Drone World Range Extender

Reaction score
Has anybody purchased or have any experience with the drone-world.com Range extender? It looks like a clean mod that they install for you, but the price is a bit hefty at $499. Just wondering if it's worth it. I'm also a bit hesitant to send in my controller.. They're claiming almost 5 mile range with it installed, and it does not void warranty like say the DBS mod. Thanks!

Phantom 3 Long Range Extender System Upgrade

to much money other mods like argtek for 74 and easy install much better than 499 looks like a dbs mod that sells on amazon for 109

Too expensive IMO, it actually would void the warranty if DJI knew about it, but they use the same antenna holes so there is no drilling where the FPVLR and Itelite versions necessitate new holes.

Last edited:
Range claims are like gas mileage... YMMV.

Notice the video is in a remote un-populated area.

Then they claim faster and longer... antennas don't do that.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm new to this so this is all extremely helpful. How easy is it to install the DBS mod? I'm terrified to open my controller. I tried finding videos but it seems the only ones I could find were for Phantom 2. Is it the same install?

The DroneWorld extender is just a rebranded DBS. When ordering DBSMod from DBS, you can request longer wires and feed them through the stock antenna holes.

Reactions: Wowbango
The DroneWorld extender is just a rebranded DBS. When ordering DBSMod from DBS, you can request longer wires and feed them through the stock antenna holes.

Interesting, I wonder how they can possibly justify a $290 difference. Good to know as I thought it was the connector size that had to be altered to make them fit.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm new to this so this is all extremely helpful. How easy is it to install the DBS mod? I'm terrified to open my controller. I tried finding videos but it seems the only ones I could find were for Phantom 2. Is it the same install?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes, this looks like a rebranded DBS mod antenna setup. It says it won't void the warranty, but I'm skeptical since they have to open up the controller to install SMA connectors. It also FALSELY illustrates this antenna to be omni-directional, which is definitely false. Since that false statement, I'm skeptical with the whole ad, especially the warranty statement. DBS is cheaper, and the same principle, antenna-wise. If you're not comfortable opening up your RC to install the DBS antenna, you might want to start off with a pair of Windsurfer parabolic antenna reflectors. That will extend your range beyond 2 miles, and it's simple to slip over your stock antenna's. They're also easy to fit into a backpack case, unlike the DBS and FPVLR setups. Did I mention Windsurfer 3D printed reflectors are $25? Great value.

This is the false illustration in the DroneWorld ad. That antenna is not omni-directional. Even the scale of this illustration is inaccurate. Since when is 5mi about two times 1.2mi?
upload_2016-2-18_13-51-59.png

Last edited:
If you can fly 4 miles with a windsurfer, that requires no mods, who wouldn't be happy with that? I've got one on the way. I can't see any reason to want to fly any farther than that. You will risk not making it back because of battery. Just my opinion.

OK all of you 3D designers, here's an idea to contemplate. Maybe you'd like to design something unique and capture the market. I'd like to see how this setup would compete in the distance wars. If you recall a former forum member named RF Guy (I haven't seen him online lately), he was an RF antenna designer. In a couple of PM's he said the most efficient windsurfer design would be positioned around 2" from the antenna shaft, however the fixed width of 3.5" between the stock antennas prevented that. The stock antenna's mandated the parabolic dish be positioned about 3/4" away from the shaft.

The idea I present below is to widen the antenna spacing in an effort to get closer to the 2" spacing from the parabolic dish to the antenna shaft. That can be done with a custom rack for Sunhans amps. If we widen the antenna spacing this naturally facilitates an increase in the size of the parabolic dish, which also serves as a bigger "catcher's mit" in a directional manner. Bigger is better, right :rolleyes:?

In this design it would use foldable 7" antennas, something available off the shelf for the 2.4Ghz band. I've seen 7" versions for sale before from a guy in Florida (not Tony at FPVLR). These antennas would also have a greater gain than stock 5" antennas. This modification would require taking the RC apart and installing SMA connectors in the standard antenna holes. I've seen cable kits with longer SMA shafts to do this easily. In the illustrations attached, what I don't show if the height of the dish. RF Guy said it should go about 2" above the top of the antenna shaft. This makes the dish about 9" X 10", which is kinda large I know, but I think it would still be lighter than the DBS mod setup with Amps. Just think, 90 square inches of signal gathering surface! Whoa.

So why design such a crazy looking setup? Here's my list:

1. It would be cheaper than other amplified kits, using off the shelf Wifi antennas.
2. Flexibility. The setup can be used without a parabolic directional dish for an amplified omni-directional setup.
3. The setup could be used without the amps when you're not flying very far away. Simply screw on the antennas directly to the RC and remove the amp rack (velcro). This may work better than stock antennas because of the longer 7" antennas.
4. Distance should be as good or better than FPVLR or DBS, theoretically, just a guess.
5. Ergonomically it would likely store away in a case easier, if the parabolic dishes were the two piece style.

I'll buy the first kit someone releases.
RC antenna idea.jpg

Also Drone World customer service is TERRIBLE!!! Just try calling them & you NEVER get a answer. I ordered my P-3 Pro from them & was short a few items. They only reply to you in E-mails or Facebook.messenger. Save yourself some aggravation & buy elsewhere!!!!!

I purchased the Thor multi battery charger from Drone World for $99. I then read on here that
it is the same charger that is sold online from China for $45, just with Drone World printed on them. I emailed them and asked them if this was true, and received no reply. Well, I guess I know the answer to that one...I will never buy anything from Drone World again.

Thanks for all the useful information everybody! I'll start with a windsurfer and go from there! Maybe save that $400 towards an Inspire 1 :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.