Drone registry law illegal?

Haha is what I say.

yep are country is all screwed up

Until it is litigated it is the law of the land. Honestly, 5 bucks to get one registration number you then use on ALL your model aircraft is not really a big deal. I understand privacy concerns but there are plenty of other things you need to register to use as well.

Personally I feel it is a non-issue.

Until it is litigated it is the law of the land. Honestly, 5 bucks to get one registration number you then use on ALL your model aircraft is not really a big deal. I understand privacy concerns but there are plenty of other things you need to register to use as well.

Personally I feel it is a non-issue.

It isn't about the money. Is that the only thing that matters to you? The issue is we have a government that doesn't even follow its own laws.

The FAA broke the law.

In general, If I or you mishandled classified information like Hillary DID, we would both be put in JAIL!

If the government won't follow the rule of law, then why is anyone else supposed to? The answer is, people stop respecting laws. They see laws as unjust and just do what they can get away with...

That IS the issue! Laws are enacted in congress, not in the courts, and not at some bureaucratic agency. The government was setup the way it was with 3 individual branches for a reason. To have a system of checks and balances, to keep the government form getting too powerful, and oppressive.

People can just keep their heads in the sand, and then one day wake up to see their freedoms and liberties gone.

This is just one symptom of a very serious disease in America today.

FAA regulations are not laws.

FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 was Congress giving authority and directives to the FAA as public law 112-95. Section 336 of this act of congress says that the FAA can't make any rules or regulations for recreational model aircraft other than what is listed in section 336.

So, in 2012, Congress told the FAA they can't make further rules against model aircraft (within the given conditions of 336), but the FAA did anyway.

Also, to the extent that Congress has given the FAA the power to manage the airspace, they can be considered law, or at least have enough backing to be considered authoritative.

You're right, they aren't laws but they have the same force.

Supreme Court to let lower ruling stand on Chesapeake Bay regulations | Ag Professional
So, in 2012, Congress told the FAA they can't make further rules against model aircraft (within the given conditions of 336), but the FAA did anyway.

And in that same act it says: "establish standards and requirements for the operator and pilot of a civil unmanned aircraft system, including standards and requirements for registration and licensing;"

Recreational use of UAVs–in FAA speak–falls into the civil category.

I'm not holding my breath. One of the suits that is taking this on doesn't attack the legality of the rule, it simply attacks the way it was instituted. Does anyone have a link to John Taylor's court filing? I'd like to read his argument.

S

Reactions: Sabalon
I understand that words matter. In that regard my earlier post may have been imprecise in calling the regulation a law. Regardless, if you fly without registering you are risking fines up to $27,500.00. The legality of this regulation is really only an issue because the FAA did not post the proposal for a long enough period of time based on their own guidelines. That, however, is probably not going to change things.

Lastly, and although I am a small government kind of guy, I think we should welcome this regulation. And that is simply because it will help to make most quad pilots more aware of common sense operating procedures and it will help the public to feel safer. These are good things for our hobby.

Yawn, this gets old....

Law: "the system of rules that a particular country or community recognizes as regulating the actions of its members and may enforce by the imposition of penalties."

The FAA has the authority of Congress to regulate airspace. As mentioned below, feel free not to call it a "law" and call it a regulation. Same effect so you'd only be arguing semantics.

Reactions: Sagebrush

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20