Drone in near miss with plane near Edinburgh Airport

400 ft and 20-30 m away. Plane was probably traveling 90-100 m/sec so the pilot would have had about 1/4 of a second to react! No way the plane could respond that quickly. Once again, sounds like more hyperbole than fact!

Reactions: sparky1111
400 ft and 20-30 m away. Plane was probably traveling 90-100 m/sec so the pilot would have had about 1/4 of a second to react! No way the plane could respond that quickly. Once again, sounds like more hyperbole than fact!

Not buying it. Probably another "shopping bag" carried up by the wind.

Anything that is not 100% identifiable is now a DRONE instead of UFO. Everyone "wants" to see a drone so therefore that's what all UFO's are now.

Not buying it. Probably another "shopping bag" carried up by the wind.

Anything that is not 100% identifiable is now a DRONE instead of UFO. Everyone "wants" to see a drone so therefore that's what all UFO's are now.
I said using that windsurfer would cause trouble and to keep it in LOI, Al..... still the battery mod worked out! LOL!

Surely this has to be a case of #FakeNews. Not only is a drone at 4, 000 feet not believable but actually trying to buzz an aircraft at that height is even more unbelievable. Sources tell me that anything usual in the sky now that pilots see is reported as a drone. As others have said it could have well been a balloon or bag.

Surely this has to be a case of #FakeNews. Not only is a drone at 4, 000 feet not believable but actually trying to buzz an aircraft at that height is even more unbelievable. Sources tell me that anything usual in the sky now that pilots see is reported as a drone. As others have said it could have well been a balloon or bag.

Even if there was no drone it doesn't make it fake news.

But at least you got to use a hash tag, are you trending now?

I wish they would make it even more sensational, how about a pitbull on a drone. Like George Carlin said, It's not a near miss it's a near hit because if he would have nearly missed it he would have hit it.

Reactions: jwmcgrath

I don't think that's what it means - it means that the pilots estimate that they missed it by 20 - 30 m. It could have been visible for far longer than that - long enough to climb or descend to avoid.

However, a report at 4000 ft does mean a P2 or older - if it was a DJI product. Maybe we will even get to hear the result of the investigation.

This graph shows the alarming increase in reported drone/airplane interactions in Britain
i-3h73GPD-M.jpg

This is what drives news reports like this (and helps convince pilots that the air around them is buzzing with drones).

Here are the brief details of actual reports for the last year.
Note how many are above 2000 ft (shaded) and how high some reports are.
I wonder how much longer till the investigators become just a little bit skeptical of high altitude "drones"?
i-8TKxktK-XL.jpg

You can read the investigation reports here:
Monthly meeting May 2016 | UK Airprox Board
Not one expresses any skepticism.

More laughs to be had reading some US FAA drone incident reports here: Dropbox - UFO UAS FAA.xls

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl