Drone flights face FAA hit

RobertMfromLI said:
Yes, I think greed will play a factor. But I think that greed will be based on who continues to lobby them to ensure that the rules and guidelines only allow existing full sized copter companies to use drones for aerial work, with a tiny handful of those who get pilots licenses slipping in at some point. You know, kinda like what's happening now.

Yep, and the little guy gets beat out of the game.

bobbycwall said:
Ultralights don't require a pilot's license. How do they fit into the thinking on all this?

Simple. Stick a camera on it, use it for commercial filming, and viola!!! Per the NTSB ruling, and what the FAA is doing, it's now a class of operations and equipment that fits within the category they are regulating and "licensing on a case by case basis" with only a tiny handful of existing "big copter"/"big plane" companies getting licenses. :( :cry:

I thought I posted this somewhere else, but I can't find it. Apologies for double posting if I did.

Adopted: July 30,2017 Effective: October 4,2017

SUMMARY: This amendment establishes rules governing the operation of small unmanned aircraft systems in the United States. The rule defines sUAV vehicles in two categories: single-engine and multi-rotor. To be considered an sUAV vehicle, the aircraft must weigh less than 55 pounds. Both single-engine and multi-rotor vehicles may not contain an occupant. Those vehicles which exceed the above criteria will be considered aircraft for purposes of airworthiness certification and registration, and their operators will be subject to the same certification requirements as are aircraft operators. These rules for sUAV vehicles are needed to achieve an acceptable level of air safety by reducing potential conflict with other airspace users and to provide protection to persons and property on the ground.

The rule governs the operation of sUAV vehicles by specifying the airspace which requires prior authorization of Air Traffic Control (ATC), prohibiting operation over congested areas and airports. Right-of-way and minimum visibility rules are also established.

The FAA has chosen not to promulgate Federal regulations regarding pilot certification, vehicle certification, and vehicle registration, preferring that the sUAV community assume the initiative for the development of these important safety programs. The sUAV community is expected to take positive action to develop these programs in a timely manner and gain FAA approval for their implementation. Should this approach fail to meet FAA safety objectives, further regulatory action may be necessary.

This parody was adapted from the preamble of the FAA Part 103-Ultralight Vehicles Operating Requirements. http://www.usua.org/Rules/faa103.htm

Most of you are too young to remember the issues with people flying unlicensed, uncertified aircraft in the 1970's. Hobbyists would strap on a parachute or oversized glider and a lawnmower engine, and fly. Some, actually most of them crashed. There were lots of injuries and some even died. People below them were at risk and many saw their flights as reckless and careless as some even flew near airports. Other ultralight pilots demanded the FAA do something about them before they ruined the hobby for everyone.

Sound familiar? You could go back to all the news and comments about the Ultralight Aircraft of the time and substitute UAV for ultralight and it would look like the comments were written today. Except accidents from sUAVs rarely injure, let alone kill anyone, but that doesn't stop the fear-mongering.

It took the FAA eight years, starting with an Advisory Circular (AC 60-10) on May 16, 1964 and culminating with FAA Part 103 in September of 1982. Ultralight classification and rules were finally codified. Mostly to everyone's satisfaction. The quote above was the from the Preamble to FAR 103 rules, but substituting sUAV for Ultralight, and the date changed for those whom satire is a difficult concept.

You can read the whole FAA publication here: http://www.usua.org/Rules/faa103.htm, FAR 103-Ultralight Vehicles. I bring this up because it may be helpful to read the FAA response to the comments of the NPRM that became FAR Part 103 when composing your response when the NPRM for sUAV rules are finally released by the FAA.

SteveMann said:
Most of you are too young to remember the issues with people flying unlicensed, uncertified aircraft in the 1970's. Hobbyists would strap on a parachute or oversized glider and a lawnmower engine, and fly. Some, actually most of them crashed. There were lots of injuries and some even died. People below them were at risk and many saw their flights as reckless and careless as some even flew near airports. Other ultralight pilots demanded the FAA do something about them before they ruined the hobby for everyone.

Sound familiar?

Yes, yes it does Steve.

Didn't John Denver die in an ultralight crash?

And I just got a pretty face, I'm not really all that young. :oops:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues