drone insurance

Reaction score
hi all,
after a little searching i managed to find an insurer that will cover the drone under their home contents insurance.
Aviva (www.aviva.com) here in the UK will cover the drone, upto a max £2000 single article limit in their option of personal belongings cover in and away from home. I asked about accidental damage, loss and theft and was told it would be covered.

i have pasted a copy of the chat below....

Natalie: Hi , my name's Natalie. How may I help you today?
you: hi, i received an email from one of your staff (DAVID, E-COMM CUSTOMER ADVISOR) today in regards to drone insurance, although he said it covers personal use under the personal belongings cover, i just wanted to know what it actualy covers?
Natalie: so personal belongings covers - Personal Belongings cover will protect your clothing & personal effects in & away from home anywhere in the world. As standard, we’ll pay up to £2,000 for a single item (higher valued items will need to be specified). Cover for items like laptops, mobile phones & Jewellery can be covered. Your personal money is covered up to £750 and credit cards up to £1000.The sum insured can range from £2000 to £20,000.
Natalie: at the moment as we are having system issues I cannot check what limit of cover you have selected for this cover
you: i havnt taken out the insurance yet, i just need to know what the cover is, i.e. accidental damage, loss, stolen etc etc
Natalie: ah ok,
Natalie: how much is the drone worth please?
you: what i mean is, if whilst im out flying my drone and i accidentaly damage it, or it gets lost etc, would i still be covered?
you: it is worth around £850
Natalie: yes it would be covered for accidental damage and theft
Natalie: ok so as long as your personal belongings cover is enough including this with all the other items you take out it can be covered that way, does the drone have any attachments?
you: the only attatchment is a camera
you: if that is what you meant
Natalie: ok so again that needs to be covered under personal belongings cover so as long as the limit you select is enough to cover all your personal items including the drone and camera that will be ok
you: the camera is built into the drone, it comes with it as standard,
Natalie: ah ok that's fine
you: so, to recap, i would be covered under my home contents policy which also covers personal belongings (upto a certain limit) away from home and therefore accidental damage, loss and theft?
Natalie: yes you would need to add the personal belongings cover on as that is an optional cover
you: ok makes sense to me

you: oh one more question,
Natalie: sure
you: if taking out the personal belongings cover option, does that only cover my belongings or does that include the wifes personal belongings as well?
Natalie: it will include everyone that lives at the address, so the figure you enter for the amount of cover you need will need to incorporate that
Natalie: so on the number of adults and children field, whoever you have included there would be covered
you: is there anything that isnt covered? i mean such as a music keyboard? bass guitar etc
Natalie: anything over £2000 will need to be specified, but any belongings you take out of the home would be covered, apart from hearing aid, riding tack and contact lenses
you: ok thank you for that
Natalie: no problem
Natalie: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
you: would i need to do a list of items just in case, what about receipts etc
you: i doubt i have recepts for everything
Natalie: no you wouldn't need to list them, we only need to list items that are over our single item limit of £2000, no if you made a claim and you did have some receipts it can sometimes speed it up but they are not essential
you: ok thank you for all your help
Natalie: no problem, take care

Natalie: Thank you for chatting with me today. We'd love to know what you think of our chat service. If you're happy to answer a few quick questions, click on 'Close Chat'.

please note, this is from aviva here in the UK, i do not have any information about insurance from anyone or anywhere else.

regards

sean

Check the definition of "accidental damage". I cant copy/paste, but just read it, it requires an outside force. Your drone will be covered if a tree falls on it, but not if you crash it.

I also have an email saying word for word that "drone is covered" as far as i can see, ive not been able to find any other insurance company in the uk that covers the drone. Besides ive kept all correspondence in regards to cover and anyway i needed contents cover so i took it out. Ive also got 3rd party liabilty cover

A friend of mine crashed his xk detect and claimed he tripped over his dog and fell on it while it was on his living room floor, direct line required pictures of the broken drone but that was no problem because it was in bits anyway, sent him a cheque within days.

So if you crash your drone then claim on your contents under accidental damage, my 3.5k breitling is covered out of the house anywhere in the world against dropping, tripping, smashing and theft

Hi all I called up Barclays UK and asked if I could add this onto my gadget insurance as my P3A arrives today and they said it would be possible. I explicitly mentioned that if I did claim that it would be pilot error (as I am a newbie) and they said it was covered under accidental damage. Let's hopes its not needed :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

just guessing, is there none ? can I just lose my drone and they will simply give me a new one? no deductible ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.