea44b36d758a175dcd.jpg

c1e87ce03ef4cace919d76f9671db72a.jpg

6c6861fdd89bb1e34bac16e0da04b78d.jpg

I resubmitted them and one came back correctly and the other 3 upside down again. I'll keep resubmitting until they are all stitched correctly. Always check your rejected panos. It may not be your fault.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.