Drone rotating to the right while hovering

Reaction score
It's not much but it rotates to the right a little without touching the controls. Like I said it's not much, nor fast. Maybe an unbalanced prop or wind?

Calibrate the compass.

Ok... It said it was fine. 16-18 the whole time. Although I was flying near a school (nobody around) with lots of metal. I was 50' from any metal during take off. How far is it recommend to stay away from metal after take off? Say you see a power line up ahead. Should I be 20' above it or 100'?

Ok... It said it was fine. 16-18 the whole time. Although I was flying near a school (nobody around) with lots of metal. I was 50' from any metal during take off. How far is it recommend to stay away from metal after take off? Say you see a power line up ahead. Should I be 20' above it or 100'?
16 to 18 would be number of GPS satellites, not the same as the compass. If compass calibration is not done correctly it sometimes will rotate slowly in a circle, people have been calling this the toilet bowl effect. It happens when GPS tells Phantom to compensate and adjust motors to hold its position the compass is showing the Phantom facing the wrong direction so it compensates by adjusting the wrong motors and it keeps doing this causing it to rotate slowly in a circle. Best thing to do is recalibrate the compass away from any metal (including keys in your pocket, etc.). Flying near metal usually is not the cause of toilet bowl effect (although it could happen). If compass cal is close but not perfect it will show compass cal as being ok. Toilet bowl effect indicates bad compass cal, you should immediately land and redo compass cal.

16 to 18 would be number of GPS satellites, not the same as the compass. If compass calibration is not done correctly it sometimes will rotate slowly in a circle, people have been calling this the toilet bowl effect. It happens when GPS tells Phantom to compensate and adjust motors to hold its position the compass is showing the Phantom facing the wrong direction so it compensates by adjusting the wrong motors and it keeps doing this causing it to rotate slowly in a circle. Best thing to do is recalibrate the compass away from any metal (including keys in your pocket, etc.). Flying near metal usually is not the cause of toilet bowl effect (although it could happen). If compass cal is close but not perfect it will show compass cal as being ok. Toilet bowl effect indicates bad compass cal, you should immediately land and redo compass cal.
I did not calibrate today(new location). Last time I calibrated was in a field on my farm. I'll try the RC first, the calibrate my drone if it still does it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie