Drone tracker ideas

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've been thinking about it for a while, that so many of us have set our drones out, got scared they would not come back, or even lost our drones and wished we had a tracker on it.

I would love for this tread to serve as information and ideas on different trackers that we can use at a reasonable price and the pros and cons.

Also would love to hear from people that have trackers on their drones and give us some feedback / pics etc.

I personally want to get one before I need one, which would then be too late.

Let's see what we can come up with!

Okay, here's my two cents worth. I've bought a couple of TK102's on eBay for around $30 each, although they are cheaper now. Each came with two batteries, two battery doors, one has a built in magnet for placing in on a metal panel in a car or something similar. I purchased a SIM card at a mobile phone store, put on $20 or so and I'm good for awhile. I bought a $10 holder that mounts between the landing skids and it will never get knocked out of there because of the tight fit. As far as function, it's saved my FC40 a couple of times, fortunately I've never needed it with the P3P. To find its location, just dial the phone number and hang up when it connects. It will then send a text message and link to google maps with the location. I wish I had bought one for my first FC40 that bolted straight North never to be seen again. The only downside is you do need a cell signal for it to contact you. It's cheap insurance, and even if your quad ends up 40 miles away, as long as there's cellular service, you're good.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Okay, here's my two cents worth. I've bought a couple of TK102's on eBay for around $30 each, although they are cheaper now. Each came with two batteries, two battery doors, one has a built in magnet for placing in on a metal panel in a car or something similar. I purchased a SIM card at a mobile phone store, put on $20 or so and I'm good for awhile. I bought a $10 holder that mounts between the landing skids and it will never get knocked out of there because of the tight fit. As far as function, it's saved my FC40 a couple of times, fortunately I've never needed it with the P3P. To find its location, just dial the phone number and hang up when it connects. It will then send a text message and link to google maps with the location. I wish I had bought one for my first FC40 that bolted straight North never to be seen again. The only downside is you do need a cell signal for it to contact you. It's cheap insurance, and even if your quad ends up 40 miles away, as long as there's cellular service, you're good.

How long does the battery last before you have to recharge it? This sounds like a good cheap unit

I have gone more than a week, with several flights and the battery was still almost fully charged. I do pull the battery between flights. I don't think there's much draw, even when pinging it. If you were to lose your quad, the one text would serve to fix the location. The battery is good for several days in standby.
Also, you can set it up so you can listen in to the area with the built in mic, although I cant imagine how that would be important in this application.

The cheap £12 TK102 does live tracking too. So you can track it instantly on a map. Has worked flawlessy for me. I think its 2g only though, which is perfect for the UK. I thing the USA is switching off 2g?

I bought this :

Anti-lost GPS Aircraft Flight Control Tracker Black Box For DJI Phantom 3 Drone | eBay

p.jpg

2G but again ... I live in location that has 2, 3 and 4G ... no problem.

Nigel

If you live in the US, I would avoid 2G devices. Those services are being phased out. AT&T's 2G service was scheduled to end on January 1st of this year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4