Drone price to fall thanks to Qualcomm Snapdragon 801

Reaction score
This is something that will be very good news for consumers!!

Qualcomm has come up with a neat plan to begin influencing the drone price standard as well as the approach that the general consumer has towards UAVs in general. Nowadays, the drone market is growing fast, but the problem with it is that most of the high-quality drones have enormous prices that are just not viable for the average early adopter or tech enthusiast. Although a drone price could be as low as $10, one would not get a tremendous amount of value for that amount of money. That is why Qualcomm wants to start and try to influence the standard drone price by making the components necessary for a really smart drone affordable and powerful.

Many of you are familiar with the Snapdragon 801 SoC mobile processor from devices like the Samsung Galaxy S5, OnePlus One, LG G3 and Moto X 2014. Apparently, Qualcomm wants to tap into the potential of the CPU and redesign it so that it is compatible with drone hardware. The modified Snapdragon 801 CPU would carry a revamped, entirely new Wi-Fi and Bluetooth engine processor, a powerful 4K content processor, a more power-efficient architecture, a 2.26 GHz clock speed and would feature support for real-time flight control systems, as well as the Global Navigation Sattelite System.

According to Qualcomm, the Snapdragon Flight, as the modified processor has been dubbed, will revolutionize the way in which we approach drone price standards, and not only. With this push into robotics and especially UAVs, Qualcomm is clearly demonstrating what its interests for the future are. Smartphones are so last season, aren’t they? The evolution of Qualcomm’s Snapdragon SoCs and the announcement of Snapdragon Flight mark an important milestone in development for the drone and robotics industries...........

Read more: Drone price to fall thanks to Qualcomm Snapdragon 801

I just cannot see DJI announcing the P4 or more likely - due to "implementation time - the P6 at $950! ( Edit: I was thinking aussie $! )

I remember back in the UK during the Natural Gas boom and finding oil in the North Sea.
Big announcements these new discoveries would lead to lower fuel cost and cheaper motoring.
Oh no they did not...... all prices went up and up and the government made up new taxes to grab the maximum it could screw out of the oil companies.
Silicone valley computer chips have got better, more powerful and smaller by the year
I dont think have got any less costly
Apple is the perfect example - they use cheap labour in China and whatever the cost of development - the components cost a very small part of the the selling price - giving huge profits that makes Apple among the biggest, richest companies on the planet.
Any cash savings offered by Qualcom will be taken by the serious $20million a time military drones and China's "toy" quad makers and the more up-market players like DJI will have another reason/excuse as to why selling prices remain high.
I hope I am wrong - but history is on my side.

Just my opinion based on history and economics!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31