Drone Reported To Follow Student Walking Home - Bad press we don't need

I am sure that everyone that sees a drone in the air thinks it is following them. The news reporting likes to make big deals of everything. Whenever I walk down the street, I don't
feel the people walking the same direction behind me are stalking me. That news piece doesn't give any useful info.

I'm just wondering what the police are investigating. Certainly following someone with a drone is not the best thing to do but I don't see anything illegal about it. Creepy yes. Illegal, no. I followed some kayakers down a river. Granted I was at around 200' and well to the side of the river as not to bother their solitude.

There is no "good" press. It's only stuff that makes people angry, uncomfortable, and upset. Otherwise if news was all sunshine and rainbows people wouldn't watch it.

"Somebody find me a picture of Spider-Man doing something awful! We've got to sell more papers!"

Could be equated to- "find me another drone story! Anything! There's got to be a peeping tom somewhere in the world!"

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Unfortunately any time you put the word "Drone" in print it becomes a news worthy item because the media has perpetuated the public paranoia... or maybe exploited it is a better way to put it.

The drone operator could have been doing almost anything and the kids saw it. Went home, told parents they saw a drone and now it's a stalker following children home. Hopefully they can talk to the drone operator and he can show them from his video he was not following anyone. Honestly most people can't even say for sure which way the camera is aimed from more than about 50' or so from the ground.

LOL.

So you're the guy sitting in the stands at a football game, that is convinced - when the teams go into a huddle, they are talking about you!
I hope not. I not into all that gay stuff. But perhaps they are doing stuff under there they dont want me to see?

If you want to know more about paranoid people you should follow one around................ ;)

Like Kim .com? Joey Drone? huh.

I'm just wondering what the police are investigating. Certainly following someone with a drone is not the best thing to do but I don't see anything illegal about it. Creepy yes. Illegal, no. I followed some kayakers down a river. Granted I was at around 200' and well to the side of the river as not to bother their solitude.
They were elementary school children. If they were my kids, yes, I would want the police to investigate. I realize it is probably nothing, but with children it is always best to use and abundance of caution, IMO.

So a drone flew over some kids walking down the sidewalk and the owner is pegged as a pedophile. F--- this mentality and the constant state of fear it creates. Also the police have no reason to investigate anything, no crime was committed.

Last edited:
I'm, mQUOTE="Droner412, post: 701289, member: 53939"]So a drone flew over some kids walking down the sidewalk and the owner is pegged as a pedophile. F--- this mentality and the constant state of fear it creates. Also the police have no reason to investigate anything, no crime was committed.[/QUOTE]
I'm going with GoodnNuff on this one. With children, you never take the chance. In this age, it's not just what you do but what it appears you are doing. Don't put yourself in that position.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I agree with the sentiment of never too careful these days and can't see it getting better, sadly.

Similar story a few months ago... a parent following his/her own child/children.
Someday this may be a 'norm'.

I would rather be the one that over acted than the one that let it go without consideration. These are our children. Years ago while running service in my truck, I was passing a school as it was letting out and young kids were walking home. There was a young girl and boy walking down the walk. A van pulled up beside them saying something. They kept shaking their head No but he kept at it. They were trying to get away. He still kept at the young couple. I finally blocked his path, rolled down my window to question him. He took off like a bat outta hell. Glad I did. And I'll do it again if the need comes to play. You just don't watch out for your children. You watch out for all children.

I swear there is a satellite following me... And there's this white van I see from time to time...

I know. I have had to stop talking on the phone before when I've had black helicopters overhead while driving and especially the darned black suburbans with the blacked out windows at the 4 way stop. Not to mention that sneaky bastard "selling" newspapers at the red light. Yeah Right, like I'd fall for that.........

I even had a call hang up one time on my new cell phone after switching providers...creepy man.

Think of the Children..........

So a drone flew over some kids walking down the sidewalk and the owner is pegged as a pedophile. F--- this mentality and the constant state of fear it creates. Also the police have no reason to investigate anything, no crime was committed.
If someone actually was following children.....well?

On the flip side - if you don't want to be pegged a pedophile, don't fly around children who you do not know. It could be misconstrued that you were following the children and that YOU need to be watched.

I think it is interesting how we always think the worst. And we here in this forum are drone pilots. Could it be that a Father has a drone and is ensuring that his child gets home safely? What are the other possibilities this drone is doing? A child said he/she is being bullied on the way home? Drone's can be used not only for hobbyists but for good too. This is what we need to put out there. Just saying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31