Drone for High School - Need Advice, Please...

Reaction score
I am a high school principal, and I'm considering buying a DJI Phantom2 for our high school. I am currently researching to learn more. Does anyone have suggestions or advice for me? I'm looking at Amazon.com. Should I purchase a bundle with a camera or purchase them separately? I appreciate any constructive input.

Welcome to the forum
A little more info would help what are you going to use it for ?
B&H photo is a good place to buy .

and if you are looking an FPV system out of the box RTF (ready to fly) i have couple of these bundles left.
http://shop.uavrepairshop.com/Phantom-2 ... e-0033.htm

everything is included:
Phantom 2
Zenmuse H3-3D
Gopro 4 Black
7" screen
Video Downlink
mini iOSD
PRO Case...

Everything!

let me know if you need any help or if you have any questions.

750r said:
Welcome to the forum
A little more info would help what are you going to use it for ?
B&H photo is a good place to buy .

Totally agree - more info would help - what are you hoping to use it for?

Thanks for the welcome and information. We are coming up with more ideas for its use each day. We want to use it for video production of our sites and sports venues. We also want to use it in our Environmental Science class and our Robotics class. We could use it for surveillance of our parking lot and campus before and after school as well as lunch time. We could use it for video taping parts of our practices, especially band practice.

BomberPrincipal said:
Thanks for the welcome and information. We are coming up with more ideas for its use each day. We want to use it for video production of our sites and sports venues. We also want to use it in our Environmental Science class and our Robotics class. We could use it for surveillance of our parking lot and campus before and after school as well as lunch time. We could use it for video taping parts of our practices, especially band practice.

Ok - lot's of cool ideas there :)

The flight time limits of the Phantom might make it hard to use as a format for parking lot surveillance - I mean - you're going to get 20 mins max on a battery and often less or much less than that.

Using it for video footage for outdoor sports venues can work - Most of us would advise against flying it over groups of people - if you want good video production - go with the Phantom 2 with HD3D gimbal and a gopro 4 - awesome footage...

you'll also want an FPV setup - because it will help you get the shots you want.

Certainly would be perfect for taping parts of practice - that is an ideal usage - again... it has to be outside

You can fly the drone indoors in a very large space - but you would be doing that without GPS and that makes it trickier (and again - I wouldn't do it over anyone)

Hope that helps!

If you're in florida I can bring mine over and give you a demo.
But with the number of users in this forum, chances are you have one pilot as a neighbor.
For starters, look at the FC40.
It would suit your beginning needs quite well.
Or a phantom 2 with gopro hero camera.

As an educational tool in a class room, be looking at the smaller units designed for indoor use.
At under a hundred bucks a unit, you could buy a dozen with ease.

BomberPrincipal...probably the worst user name for a Principal looking to buy a flying device!

Your robotics class would love one. But, make them build one. Buy some Flamewheel 450 kits, have the students fundraise to afford them, and then raffle them off or something to one lucky student.

Have you consulted your liability insurance?

Using it for surveillance is probably not a good idea due to short battery life.

BomberPrincipal said:
I am a high school principal, and I'm considering buying a DJI Phantom2 for our high school. I am currently researching to learn more. Does anyone have suggestions or advice for me? I'm looking at Amazon.com. Should I purchase a bundle with a camera or purchase them separately? I appreciate any constructive input.

IMHO, don't use Amazon! I have found that I get higher quality product and customer service from B&H Photo. They have fresh stock and fast turn around on questions. I am a huge user of Amazon but for some reason I have gotten bad quality or DOA on quadcopters and related items from them. I think part of the problem is that with Amazon it is easy to not pay attention and buy something from a "marketplace" (i.e. sorta like eBay) vendor instead of actually Amazon or DJI.

Good luck!

spudraleigh said:
IMHO, don't use Amazon! I have found that I get higher quality product and customer service from B&H Photo. They have fresh stock and fast turn around on questions. I am a huge user of Amazon but for some reason I have gotten bad quality or DOA on quadcopters and related items from them. I think part of the problem is that with Amazon it is easy to not pay attention and buy something from a "marketplace" (i.e. sorta like eBay) vendor instead of actually Amazon or DJI.

I'm a longtime customer (15 years+) of both Amazon and B&H Photo and they both have treated me like a king. You can't go wrong with either one.

I bought my Vision+ bundle (hard case + extra battery + 32GB SD card) from B&H. I ordered some carbon props from Amazon in October but didnt like them and requested a return. Amazon said to keep the item as a gift and they refunded me in full. Gotta love that !!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj