Drone racing like ‘a real-life video game’

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Story teaser below...

Forget package delivery. Drone owners have found a much more thrilling use for their radio-controlled flying machines: racing.
The hobby has soared in popularity over the last few months, with a rapid rise in the number of new tournaments across North America.
More than a hundred pilots converged in California last month for the United States’ first drone racing championship, and Canada is set to follow suit with a tourney in Collingwood on Friday.
Racing drones, unlike those flown by police, are small, weighing less than a kilogram, and can reach breakneck speeds — more than 100 km/h.
They’re controlled differently, too. Before a race starts, pilots don video goggles that let them see what the drone sees.
“The whole idea of putting on a set of goggles and flying this thing is like nothing else,” said Paul Dowling, the owner of Autobotix, a store that specializes in racing drones in Toronto.

SOURCE & VIDEO - http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/08/18/gamers-gear-up-for-drone-racing-weekend.html

Reactions: dirkclod
i've been flying 250 racers (one i built and a storm srd250) and all i can say is they are really, really fun to fly. its very different from a phantom since you fly all time in manual mode, but it helps you to improve the flying skills.

before flying the racers i only flew a couple times in atti, now im flying in atti 90% of the time :)

this is my favorite fpv vid. this guy is crazy. its a bigger sized 280 tho but the footage from the camera is so smooth. almost like it has a gimbal.

I tried out a 250 and really didn't like it. I didn't get the Phantom because I could fly it, I got it for Photography and Videography. I do admit it, it's fun and relaxing to fly the Phantom. The 250? Not so fun, and most certainly not relaxing. I just really didn't care for it. I'm all about slow & steady as opposed to fast & hard...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik