Drone is inoperable right now. Can't downgrade my RC firmware. HELP!

Reaction score
When I hold the icon on the upper right and I enter the firmware screen I can't do anything because there's no list of firmware versions. Instead, it shows "NONE" in the "Please select firmware version" screen. It also displays "Current Version: Unknown", and a red text "Get Firmware Version Failed".

How do I get around this?

As a sidenote, I have a RC Signal lost problem, I know the fix is that I should downgrade the remote control firmware.

Please help as my drone is useless right now without getting around this!

g0wLJJry81dlSmYJDzr39I3gJR_ISpYS_YAscj9mNU1w4PP5Mx6XEw1NzTxNultuxBCufibuWxX-fWwPtmyEMpjijeukaf86ml3oFvKvAhf5ls_08TXPUM3UUNb_tunlASELZV58Y5KwY9lqdPXXPYfARbuwKkwqQNHSY_x-3Y3xoYXL3wfxC1ZQS_l5r061ScQe2kYhTRYoWwvKKY0Zq5Q2LNeNE8u5Ynd8JxlpDNKghLMsCpgqXZI6iFre7M886S3UDUCBhanJDreEI4R8zhn4wmMWSG9nRavz4KS6sHQJp3iw5HriqvRGZWkVcdZUcvK3eSeDGypT8Ek755c0GbL5WqjpyAllypjrBTPpdvdKcZzh4_7vDtUg3NMVvrGErM_jJ26_wIOR9NyycMH3TI_9uYe6PdlI4Jsgq45zdBKVRD4Non8gjR-2Yc_T09ZFdCYbnMlvg0Pz6M8DBeCyidIZsn4NKgVZO_nLDoqTVdsqqZzdaB6XIUox2PeBL7WvhXLmYVbDe_3PRCNDTfl_82_jpeY_f5AGy5P_OTRCgbq6sX7JZZbiaynWkEbkddjcCimeguWmpN68y522Z4QHEpPWtXjEc4NU=w750-h1334-no

The remote controller has to have connection before you can see the version numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The remote controller has to have connection before you can see the version numbers.

Connection to what? It's connected to the phone. The phone is connected to the internet. The remote is also connected to the drone. What other connection do I need?

Make sure you have updated your remote control and your DG I I go app.

I'm not sure what you mean. I have the latest DJI remote firmware and I'm actually trying to downgrade. The app is the latest version.

What version of FW do you have on your AC? If you have 1.8, you'll need the latest RC FW (1.6) for it to work. If you have a FW earlier then 1.8 on your AC, you must also have a FW earlier than 1.6 on your RC. It's hard to help anyone when they don't provide FW versions. Without that info, any reply is just a guess.

Also, perhaps you had a failed RC FW upgrade based on the red text. We see multiple threads with that issue each day it seems. Did you first see your current problem after a FW upgrade to the AC, the RC, or both?

I see you said that you already tried the graduation cap method and posted screen shots. Assuming you have the latest on your AC, have you already tried the steps to initiate a new RC firmware download through the app?

Press these four buttons on the remote controller at the same time, namely, C1, C2, Recording and the Scroll that adjusts ISO, meanwhile, spare another finger to turn the remote controller on (don’t let the other four fingers go), then turn on the app and you should be able to download the firmware again by following the steps on the app.

Reset_P3_RC.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FrequentFlyer
What version of FW do you have on your AC? If you have 1.8, you'll need the latest RC FW (1.6) for it to work. If you have a FW earlier then 1.8 on your AC, you must also have a FW earlier than 1.6 on your RC. It's hard to help anyone when they don't provide FW versions. Without that info, any reply is just a guess.

Also, perhaps you had a failed RC FW upgrade based on the red text. We see multiple threads with that issue each day it seems. Did you first see your current problem after a FW upgrade to the AC, the RC, or both?

Assuming you have the latest on your AC, have you already tried the steps to initiate a new RC firmware download through the app?

Press these four buttons on the remote controller at the same time, namely, C1, C2, Recording and the Scroll that adjusts ISO, meanwhile, spare another finger to turn the remote controller on (don’t let the other four fingers go), then turn on the app and you should be able to download the firmware again by following the steps on the app.

View attachment 53719
Sorry, what does "AC" mean? I'm guessing you mean the copter, which is indeed on 1.8. I held down the buttons you metioned and now I am redownloading the remote which is not 1.6, but 1.5.80 according to the directions. I'll report back and see if this fixes the problem.

Sorry, what does "AC" mean? I'm guessing you mean the copter, which is indeed on 1.8. I held down the buttons you metioned and now I am redownloading the remote which is not 1.6, but 1.5.80 according to the directions. I'll report back and see if this fixes the problem.

I updated it. Then rebooted. Then the instructions are to update it again. Frustrating.

Hi I had similar issue,update your DJI GO,Your Phantom 3 and RC.It finally worked for me.

Hi I had similar issue,update your DJI GO,Your Phantom 3 and RC.It finally worked for me.
Yes I agree. Since 1.8/1.6 was released, we have seen dozens of threads pertaining to the ABOUT screen not showing firmware versions, the app continuously saying that an upgrade is needed even when one has just been completed, or the app getting stuck on the How to Connect screen. Normally they have been resolved once the user has successfully updated the AC (aircraft), the RC, and the app while connected to the Internet. Some have needed to go through the recovery procedure on their iOS devices.
iPad mini 4 - not connecting- NOW SOLVED :-)

Yes I agree. Since 1.8/1.6 was released, we have seen dozens of threads pertaining to the ABOUT screen not showing firmware versions, the app continuously saying that an upgrade is needed even when one has just been completed, or the app getting stuck on the How to Connect screen. Normally they have been resolved once the user has successfully updated the AC (aircraft), the RC, and the app while connected to the Internet. Some have needed to go through the recovery procedure on their iOS devices.
iPad mini 4 - not connecting- NOW SOLVED :-)
I believe all three are fully updated. The DJI Go app had been updated before these problems even started. Then I realized I updated the quadcopter first before the remote which is what caused this mess. Then I came here to the forums, did the four button method on the remote per Oso's suggestions, then took steps to initiate the RC Firmware in the app. It said it updated but when I rebooted, it asked again for me to update it. In the meantime, there's no way to go back to a previous version of the remote firmware.

Still need help!

I updated it. Then rebooted. Then the instructions are to update it again. Frustrating.
I had the same thing happen. Ended up using the "graduation cap" fix, which sets it back to an old version, then the upgrade from the app works.

Received this from DJI Support, it solved my issue!
- In the DJI Home screen there is a graduation cap or the academy icon on the right upper corner
- Please hold that icon down for about 5-10 secs and a downgrade for the Rc should prompt
- re install the 1.5.7 and the Rc should install that update and then you should have connection between the Drone and RC again

I had the same thing happen. Ended up using the "graduation cap" fix, which sets it back to an old version, then the upgrade from the app works.

Received this from DJI Support, it solved my issue!
- In the DJI Home screen there is a graduation cap or the academy icon on the right upper corner
- Please hold that icon down for about 5-10 secs and a downgrade for the Rc should prompt
- re install the 1.5.7 and the Rc should install that update and then you should have connection between the Drone and RC again
I guess you didn't see the full thread. When I do that, there's no option to go back to a previous version.

Hi guys, I am having a similar problem. According to the Go App, v2.8.0, the aircraft is 1.7.60+ and the RC is 1.5.80. Of course the controller will not talk to the aircraft. When I try to upgrade the P3P to 1.8.80, the report says the aircraft is already at 1.8.80. I have tried flashing several times using multiple SD cards. I have backed down the firmware to 1.7.60 and tried upgrading again with the same result. I am attaching the update file. How can I get the aircraft and the RC to communicate again. By the way the controller is the GL300B model, so I have never been successful booting it to a USB drive. I also tried the graduation cap to downgrade the RC, but it also said no download files available.

Attachments

• P3X_FW_RESULT_AB.txt
    8.5 KB · Views: 360
Hi guys, I am having a similar problem. According to the Go App, v2.8.0, the aircraft is 1.7.60+ and the RC is 1.5.80. Of course the controller will not talk to the aircraft. When I try to upgrade the P3P to 1.8.80, the report says the aircraft is already at 1.8.80. I have tried flashing several times using multiple SD cards. I have backed down the firmware to 1.7.60 and tried upgrading again with the same result. I am attaching the update file. How can I get the aircraft and the RC to communicate again. By the way the controller is the GL300B model, so I have never been successful booting it to a USB drive. I also tried the graduation cap to downgrade the RC, but it also said no download files available.
Did you already try to update the RC to 1.6? Its required if you have 1.8 on your AC due to encryption changes.

Thanks for the quick response. I am not given the chance to update the RC. It updated from 1.5.70 to 1.5.80, but now it says firmware up to date even though it is 1.5.80.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair