Drone Tilts Noticeably when Panning

THH

Reaction score
I've got a P3 Advanced. One of my guys was out with it late this afternoon and texted me, "Drone tilts noticeably when panning." Is that something we can adjust or do I need to send it in to have it serviced? Tx

Got a video so we can see what you're describing? Did you crash this Phantom and/or are you aware of any possible damage?

To my knowledge we haven't had any damage/crash with this one. I appreciate your reply. I'm away for the next few days, so I'll put some media up next week. Thanks so much.

Got a video so we can see what you're describing? Did you crash this Phantom and/or are you aware of any possible damage?
That and try atti (P4) if it does not tilt it may be the gps mode fighting the wind to hold position.

Does it roll left and right like this? In this clip it was in RTH mode and I didn't touch the sticks. There was no wind either. I sent mine in for crack repairs and they replaced it with a different bird and now it's doing this. I haven't found a solution yet. I'm trying to avoid sending it back again.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Could it simply be FPV/Follow switch?

No it's not that. I've had that on follow before and the movement is more severe and it's when you apply yaw. Mine was doing it in RTH mode with no stick inputs and very little to no wind. @THH sorry for hijacking your thread, but our problems sound similar and perhaps we can both find a solution here.

Does it roll left and right like this? In this clip it was in RTH mode and I didn't touch the sticks. There was no wind either. I sent mine in for crack repairs and they replaced it with a different bird and now it's doing this. I haven't found a solution yet. I'm trying to avoid sending it back again.

My P3P was acting similar. Tried all the IMU and gimbal calibrations - no help. Finally sent it to hunch - he said it had a bad gimbal circuit board - replaced it and it works fine now.

My P3P was acting similar. Tried all the IMU and gimbal calibrations - no help. Finally sent it to hunch - he said it had a bad gimbal circuit board - replaced it and it works fine now.

Thanks Whiskey...that makes sense...it seems the gimbal has a mind of its own. I tried all the calibrations also. I guess I'll have to send it back to DJI again...it's still under warranty.

Calibrate the Compass, Gimbal, Gimbal Thumb Wheel, and the R/C Sticks.

Also can try deleting the GO app completely and reinstall it, and then do calibrations of course.

Last edited:
Thanks Frank...I will try all of that and report back.

If you feel like you are at a point in having to send your A/C in for repair, the above mentioned is not hurt to to try before hand. I might even reset the wire harness plug on the front of the VPS that runs the camera and gimbal.

Was there any changes made prior to this issue taking place, or did it just begin to happen out of nowhere?

If you feel like you are at a point in having to send your A/C in for repair, the above mentioned is not hurt to to try before hand. I might even reset the wire harness plug on the front of the VPS that runs the camera and gimbal.

Was there any changes made prior to this issue taking place, or did it just begin to happen out of nowhere?

It's a replacement for one that I sent to DJI for crack repair. I don't know why they replaced it instead of repair. It has always done it from the first flight, after setting it up and doing all of the calibrations. I had also thought of re-seating the cables, but haven't tried that yet. I'll let you know and thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks Whiskey...that makes sense...it seems the gimbal has a mind of its own. I tried all the calibrations also. I guess I'll have to send it back to DJI again...it's still under warranty.
You can search for "drifting horizon" and find probably 200 possibly related posts. Maybe in there you can find something helpful for your situation. Good luck sir!

It's a replacement for one that I sent to DJI for crack repair. I don't know why they replaced it instead of repair. It has always done it from the first flight, after setting it up and doing all of the calibrations. I had also thought of re-seating the cables, but haven't tried that yet. I'll let you know and thanks for your suggestions.

What they're doing is based on return time. Their system if managed properly should work well for everyone. However, I personally do not want any part of a refurb'd A/C due to not knowing it's history. I do not abuse my A/C in any manner so I would always want my own A/C then someone elses. If I knew the A/C never had any contact with moisture or water I could better tolerate a refurb. I'm afraid I would have to remove the upper cover and inspect for past neglect.

Back to your current issue.
Something that should let you know if this is a Corrupted App issue, and if the App would need reinstalled would be to place the A/C in "FPV mode" instead of the common "Follow mode". The reason for this is this should keep the gimbal from drifting. The camera should stay locked in a "0" (zero) position while in flight. As we know with the "Follow mode" it allows the camera to work more off of the Yaw behavior. So...if the drifting issue stops when entered into "FPV mode", that should tell us the App has issues and should be addressed. If the problem is still there, it's mechanical and possibly a connection or...?

Hi, this is the shooter speaking. Sorry for the delay. Here's some footage I shot a few days ago in Napa:
The footage starts off level, but at 25 seconds when I pan to the right, the horizon starts to tilt. When I let go of the controls it levels itself after a few seconds. I then do a 360° pan and it's tilted most of the time. At 1:10 I pan to the left and it tilts the other direction. Our Phantom 3 Standard didn't do this.

Just noticed you can even see it in YouTube's thumbnail.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers