Drone Side Antenna Mods

Reaction score
Why is there not much talk about drone side antenna mods? It has to send the video signal down so shouldn't we upgrade those antennas too?

There is a fair amount of discussion on this. The common phrase is "birdside mod" or "bird side mod." But improving the video signal can also be done by modding the controller. Improving the 2.4 signal reception for the controller will result in a better video (or FPV) signal. An analogy is placing a hearing aid in your ear. The soundwave's source is the same strength, but it's amplified at the receiving end.

And then, of course, you can further increase FPV range with a bird side mod.

Hope this helps.

My thought was if you put a better antenna on the bird side to broadcast the 2.4ghz out, the controller would have an easier time picking it up. Same with the bird side 5.8ghz, but of course that would be to make the bird receiver the signal better. Not the case? I'm sensing a "meh" attitude toward these bird side antenna mods.

Yes. If you put a better antenna on the bird side to broadcast the 2.4 ghz out, the controller would have an easier time picking it up. That's correct.

But there is another option. Maybe you missed it in my post above...?

If you put a better antenna on the control side to receive the 2.4 ghz in, the controller would also have an easier time picking it up.

Do you see...?

I asked same question and was boo'd ..... gave up asking.

Nigel

Yeh but wouldn't modding both sides double or to some degree do better than what just modding the controller would do? My thought is that if I'm broadcasting a signal that can only go 500ft, I can have the best controller antenna in the world but if I'm 600ft away it can't pick it up? I have little knowledge of radio waves so this is just my thinking.

Yes, improving the birdside antennas gain would result in better comms, but it is not practical. Any gain antennas would still need to be omnidirectional, as the bird is turning, etc, but there is little room if any to make such a mod. Like others, I have thought about this many times. Note that I am an Advanced class amateur radio operator, and love building all kinds of antennas.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

There are light weight mods available .... the fpv boys are the ones who know about all this. I have been shown gear that adds little weight and can boost the aircraft system - but in reality I don't need it if I stay as I want in the 1000m range.

Any gear added needs power if it boosts. Where do you get the power ? question that is first on the list ....

In the end I decided for same weight consideration - I would fit a lost model system ....

Nigel

Yes, modding both sides would do better. That's correct too.

First of all, you should have a fair understanding of how the 2.4 signal works. Please read and digest this post:

Basic Amplifier Question

In summary, the 2.4 signal is a two way signal.

Next, think about directional antennas. Since directional antennas send the strength of the RF signal in a relatively narrow direction, where would you want that directional antenna? Do you want it on the bird - while the AC is flying up and down, left and right, far and near? Does that make sense? Or maybe it makes more sense to put it on the controller... where you can instantly manually aim it exactly at the bird? Think about it.

That's why it makes more sense to mod the controller first. Then, if you're still interested in increasing range, you might consider a bird side mod.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Well I wasn't saying put a directional antenna on the bird, of course that wouldn't make sense. What kind of antennas are on the bird stock?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The 2.4s are directional but there's two of them and they point in opposite directions and it's a wide beam, so together they behave similar to omni.

The 5.8s are omni, but they only receive.

Got ya, I'm surrounded by trees so I can only really go up, when I go for horizontal distance it gets behind the trees and that's it. I ordered the DBS mod so let's hope I'm happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Why is there not much talk about drone side antenna mods? It has to send the video signal down so shouldn't we upgrade those antennas too?
Thought you might like this. (If you get a DBS for your RC first).
24Bazooka-1_1024x1024.jpg

Reactions: KongWerks
You'd be wise to think in advance about how you're going to run the cable and also about how you want to orient the antenna. Once you figure that out, you can install them by drilling into the upper landing gear, or you can use something like this: Phantom 3 battery holder/tray - FPVLR

You can make the part shown above with a sheet of plastic and a dremel tool. I believe maxxuav also sells them. Just be sure it fits your AC or be sure you have a dremel.

where to place these antennas? it would look awful i think if they are placed on the landing gear of the bird..

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yes the landing gear, how awful could it look at 400' and 15,000' down range. In other words, you're only going to notice them during takeoff and landing.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31