Drone ignored pull-back command = crashed

If the data shows he commanded a reverse motion and there was no response, I have no issue saying there's something wrong with his P4. What I prefer to avoid is declaritve statements in the absence of evidence. That includes from the operator. There is a strong correlation between the number of times the operator says "it wasn't me" and the likelihood it was.

Same applies to saying taking off from a metal table is OK. I'd rather he say "I know normally this is a bad idea, but for me it worked. Dunno why. YMMV."

A lot of people come here to learn. I want to make sure what people get from this site is as accurate as possible.

I have to say something as a relatively new "participant" to the forums (i've read the forums for some time before trying to contribute and ask real actual questions). Any new user that happens to see how this thread was handled from the get go would turn them away. NONE of us were there with the OP, PERIOD. The logs show no signal interference, and he clearly knows what he is doing for what he wants to do. Second, while ferrous metal object might affect most of us, including myself (I can't launch from metal objects without serious compass calibration issues, ATTI or GPS mode), it doesn't mean that he does as well. Different birds / areas / conditions will behave differently than any others experiences. no 2 experiences will be 100% IDENTICAL EVERY TiME from user to user.

Quite frankly I am appalled at the immediate speculation that he doesn't know what he's doing. He says he pulled back on the right control stick, and it didn't respond. CLEARLY there is an issue, and not one person can say they haven't seen a phantom do something strange, maybe not that in particular, but definitely something "abnormal". Hell, just the other day I was demonstrating OAS to some neighbors like I have tested probably 15 times since purchasing my P4, and for whatever reason it just decided to initiate and work AFTER it almost took me out. (yes, like an idiot I fly it TOWARDS me, in perfect alignment, watching in the APP to make sure it detects the "object" which is me, and it sees it, shows where, etc etc, but didn't try to stop until I had to duck, it passed over he, then the beeps started BEHIND me, and it applied the brakes).

This whole thing feels like dealing with DJI directly, who will try everything in their power to not have to admit a problem with the product, and prove it was the pilots error, or he was in an area he wasn't flying in. I can tell you, that while transformers and power lines are bad, and you shouldn't fly close to them, those are not the SUPER HIGH powered versions you see wreaking havoc on FC's and compasses that cause crashes, these are every day transformers that we ALL have nearby in town. The only reason you wouldn't see these in regular patterns is if you lived in the sticks., and even then they are every so often, because a home needs power!

Again, I get that a lot of fly away and other issues ARE user related, but what ever happened to benefit of the doubt? Would everybody like for someone to assume they are a ******* until you were able to 100% exonerate yourself? What happened to community, to help try and solve an issue instead of immediately looking for every possibly reason to blame someone who shares in the same hobby? I'd rather help him to no end find the issue / answer, so it doesn't get repeated than to try and beat him down and say "you just suck as a pilot, and you shouldn't own a phantom if you can't fly it", that is just BS and arrogant.

/rant

I can only say that people offering possible explanations is not an attempt to ajudicate DJI from being the problem. They are trying to give the OP possible reasons why the craft ended up in pieces. Would you rather have everyone say "beats me why that could of happened sorry to hear about it, ok let's move on to next post"? Or maybe "oh well I guess Dji still has issues to resolve, sorry about your luck"
If I had an issue and felt the need to post here to find possible reasons why it happened I would welcome any input whether it was implied that it was my fault, the whether, Dji or any other possible situation that could she'd light as to what could of happened so that I could know not to make that mistake again. For instance I took my P3, P4, and I1 out Sunday. I first started with the I1 and it was acting a bit strange, lots of drift, leaning a bit, slow to brake and just not as responsive. I then put the P3 up and it was having a bit of an issue but not as bad as I1. By the time I got to the P4 it was late in the day and it worked great. I just happened to check the Kp index and seen that it was at 6. So if I had crashed one of those and someone offered that up as a reason and therefore putting the blame on me I would had gained a bit of knowledge and hopefully would not duplicate that again.
Just my dollars worth

Still no update from the original poster, when really it takes literally 20 seconds to upload a video from his mobile device and show he pulled back on the sticks.

If the data shows he commanded a reverse motion and there was no response, I have no issue saying there's something wrong with his P4. What I prefer to avoid is declaritve statements in the absence of evidence. That includes from the operator. There is a strong correlation between the number of times the operator says "it wasn't me" and the likelihood it was.

Perhaps the original poster has found an error in his ways? until shown otherwise, I am with Ian Wood on this.

I can only say that people offering possible explanations is not an attempt to ajudicate DJI from being the problem. They are trying to give the OP possible reasons why the craft ended up in pieces. Would you rather have everyone say "beats me why that could of happened sorry to hear about it, ok let's move on to next post"? Or maybe "oh well I guess Dji still has issues to resolve, sorry about your luck"
If I had an issue and felt the need to post here to find possible reasons why it happened I would welcome any input whether it was implied that it was my fault, the whether, Dji or any other possible situation that could she'd light as to what could of happened so that I could know not to make that mistake again. For instance I took my P3, P4, and I1 out Sunday. I first started with the I1 and it was acting a bit strange, lots of drift, leaning a bit, slow to brake and just not as responsive. I then put the P3 up and it was having a bit of an issue but not as bad as I1. By the time I got to the P4 it was late in the day and it worked great. I just happened to check the Kp index and seen that it was at 6. So if I had crashed one of those and someone offered that up as a reason and therefore putting the blame on me I would had gained a bit of knowledge and hopefully would not duplicate that again.
Just my dollars worth

More or less my issue at hand was with the arrogant way in which he was addressed. I never once indicated in had an issue with assuming most cases were pilot error, but replies of "USER ERROR " or similar posts indicating no other help is more my issue, and almost insisting that the UAV'S are incapable of error is my big issue. People can be a little less rude, and maybe try offering further help instead of just trying to prove it was his fault, just my $0.02.

In the case of P4 IMHO anything is possible. My craft has strange things occur from time to time. My P3P, even with all the little issues over the last year, I feel it is way more predictable. To this day I have more confidence in my P3P than my P4 when it comes to reliability to do what I command.

My P4 anomalies include:

40' ascents and descends with no stick command in S and P modes. This is similar to the 8' yoyo effect we're all use to, but 5X greater. It's also reproducible.

P4 would not descend in P mode with OA Enabled, 100% left stick down. Switching to S mode allowed descending. This one just happened Sunday, I'll try to reproduce next flight.

I'll have my DAT file on this soon, been busy lately with family issues.

I'm really eager to see the results of the OPs DAT files.

Last edited:
Reactions: arcaine25
That's too bad :( given the observed differences in the p4 production line output. I wonder if you're p4 was defective in some way. From my prospective this phantom has been the most consistent and rock solid. I have way more confidence with this bird than p3p or p2v+

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

it could be suspect, but ,not everyone has time to be on the forums all the time. where's the love and compassion ;)

could also be that with the overwhelming negative results (not everyone) that he's done with this thread, i would have been for sure. speculation can go both ways :)

Reactions: ZaqHydN
Also, his last login was over 2 days and 18 hours ago..

Been a while since I logged in to see if any relevant and useful information has surfaced.

Evidently not surprised. Too many people just want me to qualify myself to solve the drama of what most are convinced as pilot error in spite of the original purpose of this thread, which was to see if anyone else had experienced the problem. I've lost interest seeking help from this BBS entirely. I used to run a BBS, not interested in the drama; only interested in collaborating with others that may have encountered this unusual type of activity. I don't have to prove myself to anyone other than the DJI technical support team, and I'm not just on principal.

Now that I have discovered I'm not the only one that has had this control glitch happen, I can at least move forward with trying to find out through my own experience of troubleshooting electronics.

Still haven't been able to calibrate the front cameras, I have a "Forward Vision Sensors Calibration Error" and the Assistant 2 Software isn't performing a complete calibration. I get through the steps and the calculations/calibration gets to 50% and fails. I suppose that's off-topic.

. . . as for the Metallic Picnic Table VTOL #mythbusting, you can view a simple VTOL exercise on this other popular BBS called YouTube:

If anyone has a solution (or link to the solution) for calibrating the forward vision sensors, and perhaps some insight on the Assistant2 calibration problem, please chime in.

Been a while since I logged in to see if any relevant and useful information has surfaced.

Evidently not surprised. Too many people just want me to qualify myself to solve the drama of what most are convinced as pilot error in spite of the original purpose of this thread, which was to see if anyone else had experienced the problem. I've lost interest seeking help from this BBS entirely. I used to run a BBS, not interested in the drama; only interested in collaborating with others that may have encountered this unusual type of activity. I don't have to prove myself to anyone other than the DJI technical support team, and I'm not just on principal.

Now that I have discovered I'm not the only one that has had this control glitch happen, I can at least move forward with trying to find out through my own experience of troubleshooting electronics.

Still haven't been able to calibrate the front cameras, I have a "Forward Vision Sensors Calibration Error" and the Assistant 2 Software isn't performing a complete calibration. I get through the steps and the calculations/calibration gets to 50% and fails. I suppose that's off-topic.

. . . as for the Metallic Picnic Table VTOL #mythbusting, you can view a simple VTOL exercise on this other popular BBS called YouTube:

If anyone has a solution (or link to the solution) for calibrating the forward vision sensors, and perhaps some insight on the Assistant2 calibration problem, please chime in.

All we are asking is to see your flight path that you pulled back on the sticks at the time of crash. Until such time, I am going to say operator failure and not being confident enough with flying around an object.

Prove me otherwise and post the 10 second video of the pull back command, as this will clearly demonstrate you were in fact trying to pull back.

If you continue to say it is a glitch with out proof then you are trying to hide what really happened.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Good news, I managed to get the Forward Vision Sensors calibrated by using the Assistant Software on my DELL Laptop instead of my HP Desktop. Could be a Monitor Resolution/ Image projection issue or just that HP computers aren't worth the copper. I only have one because it was a free upgrade, otherwise, I'm a DELL guy.

Calibration of Front Sensors

All we are asking is to see your flight path that you pulled back on the sticks at the time of crash. Until such time, I am going to say operator failure and not being confident enough with flying around an object.

Prove me otherwise and post the 10 second video of the pull back command, as this will clearly demonstrate you were in fact trying to pull back.

If you continue to say it is a glitch with out proof then you are trying to hide what really happened.

I could be mistaken, but he did put up a log of what happened, with a healthy drones "diagnosis" info. Now, it's been a minute since I read the thread, but if I am not mistaken, and I coul dbe, but somoen said "just upload the log to healthy drones and show us" so, after getting the log file and uploading to healthy drones, someone then said "you can't trust healthy drones blah blabh blah" or something similar.. I too would just give up if that is the BS I kept getting, but that is just me! :)

if I am not mistaken, and I coul dbe, but somoen said "just upload the log to healthy drones and show us" so, after getting the log file and uploading to healthy drones, someone then said "you can't trust healthy drones blah blabh blah" or something similar.. I too would just give up if that is the BS I kept getting, but that is just me! :)
Unfortunately HealthyDrones gives only the most basic summary with no data to show what really happened in an incident.
Without real data no-one can tell what happened and with the data recording in the P3/P4 and the app, it's very easy to see what happened.
The data is there if you want to see it and find the truth.
Refusing to show the data does appear suspicious.

Unfortunately HealthyDrones gives only the most basic summary with no data to show what really happened in an incident.
Without real data no-one can tell what happened.

While I get that and understand as well as agree, I was hoping that made my point. No one was offering much other than saying "you did it, you suck" (yes, that is an exaggeration obviously) and then telling him to upload, more than once, to HD.. then once he does it, many more comment basically saying "that was pointless, their info is basic, doesn't say anything of value" etc etc.. so being told to do one thing,then when done it wasn't what was needed... I would be frustrated to no end.

then telling him to upload, more than once, to HD.. then once he does it, many more comment basically saying "that was pointless, their info is basic, doesn't say anything of value" etc etc.. .
Unfortunately HD analysis is next to useless and gives no details.
But people (who don't realise this) on forums keep suggesting it.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ is the place to go IF anyone wants to find out what happened in any Phantom incident.

I investigate Phantom problems every week and couldn't do that without Phantomhelp.com analysis.
I've found genuine issues and advised the owners who have contacted DJI and had their problem machines replaced.
I also find cases of user error.
Without real data to analyse, no-one has a clue what really happened.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl