Drone randomly cut out mid flight, crashed and ruined body, what happened?

Reaction score
Hi, yesterday I bought a dji phantom 2 vision plus from a friend, it was my first flight on a full battery and everything was calibrated when an alarm sounded and it span out of control, and smashed into the ground, it didn't have a sim but I managed to get a screenshot of its last moments. Don't know if it will help?
127f0a77220d60afcfb8b6bbe819d66e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Did you have the left control stick fully down? if you did that will cut off the motors entirely due to CSC, calabrated stick command)

Pull the crash logs from the dji folder in your phone assuming its android and post them here so i can see if the controller interpreted it as a csc command, its imperative that you calibrate controllers (because the phantom may have read it fully down..) and IMU before any operations using the dji software. Also, make sure your not within 1.8 miles of an airport or no fly zones, if you are, the p2 will say system error and land/cut motors.

DJI really needs to fix the single CSC command of the left throttle stick fully down shut off command.. its been causing SO many crashes.

Pull the crash logs from the dji folder in your phone assuming its android and post them here so i can see if the controller interpreted it as a csc command, its imperative that you calibrate controllers (because the phantom may have read it fully down..) and IMU before any operations using the dji software. Also, make sure your not within 1.8 miles of an airport or no fly zones, if you are, the p2 will say system error and land/cut motors.

DJI really needs to fix the single CSC command of the left throttle stick fully down shut off command.. its been causing SO many crashes.

See sticky at top of the General Discussion forum for meaning of CSC.

I've never heard of this. I am sure you're confused.

It will be hard to diagnose this without a log of some sort. Could be bad battery, loose prop, bad motor, bad solder, lots of things.

OP - sorry for your loss but welcome to the site!

Last edited:
Android phones keep a log folder in the phone in a directory of the phone somewhere, its how i diagnosed one of my crashes :). just plug it in and look for folders with "DJI" name in front of them.

I don't have an android phone, is their any other way I can get the folders with something else? I checked and I'm no where near a no fly zone, thanks :).

I do not know with iphones, the way software is done on IOS is much different and alot more strict, so access to folders is difficult at best to go through..now i am curious. In regards to CSC, theirs no way to tell otherwise, but its the most probable cause.. this happened to me, so i have modded my controller with a snap plastic piece that unclips when im ready to land, however it stays in place while I am flying, because its WAY to easy to just make a full quick descend while avoiding a tree or something.. 5 second FLYS by in those moments..

In regards to a crashed body, the frames are not that much and it is easier then one thinks about swapping guts to a new shell. if you still get gps lock, your lucky because your gps puck survived.

60 something bucks
Genuine DJI Phantom 2 Vision Part P2V-08 Body Shell (New Version) -US stock

Oh aha thanks, I might try that when I fix mine. Apparently it says ( Internet) to access them from the computer software so I'm doing that now, will keep you notified;).

That usually works with the Phantom 3's, however i don't think the two's keep crash logs in them, if they do please show me how you got to them :)

Calibrate before every flight, and if you live in the USA, be sure to register you and your drone.

im sorry to hear what happened, and if you need any help ill be more then happy to assist ya if you need anything, just send me a convo :).

Does it for me. what p2 version are you running? and if you want a video to show for it, it can be furnished :). this is how i hand catch my drone. grab it, hold stick down, motors cut. it will do this airborn, and since the imu cant properly tell if its in a descent by inches, it defaults to it. landed on the ground not flying it will not do this.

EDIT:: i already called DJI and they confirmed with me this is a known issue and said their working to "fix" it. which i doubt. their the ones that told me about it in detail. Short easy answer, don't descend fully on the stick, theirs a known issue for it causing this scenario, but as another poster said, it could be other issues. we don't know, theirs no logs, however this is the closest to the issue i have come to. That was before i calibrated before every flight, hence why i suggested to OP to do this prior to every flight.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT:: i already called DJI and they confirmed with me this is a known issue and said their working to "fix" it....
Really? DJI told you they're working to "fix" a problem with a P2 aircraft? What I heard is that DJI was no longer supporting the P2 series.

Your posts in this thread fascinate me.

Really? DJI is going to "fix" a problem with a P2 aircraft? What I heard is that DJI was no longer supporting the P2 series.

Your posts in this thread fascinate me.

which is why i think its bull, i use to work at a call center with comcast as a t2 wireless RST, i'm assuming you had problems before and were told to switch out modems? yeah, they don't like to die, we were just told to have them replaced and of course being on the spot with an angry person on the phone, we pretty much told them what they wanted to hear or just whatever to get them off the phone..hated doing that to people hence why i stopped working their. :) no one person can represent an entire company properly, everyone has their little twisted ways of doing this, and people on phones are no different nor are they infallible to human emotion and frustration of being yelled at.

also, see my other threads where i added an e305 motor ESC setup while retaining the stock dji phantom lights, and don't forget my how to fix gimbal contributions on some threads here too..you might like those! OH! and the pink hydro dipped camo shell as well, that's a good one. OH! and did you know you can reprogram the DJI ESC, via the 4 contact points on their board?

with all that said, i should start building my own drones, the phantoms seem to have some interesting issues. These were good starter drones though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it for me. what p2 version are you running? and if you want a video to show for it, it can be furnished :). this is how i hand catch my drone. grab it, hold stick down, motors cut. it will do this airborn, and since the imu cant properly tell if its in a descent by inches, it defaults to it. landed on the ground not flying it will not do this.

EDIT:: i already called DJI and they confirmed with me this is a known issue and said their working to "fix" it. which i doubt. their the ones that told me about it in detail. Short easy answer, don't descend fully on the stick, theirs a known issue for it causing this scenario, but as another poster said, it could be other issues. we don't know, theirs no logs, however this is the closest to the issue i have come to. That was before i calibrated before every flight, hence why i suggested to OP to do this prior to every flight.
when you hand catch it senses that its not descending and cuts the motor. only thing that full left stick down can possibly cause is vrs, it will not cut the motors when its descending

I fixed the drone, and after some test flights i think it's the battery (about 90% sure) as one if my battery's says full charge but only about a minute later it just stops without warning and try's to land but cuts out :) thanks for all yer help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers