Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Drone racing like ‘a real-life video game’

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LuvMyTJ, Aug 18, 2015.

1. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Story teaser below...

Forget package delivery. Drone owners have found a much more thrilling use for their radio-controlled flying machines: racing.
    The hobby has soared in popularity over the last few months, with a rapid rise in the number of new tournaments across North America.
    More than a hundred pilots converged in California last month for the United States’ first drone racing championship, and Canada is set to follow suit with a tourney in Collingwood on Friday.
    Racing drones, unlike those flown by police, are small, weighing less than a kilogram, and can reach breakneck speeds — more than 100 km/h.
    They’re controlled differently, too. Before a race starts, pilots don video goggles that let them see what the drone sees.
    “The whole idea of putting on a set of goggles and flying this thing is like nothing else,” said Paul Dowling, the owner of Autobotix, a store that specializes in racing drones in Toronto.

SOURCE & VIDEO - http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/08/18/gamers-gear-up-for-drone-racing-weekend.html

BlackOpsTeamster and dirkclod like this.
  2. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

Dang !They look and sound like our mosquitoes :eek:

BlackOpsTeamster likes this.
  3. BlackOpsTeamster

A dronskeeto?
    [​IMG]
    LOL
    I know, I know....
    [​IMG]
    LMAO
    BOT

dirkclod likes this.
  4. chapsrlz

i've been flying 250 racers (one i built and a storm srd250) and all i can say is they are really, really fun to fly. its very different from a phantom since you fly all time in manual mode, but it helps you to improve the flying skills.

before flying the racers i only flew a couple times in atti, now im flying in atti 90% of the time :)

5. Zerone

Those little 250's look like a lot of fun. Although the way Charpu flies his QAV 250 makes it look far too easy.

BlackOpsTeamster likes this.
  6. Axidrain

this is my favorite fpv vid. this guy is crazy. its a bigger sized 280 tho but the footage from the camera is so smooth. almost like it has a gimbal.

7. Wizaerd

I tried out a 250 and really didn't like it. I didn't get the Phantom because I could fly it, I got it for Photography and Videography. I do admit it, it's fun and relaxing to fly the Phantom. The 250? Not so fun, and most certainly not relaxing. I just really didn't care for it. I'm all about slow & steady as opposed to fast & hard...