Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Drone registration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by isle, Oct 21, 2015.

1. isle

Transportation Secretary Foxx in his press conference used off road vehicle as example, if you only use on your property vehicle does not need to be registered but if you use on public by ways it does. Wonder if that will apply to drones, for example the farmer checking his crops or someone who has a large property no where near airport that just flies for fun, should be interesting how this pans out.

2. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

My guess (and nothing more) is that it will be about the vehicle and it's "Ability". If it can't fly over 400' high or more than a few hundred feet out and only weights a lb I don't see any need for anything more. It just can't get into NAS where manned aircraft are anyway.

Keep in mind even a farmer flying over his crop with a Phatom3 could have a fly away situation where the aircraft flew higher and or farther than expected.

3. Bryce

yeah... in North Dakota that would really suck.

John N Kronyak likes this.
  4. buford

Well, its out now. All kids who get drones for Christmas better register or go to prison.

John N Kronyak likes this.
  5. green0630

Yes, the drone phobia caused by the media caused the FAA to regulate law biding UAV operators and does nothing about the very few that fly with no respect for laws or saftey. Why would this minority of UAV ownes regester themselves with the FAA? The fines are for after the jackass flies his drone into a sporting event, does nothing to stop him from doing it. The operator was stupid before he owned the UAV, the operator is stupid flying the UAV and will be stupid after he causes some one getting hurt and he will not be fined because it was an illegal unregistered person flying an anonymous UAV.

6. regdawg

Seriously right? Also, unless your in the know....grandma and grandpa might not know about this new law and buy their grandchildren drones for christmas. Oh by the way...you need to register your toy with the FAA, yes the FAA, or you could get fined. Many parents will just say forget it and not let their kids play with it. Wonder if this will hit the sales pocket of these companies now.

7. buford

I'm sure it will, if it hasn't already. I sent my first drone to my son since I never flew it. He's probably pissed at me.....

8. Skywalker

Once it's in effect, vendors will likely be required to tell customers about the requirements.

9. buford

Yeah, that'll be a big selling point. "Oh and by the way, you have to register it with the FAA, or you could go to prison. Now will that be cash or charge?"

10. regdawg

Hard to believe that Target, Wal-mart, Amazon, Ebay, etc. will have disclaimers up anytime soon. What about the people that already bought drones and probably seeing this on the nightly news? LOL

11. retrodog

Sort of the same way cars got their start. No licensing or regulations in the beginning, but problems and abuse made it necessary.

I just got my P3S last week and then heard about this today. Yay, me.

12. John N Kronyak

A
    nd if it hits the manufactures hard enough there will be no spare parts or updates. Enjoy yours that you already have.

13. John N Kronyak

Ya' know basically it's just ridiculous. If you want to register, register. If you don't, don't. I won't because it's another ridiculous reg. I live in a very rural area so it doesn't really matter. there's no one out here to enforce anything. It's a luxury. And yes...ridiculous is the key word. LOL

14. fordruid

How about "Free registration with every purchase, this will help you (customer) recover your Quadcopter if you lose it" LOL

15. telecam

I sent my registration request 3 hrs ago, never got email confirmation...

16. FASTFJR

Typical, for what ever reason I can get it to go to "Continue To Check Out" Everything is filled in, no errors just doesn't want to continue

17. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

If the farmer was flying his drone IN his crops, he may be able to make a case for use on private property. As soon as he flies a reasonable height above his crops, he is in what is considered "navigable airspace" and is subject to NAS regulations. What defines a "reasonable height above" and "navigable airspace" are likely to be a matter of some debate for some time.

Also note that the farmer is using the drone for commercial benefit and therefore would need to operate it under the FAA's commercial requirements.

18. buford

I don't know if this will work for you, but it did for me. I was in the same boat. Created an account, but couldn't go any farther. When I hit the proceed to checkout button, it just sat. I even hit it, and walked away for 2 hrs, thinking it might just be slow. It wasn't. So I used another email address I have. Used the same name, same address, everything the same, but the email. I punched the proceed to checkout button, and it worked. So now I have two accounts on the faa sight.

Dexter1119 likes this.
  19. Dexter1119

Worked for me too just did it. Thanks!

20. buford

Glad to be of help