Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Drone Regulations

Discussion in 'News' started by drtre6, Jun 15, 2015.

1. drtre6

2. JBG

JBG

3. tcope

There is a BIG difference in the Florida laws. Florida law restricts law enforcement use of drones. It then was added to restriction of using a drone to photo inside of a home, something that is already illegal.

4. tcope

Thus law also simply applies current laws to drones.. which they already do. So this law changes nothing. Go about your flying as normal, just don't lower your drone to film onto someone's house.

5. JBG

JBG

The Florida law is ridiculous and the attorney's for both sides probably (will) be happy to litigate this..

The new law expands the current limits on drones by banning any person, state agency, or political subdivision from using unmanned aircraft equipped with imaging devices “to record an image of privately owned or occupied real property or of the owner, tenant, or occupant of such property with the intent to conduct surveillance on the individual or property captured in the image in violation of such person’s reasonable expectation of privacy without his or her written consent.”

So now my neighbor can sue me if I take a photo/video if I fly over my home and happen to capture his/her property....... I see the attorney's loving this....

6. JBG

JBG

Let me also note that I am not overly concerned about this, but these types of laws are over reaching... We already have privacy laws in place.

7. snerd

Did you have "intent to conduct surveillance on the individual or property captured in the image"?! If not, it's incidental, not intentional. I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

#7 snerd, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    JBG likes this.
  8. JBG

JBG

9. tcope

Did this person have an expectation of privacy? If not, then the law does not apply. Even without this law it was illegal to film someone without their content if they had a reasonable expectation of privacy.

JBG likes this.
  10. drtre6

It's crap. Might as well make a law on cameras and video cameras cause you can just walk up to someone's window or walk in their backyard and take a picture. We're 100s of ft in the air, you can't get zoomed in pictures that high in the sky to spy on people's privacy