Drone Police - they're getting deployed

Reaction score
Was out testing some settings on my P3P in the Phoenix area and the sheriff stopped by showing me this. We talked for a bit but he said law enforcement is getting spun up to deal with the increased drone activity. So I guess he was practicing on me. Had the registration, pilots license ( didn't need to but showed him anyway) and most of the voodoo.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforcement/media/LEO_guidance_card.pdf

The LEO card has been online for a few weeks, at least. Our local law enforcement in Illinois have been going to seminars specifically related to drone technology, mostly because Illinois has passed laws regulating how law enforcement are allowed (and not allowed) to use drones.

When I see the mouthy kids on this forum saying they will do this or that regardless of the law, I just sit back and let them squawk. Drone use is getting serious consideration in the legal world and soon it will be on par (responsibility wise) with driving a car.

Right now, law enforcement can ask you for drone ID, but they cannot make arrests based on drone use as they do not have the authority. What they have to do is report the drone activity to the FAA, who for now are fully responsible for enforcement of the NAS.

It won't be long before the FAA starts acting on reckless drone use, and I am sure they will do all they can to get publicity for it. I'm guessing we will start seeing the stories by spring.

Was out testing some settings on my P3P in the Phoenix area and the sheriff stopped by showing me this. We talked for a bit but he said law enforcement is getting spun up to deal with the increased drone activity. So I guess he was practicing on me. Had the registration, pilots license ( didn't need to but showed him anyway) and most of the voodoo.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforcement/media/LEO_guidance_card.pdf
Did he interrupt you for any reason other than you were flying your Phantom? I'm just curious if they are being trained to stop and question anyone without cause.

Did he interrupt you for any reason other than you were flying your Phantom? I'm just curious if they are being trained to stop and question anyone without cause.

The LEO card gives pretty broad latitude for questioning someone... If they are doing something unsafe or you suspect they are unauthorized. I guess you could ALWAYS suspect someone is unauthorized until you see proof they have registered their aircraft.

Before registration was a thing, I was questioned once by a sheriff because I was on abandoned land... but he just asked a few questions and then left me alone.

I don't know... now that I am registered - I hope I don't get "bugged" by law enforcement... but it makes me feel better knowing I have my registration info.

Attachments

• Untitled 3.txt
    29.5 KB · Views: 215
Negative OSO!! I was on State trust Land and he was out checking for permits. I had just brought the P3P in and he came over. He did the usual greetings and then ask for my registration, while I was getting it out of the case he was looking at the placard which he showed me after some conversation. The way he delivered it was not "Do you have a registration" but more like can I see your registration. Big difference there.

Reactions: koviatt
I guess you could ALWAYS suspect someone is unauthorized until you see proof they have registered their aircraft.

No one needs to identify themselves in any way unless they are being detained. They can only be detained if they are suspected of a crime. Just as LEO cannot suspect you are not, lets say, legal to be in the US and therefore require ID (there needs to be _reason_ for that assumption), I'd say that they don't have a right to ask for ID for the same reason and while you are flying.
According US Code, you'd need to show local law enforcement the registration certificate:

An operator of an aircraft shall make available for inspection a certificate of registration for the aircraft when requested by a United States Government, State, or local law enforcement officer.

But there is no mention of any requirement to show ID and I'm pretty sure rulings on the US Constitution would trump local and US Code.

So again, the LEO card states to do things if the person is suspected of flying unsafe or being unregistered. There would need to be something indicating either of these things before they could ask for registration and ID info.

No one needs to identify themselves in any way unless they are being detained. They can only be detained if they are suspected of a crime. Just as LEO cannot suspect you are not, lets say, legal to be in the US and therefore require ID (there needs to be _reason_ for that assumption), I'd say that they don't have a right to ask for ID for the same reason and while you are flying.
According US Code, you'd need to show local law enforcement the registration certificate:

An operator of an aircraft shall make available for inspection a certificate of registration for the aircraft when requested by a United States Government, State, or local law enforcement officer.

But there is no mention of any requirement to show ID and I'm pretty sure rulings on the US Constitution would trump local and US Code.

So again, the LEO card states to do things if the person is suspected of flying unsafe or being unregistered. There would need to be something indicating either of these things before they could ask for registration and ID info.

Good points....

Thanks for the link. So much has been made about putting the registration numbers on the UAS but not as much discussion of actually having the certification card on you. The card itself doesn't even say it, only that it "represents a recognition of ownership"

Thanks for the link. So much has been made about putting the registration numbers on the UAS but not as much discussion of actually having the certification card on you. The card itself doesn't even say it, only that it "represents a recognition of ownership"
It can be el electronic as well.

No one needs to identify themselves in any way unless they are being detained. ...

That may be true...HOWEVER...if you (like myself) live in a small town, it could be in your best interest to do whatever the officer asks you to do as you still have to live there and you want to be known as a good guy and avoid future hassles. What a wonderful opportunity to introduce myself or get his email address and send him a snapshot of him standing by his cruiser. I will even go so far as to ask the officer if he would like to take my Phantom for a spin. IF he does that, he's going to think you're one of the good guys.

Last edited:
That may be true...HOWEVER...if you (like myself) live in a small town, it could be in your best interest to do whatever the officer asks you to do as you still have to live there and you want to be known as a good guy and avoid future hassles. What a wonderful opportunity to introduce myself or get his email address and send him a snapshot of him standing by his cruiser. I will even go so far as to ask the officer if he would like to take my Phantom for a spin. IF he does that, he's going to think you're one of the good guys.
I agree completely. I have no doubt a slap down could result from not showing ID. Its up to each person to make their own decision on the matter. However, rights not exercised can be rights lost.

Just look at all the local law makers creating laws that regulate public airspace. They do it... because they can. They will continue to do it as long as their are allowed.

If an officer was nice I'd probably hand over my ID and have a chat. If law makers in my area made laws regulating airspace I'd be on the phone with the local police, reporting when and were I'd be flying in violation of their local laws.

Does this mean you don't show your driver's license when being pulled over by a cop?

A cop cannot pull you over without probable cause. It would be like a cop pulling along side of you and asking to see your license.

Yep, the wild west days of droning are over. The mods here also have to decide if they want to allow posts encouraging unlawful flying. There are even a few here who say they will break all of the rules and guidelines, and if you don't like it you can go eff yourselves! I can't have my grandson reading this crap anymore.

Yep, the wild west days of droning are over. The mods here also have to decide if they want to allow posts encouraging unlawful flying. There are even a few here who say they will break all of the rules and guidelines, and if you don't like it you can go eff yourselves! I can't have my grandson reading this crap anymore.
You dead on that snerd .Just read this one yesterday
Will have to go full incognito.............. new name, several proxies and whatnot. Eff 'em!
;)

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj