Drone School vs. Free on-line materials.

Reaction score
As with many of you, I want to fly my UAV commercially. For those of you that have a Remote Pilot License, would you recommend an on-line drone school, and if so which one, or can you get enough out of the free materials found on-line, or from a source like Sarah Nilsson. I am more of a visual learner and not super hyped about tons of reading, such as the 87 page Remote Pilot Study Guide. Thoughts?

If you're a visual learner, you may do well to use an online drone school, as most have detailed videos.

However, the 87-page Remote Pilot Study Guide is a fairly easy read and is well put together. With a little bit of elbow grease, you can study for the test for free and pass relatively easy.

Here's how I studied (and passed):
  1. Read 87-page Remote Pilot Study Guide
  2. Learn how to read the Testing Supplement (especially the Legend)
  3. Take the 40 question sample test from the FAA and study the solutions
  4. Use 3DR's free resources (105 question test and study guides)
  5. Find resources online about sectional charts, airspace, and weather
  6. Check out the PHAK and Part 107 Circular for extra reading/info
The hardest part will be learning how to read sectional charts, airspace, and weather if you don't have any aviation experience, so make sure to put extra time on those areas!

The hardest part will be learning how to read sectional charts, airspace, and weather if you don't have any aviation experience, so make sure to put extra time on those areas!
You can watch plenty of youtubes on this part. Focus on above, do practice tests, and you will pass. I got 93 and I was not pilot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31