Drone World - Firebridge RC, Internal Boosters

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Drone World RC with Firebridge? If you do, have you opened the RC to see how they embedded the booster amps inside? I'm wondering how they found the room to mount those.

This video makes some interesting claims of internalized booster amps that are powered from the RC battery. This kind of setup is desirable, versus the added weight and bulk of external amps and battery, along with the antenna mod. This "firebridge" setup uses the FPVLR antenna, not my preference from an ergonomic and durability point of view. I've owned FPVLR antenna before and I was not happy with the size of the antenna, and how fragile it seemed.

I would really like to see the inside of this Firebridge RC to see just how they managed to squeeze it inside the RC, and what Amps they used. This is the kind of upgrade that MaxxUAS should consider offering. Drone World is always expensive, and a bit shady if you ask me. However, it does appear they have created a very slick setup, along with a nice video.

I recently bought a small 2W amp that are less than half the size of the Sunhans amps, but they aren't enclosed in aluminum, which is suspect for EMI. This 2W amp is a compromise to get the size needed for internal mounting, but I believe 2W is enough to get a 3 mile range, reliably, which is all I want with my P4, given the limitations of the battery. I also bought a 7.2V to 5V DC power converter, needed to power the amp from the internal RC battery, shown below. I'm not sure how good this will work, but I'm going to try it and see, whenever I get time. I will need to order some cables for internal mounting, this cable in the photo isn't compatible with what I need to do. Before I order cables I need to confirm mounting ergonomics inside the RC is viable.

upload_2017-2-20_10-13-49.png

upload_2017-2-20_10-17-55.png

upload_2017-2-20_10-26-12.png

Keep me posted on this one. I really like many of Drone World's products. However, they are way overpriced. You can find the same products on Ebay and other sites and save anywhere between 30 to 70 percent! I like the Firebridge setup. But for the cost you can run a more powerful twin 4 watt system for half of what they charge. Yes, the Firebridge is cool but I'd have to ask what is the actual wattage output of it? From the reviews I've seen, they don't have much more range than just running an aftermarket antenna. I see a lot of comments about different ways to extend the range of the DJI Phantom. One thing I'm not seeing is the fact that this is a two way system and the drone has to be able to broadcast the signal back to the controller. So shouldn't you modify the drone as well?

I really like the look of the falcon series by drone world - but also found it WAY overpriced. Would also be interested in hearing from someone that bought this system as to whether or not it was worth the price.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

One thing I'm not seeing is the fact that this is a two way system and the drone has to be able to broadcast the signal back to the controller. So shouldn't you modify the drone as well?
Your theory is good, and I have seen attempts to do that. However it's added weight to the drone, which is counter productive to extending flight range. The conventional way to extend video reception range is to amplify the incoming video signal. Keep in mind that 3mi is really all the range most can fly anyway, given the battery limitations. It shouldn't take much amplification to go that far with a DBS2.2 antenna, but I'll find out.

Very interesting John! I'm following this one. I'm not sure which amplifiers Drone World is using. It could be the Sunhans without the case, but I haven't met anyone who has purchased the Firebridge kit. I'd be interested to see what they're doing to get boosters inside the remote.

Reactions: danwchabot
Your theory is good, and I have seen attempts to do that. However it's added weight to the drone, which is counter productive to extending flight range. The conventional way to extend video reception range is to amplify the incoming video signal. Keep in mind that 3mi is really all the range most can fly anyway, given the battery limitations. It shouldn't take much amplification to go that far with a DBS2.2 antenna, but I'll find out.
I am fortunate that I live in a rural area. Its mostly farm land around my home. So I get to test the range limits of my P3P and P4 quite often. I agree with you 100 percent that 3 miles is more than enough. At about 8000 feet I usually loose signal and I'm pretty content with that. I use the Skyreat antenna booster. It works pretty well. But I wouldn't mind having an set up with a DC powered booster. A solid three mile range would be pretty cool!

Today I took my GL300C apart to check out the interior room to install these two components. It appears very doable. The 2W amplifier I bought can be stuck to the back of the battery box inside with two sided sponge tape, that really sticky stuff that conforms to irregular surfaces. The DC to DC converter can be hot glued to the inside of the bottom of the RC case, right under the battery box. This location is convenient to splice the 7.4V battery wires (nearby) with the DC to DC converter, with an inline switch. I'll likely mount the amp switch on the top of the RC, between the antennas. What I need to complete the job are two custom RF cables. I will keep you posted as progress is made.

Oh, in case you were wondering...... I plan to install only one 2W amp inside the GL300C to boost the control signal. Based on my testing the P4 has a stronger video signal than my early P3P (W323A/GL300A), which will go 3mi with windsurfer. The P4 video signal seems adequate for 3mi with a DBS2.2 antenna, based on my comparison measurements between P3P and P4. The problem with the GL300C IMHO is the weak control signal from the RC, based on my measurements. As you may know, as soon as you lose control signal, that automatically shuts the video signal down simultaneously and RTH is auto enabled. I think if the control signal is boosted, the video will be adequate for 3mi. I just need the control signal to be adequate for 3mi. I think a 2W amp on the control signal antenna alone, should suffice. I'll find out soon.

Very interesting John! I'm following this one. I'm not sure which amplifiers Drone World is using. It could be the Sunhans without the case, but I haven't met anyone who has purchased the Firebridge kit. I'd be interested to see what they're doing to get boosters inside the remote.
It looks like DW has lowered their price on FireBridge RCs to $600, from $999. It might be worth it just to see what they're doing inside the RC.

It looks like DW has lowered their price on FireBridge RCs to $600, from $999. It might be worth it just to see what they're doing inside the RC.
I'm thinking your on the right track John! I'm anxious to see where you plan to install the 2w booster & power converter. I was looking at my controller. I'm thinking maybe modify the battery tray and place the 2w along side of the controller battery? I'm hoping you'll find space for a 2nd 2w somewhere for the video. Also, the DW has a small fan at the back of the controller as well. I'm wondering where they found that?

Also, the DW has a small fan at the back of the controller as well. I'm wondering where they found that?
Yeah, that fan worries me. I'm thinking they put that there for a reason. So when I fly with this I'll need to be cautious of the heat generated by the DC to DC converter, as well as the 2W amp. Given the low current draw from the amp I'm puzzled how it could generate so much heat that it required air circulation through the interior of the RC. That fan is mounted exactly where I plan to mount the DC to DC converter. It's not a problem finding the fan, and mounting it there, but it's just the hassle of that additional fan component and wiring that deters me from taking this too seriously. Since DW uses two amps (so they say), I may be able to get by without a fan using only one amp. Time will tell.

Yeah, that fan worries me. I'm thinking they put that there for a reason. So when I fly with this I'll need to be cautious of the heat generated by the DC to DC converter, as well as the 2W amp. Given the low current draw from the amp I'm puzzled how it could generate so much heat that it required air circulation through the interior of the RC. That fan is mounted exactly where I plan to mount the DC to DC converter. It's not a problem finding the fan, and mounting it there, but it's just the hassle of that additional fan component and wiring that deters me from taking this too seriously. Since DW uses two amps (so they say), I may be able to get by without a fan using only one amp. Time will tell.
I'm thinking that they are using a different battery for the controller. Something that is physically smaller to help accommodate the boosters. If so, this would leave ample space to make the mods needed.

After installing the 2W amp inside the RC, and installing the 7.2V to 5V DC to DC converter to power the amp, my results aren't so good. I only got 6200' before losing signal in my normal hilly flight area with no homes or buildings nearby. This was also using the DBS2.2 antenna. The amp appeared to be working from an RF output point of view, as I measure 77mw of RF power from the DBS2.2 antenna using the same method I used measuring stock RC's. In stock form I got only 22mw from the GL300C antenna. This flight test was an area I get 15,000' range with my stock GL658A using windsurfer. Keep in mind I did not boost the video signal coming from the craft, I only boosted the control signal going out to the craft. I was testing my theory that a weak RC control signal "alone" was the cause of such short range from the stock P4 RC (GL300C). My theory is based on my measurements of the video signal from the craft to ground from a P4 is stronger than my P3P, and my P3P can go 15,000' with a windsurfer on a stock GL300A RC.

One observation from the flight was when my video disconnected, I had full bars on the both signal strength meters, RC and HD. I also seemed to have control of the craft when the video disconnected, showing elevation gains in the telemetry data when I gave it command to ascend. So this is different than without the amp. Without amp I would suddenly lose control signal and the RC signal strength bars would suddenly go from 5 bars to none, which trigger video disconnect and sometimes RTH.

It wasn't easy installing the 2W amp and the DC to DC converter inside the RC, it took most of the day. There is no way to put a second amp inside the RC, IMO. I find it very hard to believe Drone World is doing this as they claim. Also, I could not find a way to tap into the internal RC power line AFTER the RC power switch. I had to tap into the battery wires and put an ON/OFF switch inline, in order to turn the amp on and off. The DroneWorld RC doesn't have a separate power switch (I think) for their internal amps, so this means they had to tap into the "switched" powerline somewhere. I couldn't find that switched powerline, but that doesn't mean they couldn't. It just makes me wonder what they are doing inside the RC. If they truly have TWO AMPS inside that RC, I would be very amazed. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would truly be a work of art if they are really doing that. As V7Sport points out, they must have compromised the battery size to shoehorn two amps inside the RC, assuming they really have two internal amps like they advertise.

Jake at MAXXUAS and I are both very curious about the Firebridge controller. If anyone has one of these, we'd like to talk with you about the performance you're getting.

I'm glad you did this project. I have been doing a lot of distance flying recently just for fun and see what kind of range I can get out of the P4 drone. I have two of the P4's. One of them seems to have a longer range than the other. So I'm thinking that wattage output varies somewhat from one P4 to the next. My most recent flight being yesterday, I reached 10,560 feet with just a pair of Skyreat wind surfers. For me that is about as far our as I feel comfortable sending my drone. It could be argued that for practical purposes 2 miles is more than far enough. However, it would be pretty cool to have a P4 that easily goes 3 or 4 miles. I had looked very hard at the Drone World P4 Falcon addition. But from all the reviews I could find I estimated that people were getting around a 30 percent increase in range at best with the addition of amps on the controller. My research showed that having 2 watt amps on the controller doesn't necessarily turn the P4 into a super drone. So I passed on the Falcon purchase. But I have to say, Drone World does have some really nice products and they are wonderfully displayed in those huge Nunak cases. I would like to get direct feedback from someone who has the Falcon P4 as well. But I'm thinking anyone could achieve pretty much the same results as the Falcon P4 or even better with 3rd party products and save yourself some money.

I'm glad you did this project. I have been doing a lot of distance flying recently just for fun and see what kind of range I can get out of the P4 drone. I have two of the P4's. One of them seems to have a longer range than the other. So I'm thinking that wattage output varies somewhat from one P4 to the next. My most recent flight being yesterday, I reached 10,560 feet with just a pair of Skyreat wind surfers. For me that is about as far our as I feel comfortable sending my drone. It could be argued that for practical purposes 2 miles is more than far enough. However, it would be pretty cool to have a P4 that easily goes 3 or 4 miles. I had looked very hard at the Drone World P4 Falcon addition. But from all the reviews I could find I estimated that people were getting around a 30 percent increase in range at best with the addition of amps on the controller. My research showed that having 2 watt amps on the controller doesn't necessarily turn the P4 into a super drone. So I passed on the Falcon purchase. But I have to say, Drone World does have some really nice products and they are wonderfully displayed in those huge Nunak cases. I would like to get direct feedback from someone who has the Falcon P4 as well. But I'm thinking anyone could achieve pretty much the same range or even better with 3rd party products and save yourself some money.

Check us out at MaxxUAV.com for range improvements. Much cheaper than Drone World and higher quality components. Drone World puts all their money in advertising and marketing. We put it on our products ;)

Check us out at MaxxUAV.com for range improvements. Much cheaper than Drone World and higher quality components. Drone World puts all their money in advertising and marketing. We put it on our products ;)

Just a thumbs up for your guys over at MaxxUAV Europe. I bought a second hand boosted Maxx Range, but couldn't deal with the size of the antenna. They sent me out a barebones version of the smaller version at a reduced rate and upgraded the shipping free of charge.

For no other reason than good customer service.

Now to install the thing!

Reactions: JakeMaxxUAV
Thank you Jake, I am already a fan and a customer. I installed your Itelite antenna with the clean install kit on my P3. Works wonderfully and I've really enjoyed it. I like your boosted system better than all the others I've seen so far. I personally haven't done the boosted version yet because of the bulk it adds to my controller. Also, none of my cases are set up for a controller with the amps mounted on it. I fly almost every day and sometimes two or three times a day filming our real estate properties. I don't want to have to disassemble the controller every time in need to store it. That why I was eyeing the Drone World Falcon. That and I have a weakness for the color red! However, I thinking very seriously about putting together a boosted system for our summer travel. I noticed Sunhans now has a 4 watt amp? Will you be modifying your mounts to accept then new Sunhands 4w? What about a boosted system for the P4P?

Last edited:
That's what I'm reading all over the internet. I've been holding out for a price drop. So far the P4P hasn't dropped much below $1,400.00. Maybe I'll just pull the trigger and buy one. It would be cheaper than purchasing that pretty little red Drone World Falcon P4. What is really inside that DW controller.... we may never know!

I have the DW falcon, it is way better then stock. I have flown the drone some where around 4miles out distance seems to be as far as your battery will get you, although I do have to get pretty high to get long distance. I also have the titan ground station I have since quit using the firehawk since the purchase of the ground station. This ground station is awesome the ground station cost me $600 and the controller needs to be moded. I actually bought a controller from the guy that sells the ground station so I didn't have to alter my firehawk controller, I flew out 5miles the other day at 100ft so 10miles round trip, it has 3 watt amps in it you can hook iPad to it blah blah blah, really cool though, I haven't flown it much with the antennas that are built into the case because the cool part is you can switch antennas supper easy so right now I'm using 2 19dbi panels that I use a cable and hook them to the ground station, I also just ordered some I think they. Are 18 dbi Omni antennas that I'm mounting Ronny roof and I'll just screw the cables to the ground station. By far I think the ground station is better then controller mod because you can just keep switching antennas based on the flying you are doing. Also the guy at the titan ground station company is beyond helpful he helps me all the time just with any questions I have about drones in general. To sum it up get the ground station you will love it
Anthony

Reactions: JakeMaxxUAV

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj