Drone vs drone...!

We all heard about the disappearing bees after wifi was invented, now here's some real proof in front of our eyes. We were being told that the bees were losing their way home with the interference and getting lost or attracted to other things that use wifi. Personally, I think that the ol' bait and switch is going on with the guv, people know it's wifi related but these African Killer Bee's could make some killer soup. So here's an entire hive of bees looking to get into their new flying home... Can you pass the honey :eek:
Declining Bee Populations Pose A Threat to Global Agriculture by Elizabeth Grossman: Yale Environment 360

I spent all morning retrofitting IOS, reinstalling apps and recovering flight records. Then I took her up for some test flights, and for the second time in two weeks I encountered a swarm of bees - this time it was a massive swarm of huge drones. Looking at the video I flew into the swarm at around 200 feet, and they followed me down right to the ground, and only dispersed when I powered down.

Made a real mess of my quad, which made a bigger mess of the drones....

It is the middle of Spring here, so lots of bees about. Any entomologist want to venture why bees should be so attracted by the quads?

View attachment 32052
It's the "Mummy" effect! :)

Man, you just sat there and endured the death of a thousand stings! Why didn't you make a run for it?

I'd be curious to know whether those were the dreaded "African Killer Bees" we hear so much about. Heck, they go after anything that moves and they go with a vengeance.

I'd be curious to know whether those were the dreaded "African Killer Bees" we hear so much about. Heck, they go after anything that moves and they go with a vengeance.

These were drones (see pic below).

They are very large male bees whose only purpose is to mate with the queen! They don't have stings, so it is unlikely that they were actually attacking the quad.

The so-called African killer be is in fact smaller than regular honey bees, but they are very sensitive to being disturbed. They are very aggressive and attack in large numbers.

drone-bee.jpg

Reactions: StumbleBee
That's crazy. I can only imagine how many times your drone was stung.

Finally! How many times have you gotten stung by a bee and wished you could kill it? You just got that sweet revenge!

EDIT: The guy above me totally took away hopes for revenge.

That's crazy! Glad you got it landed with no issues other than the mess Ugh!

But... but.... I just said, they don't have stings!

Happend to me with my P2V+ last year. Though I only had a few, it looks like you really got hit.

When looking to start a new hive and potential queen will leave and take some of the hive with it. She will fly up high into the air to try to out run some of the boys. This make sure that the weaker bees cannot mate with her.

Now for the speculation: It could be that these bees hear your UAS and think it is one of the new hive mating swarms, they may be looking to get in on the action.

I spent all morning retrofitting IOS, reinstalling apps and recovering flight records. Then I took her up for some test flights, and for the second time in two weeks I encountered a swarm of bees - this time it was a massive swarm of huge drones. Looking at the video I flew into the swarm at around 200 feet, and they followed me down right to the ground, and only dispersed when I powered down.

Made a real mess of my quad, which made a bigger mess of the drones....

It is the middle of Spring here, so lots of bees about. Any entomologist want to venture why bees should be so attracted by the quads?

View attachment 32052

South Africa
I would assume they are Africanized Bees AKA Killer Bees, In the States here they have been known to go after people just mowing the lawn or making noise in general.

South Africa
I would assume they are Africanized Bees AKA Killer Bees, In the States here they have been known to go after people just mowing the lawn or making noise in general.
As I described earlier in the thread, so-called killer bees do indeed behave as you suggest. However, in my case the were large drone bees.

....Now for the speculation: It could be that these bees hear your UAS and think it is one of the new hive mating swarms, they may be looking to get in on the action.

I think you are spot on. I found the following quote on Bush Bees, Bee Basics, life cycle of bees, natural beekeeping, beekeeping, Michael Bush

" After a week or so the drones start flying and finding their way around. After about two weeks they are regularly flying to DCAs (Drone Congregation Areas) in the early afternoon and stay until evening. These are areas where drones congregate and where the queens go to mate. " (emphasis mine)

Upon reflection I realised I have only encountered swarming bees in the afternoons. Yesterday morning and earlier today I went to two different parks close by and flew 3 batteries each time - no bees. I have just completed an afternoon (4pm) sortie and met up with another large swarm.

Finally! How many times have you gotten stung by a bee and wished you could kill it? You just got that sweet revenge!

EDIT: The guy above me totally took away hopes for revenge.
Honey bees can only sting once. Yellow Jackets and Hornets can sting multiple times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers