Drone for Grandfather

Reaction score
My 82 year old granddad wants my 3 Standard. I've ordered an advanced. He has flown RC airplanes for 20 years. He is amazed by what the phantom can do. He is used to having to be in complete control at all times.
My question for you guys is what would be the cheapest device for him to use? He said he doesn't need one but I've stressed to him even if he doesn't look at it he still needs one because of the vital info it gives.

He plans on taking the camera off. Is that okay? I know he will never fly it out of sight.
Honestly probably will keep it near beginner mode levels.

Thanks for your advice. I was thinking a small device that he can use

Why would he take the camera off? My grandfather wants one as well after seeing my P3P. My concern is his eyesight as the Phantom gets further away its hard to tell which ways its facing without moving a little. Having the first person camera view eliminates that worry but also requires him to setup more equipment when flying.

Because I don't think he "trust" it. Like I mentioned he is use to flying RC airplanes where you are in total control and have to have eyes on at all times.

I don't see a scenario where he flys beyond 150 away from him

Let him fly with the camera, he will start loving it.

He is correct in his understanding of VLOS whereas most of you think it's LOS. Those rules are years old and are no different for multirotor here in the US.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers