Drone Hinders Medical Chopper According to Police

What a ******* ******. This is exactly what this hobby doesn't need right now when authorities are talking about tougher rules.
I'll believe the statements of the police over him anyway and so would a court.

UAVs seem to be getting into the headlines every week or so now.
I can see where all this is heading........

i dont really trust the timeframe that the police give.
I've experienced many times when tons of cars have been towed due to a surprise "no parking, construction" thing.
The police always say they put up signs, yet so many people who live in the area never saw them? Please.

If anything, they asked him at the very last minute to land it and I bet they expect it to drop out of the sky. He was probably slow in landing it and they got miffed.

But think about the facts. 75ft right above the wreck?
So where exactly is the medical chopper?

BTW, I live in NYC. So it's not a rare thing for cops to outright lie. Hell, got a retired NYC detective as a friend that says they all do it.

2trickpony said:
UAVs seem to be getting into the headlines every week or so now.
I can see where all this is heading........

Sigh yep.

I jumped onto the Quad bandwagon as soon as the phantom 1.1.1 was for sale at $399 on B&H.

More and more are entering the hobby. Unfortunately some morons are in that mix.

Fact is he should not have been filming over a crash scene. Me I'd show more respect and restraint. Probably put to make a quick buck selling footage to the news.

The last line of the article is a good measure of how much research was done before publishing:

"The Federal Aviation Administration bars the commercial use of drones."

OI Photography said:
The last line of the article is a good measure of how much research was done before publishing:

Lol. Another reason why you can't believe everything you read! More like "strongly disagrees with..."

Why would anybody in their right mind refuse to land their $4,000 drone when they knew a helicopter would be landing near by. This story doesn't add up. I don't think it was very wise or ethical of the operator to be flying around an accident scene but it sounds more like the deputies are covering their butts for not telling him to get out of the area sooner.

OI Photography said:

True that.

I wonder what was the lead up to his reply of "I'm not an idiot." :lol:

I'v done photojournalism work previously... i wouldn't believe everything you read in the newspapers :roll:

The drone owner makes a good point, if they would have told him a helicopter is coming, he would have put the drone down ASAP... like he said, he isn't stupid.

If/when i was on scene a few times to take photos and i'm told to get out of the area, i sure wouldn't cooperate because i know my rights.

If i'm told to please get out of the area to make room for emergency vehicles/personal, or simply 'you are obstructing emergency personal/vehicle please move away' then i would GTFO ASAP.

I would like to hear both side of the stories before passing judgement... sadly newspapers now a day are quick to publish anything...

I sure hope that no one thinks that doing ANYTHING that in anyway interferes with the work of Public Safety officials...Fire, Police, EMS, etc....and brings this kind of negative publicity to the hobby is helping the future of MultiRotor craft. I just bristle when I read the comments that seem so belligerent in these situations. IF you are hovering a strange device 75 feet over an accident scene when there have been injuries....you should NOT have to be told that possibly an EMS chopper might be on the way...OR...that hovering your bird over a scene with lots of emergency vehicles and personnel at work, just MIGHT not be a wise thing to do...

To go to the "Hard line" status of, "I've got MY rights, NO ONE tells ME where or when to fly....etc...etc..etc...!" does NOT win any friends, appease your neighbors, make for good community relations, etc. We ALL need to realize that our unique "toys" already don't have the best press, create a lot of noise and, for many people, pose a lot of threats, both real and imagined.

So...use some intelligence, practice good judgment, stay out of the way of professional people who are PAID and AUTHORIZED to do their difficult job....and most of all, "Don't be THAT guy...!!!..."

America...innocent until proven guilty. he said he would have landed. who would refuse to land? this story reeks of BS from the media, the police or both. way too many unknowns to call the guy a jerk or an idiot.
We definitely don't need the negative press but that is the fault of the press really. They sensationalize, it's what they do!

besides the wind from a full size heli would have destroyed a multirotor before it even got close!
he would have landed knowing it was coming and the cops, siting a felony, would have tazed him while flying if it were so impeding of rescue.

spunrdneck said:
America...innocent until proven guilty. he said he would have landed. who would refuse to land? this story reeks of BS from the media, the police or both. way too many unknowns to call the guy a jerk or an idiot.
We definitely don't need the negative press but that is the fault of the press really. They sensationalize, it's what they do!

besides the wind from a full size heli would have destroyed a multirotor before it even got close!
he would have landed knowing it was coming and the cops, siting a felony, would have tazed him while flying if it were so impeding of rescue.

Completely, 100% spoken like someone with smarts.

If more people thought like you, the world would be a better place.

No. Spoken like a conspiracy theorist. A police officer is authorised to use their judgement and make whatever legal directive they need to do their job. If you ignore one of these directives you end up prosecuted.

Ozzyguy said:
No. Spoken like a conspiracy theorist. A police officer is authorised to use their judgement and make whatever legal directive they need to do their job. If you ignore one of these directives you end up prosecuted.

uhh...that was my point ozz, if they told him to land he would have landed or it would have crashed as they cuffed him.... see my point there? where do you get conspiracy theorist? :roll:

spunrdneck said:
Ozzyguy said:

uhh...that was my point ozz, if they told him to land he would have landed or it would have crashed as they cuffed him.... see my point there? where do you get conspiracy theorist? :roll:

I wonder that too... :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic